Deborah Blum - Murder and Chemistry in Jazz Age New York
Posted: 23 April 2010 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

For many of us, chemistry is something we remember with groans from high school. Periodic Table of the Elements—what a pain to memorize, and what was the point, anyway?

So how do you take a subject like chemistry and make it exciting, intriguing, and compelling?

With her new book The Poisoner’s Handbook, Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Deb Blum has done just that. Blum takes a page from the “CSI” franchise, and moves that familiar narrative of crime, intrigue, and high tech bad-guy catching back into the early days of the 20th century. There, in jazz age New York, she chronicles the birth of forensic chemistry at the hands of two scientific and public health pioneers—the city’s chief medical examiner Charles Norris, and his chemistry whiz side-kick Alexander Gettler.

And while chronicling their poison-sleuthing careers, Blum also teaches quite a bit of science. Her book is a case study in science popularization, and one we should all be paying close attention to.

Deborah Blum is a Pulitzer-prize winning science writer and has been a professor of journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Madison since 1997. Prior to that, she spent over a decade working as a science writer for the Sacramento Bee, where her series on ethical issues in primate research, “The Monkey Wars,” won the 1992 Pulitzer.

The Monkey Wars also became a book, and since then Blum has written numerous others: A Field Guide for Science Writers, Sex on the Brain, Love at Goon Park: Harry Harlow and the Science of Affection, and Ghost Hunters: William James and the Scientific Search for Life After Death.

Blum has also written for numerous publications including The Los Angeles Times, The Boston Globe, and The New York Times. She was president of the National Association of Science Writers from 2002-2004, and currently serves on advisory boards to the Council for Advancement of Science Writing and the World Federation of Science Journalists. 

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/deborah_blum_murder_and_chemistry_in_jazz_age_new_york/

Posted: 25 April 2010 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-04-25

Chris, We rebroadcast your interviews and noticed you have a “Call to Action”. These are improper on our Community Radio station. All not for profits are forbidden to use what they call these “Call to Actions”. We can tell people where they can obtain a book or cd but not request them to go there or to buy anything. We rebroadcast by permission on KKFI our local public radio station on Sunday mornings at 7AM.  90.1FM Kansas City Community Radio. We steam live at KKFI.org.

I must delete these before broadcasting. Please just tell listeners where to go to get items.

Thanks
Gary
Voice of Reason

Posted: 25 April 2010 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2010-02-20

A great book, as a science teacher I highly recommend it to any and all, regardless of scientific leanings.
Blum makes forensic chemistry come alive.  Highly recommended.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 27 April 2010 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

This was a really good choice Chris. Thanks. Will definitely get the book.

Doug had a great question—it is sort of amazing that they might poison animals in a courtroom to get the “point” across…

I was reminded of the great articles that Isaac Asimov did over the years for F&SF; that were chemistry related—-
if you google “Asimov” “paradimethylaminobenzaldehyde” you will get a reference to one that still, amazingly,sticks in our minds...

I don’t know how many more of these stories Deborah Blum has to tell but I hope they don’t stop.

Deborah Blum said the editors didn’t want “chemistry” in the title—google “Murder and Chemistry” and you get endless links to this episode!

[ Edited: 27 April 2010 07:08 PM by Jackson ]

Posted: 27 April 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I really liked this interview. I’ve heard her interviewed on another podcast, and this one added more to what I’d heard before. I do hope she does a sequel, it certainly looks as if she has enough material. I will be getting the book.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 April 2010 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

I also enjoyed the podcast, and will be looking forward to reading the book. Thanks for taking my question!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 May 2010 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

Gary,
I wasn’t aware of this. I’ll take this into consideration on future shows.

I’m glad everybody enjoyed this one….

chris

Posted: 01 May 2010 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

Jackson,
we used that title on purpose for just that reason ;>

cm

Posted: 02 May 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-05-02

I liked this podcast and ordered the book the next day

Posted: 27 May 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I just finished the book. It was great. It makes me wonder that my grandparents lived long enough to have and raise children!
Now, I’m going to read it again…in case I missed something!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 24 July 2011 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

I got a copy as well—enjoyed it.

Deborah Blum writes a book review for WSJ yesterday on the cocaine addiiction of Sigmund Freud and William Halsted
” Miracle Drug’s Dark SIde”

RV-AD646_COCAIN_D_20110720215811.jpg

The book is also the cover review for today 7/24/2011 NYT Book Review:
[An Anatomy of an Addiction]