Inedia
Posted: 27 April 2010 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Inedia is by far my absolute favorite woo.  Inedia, for those who don’t know, is the idea that human beings can survive without food.  There is also an extremely similar, though technically different, concept known as breatharianism.  Breatharianism is the idea that humans can survive on nothing more than water, air, prana (the mystical life energy from Hindu mythology), and/or sunlight.  (Apparently humans are plants).  I use the terms interchangeably.  As far as I can tell the difference is academic.  I know what you’re thinking, “People actually believe this lunacy?”  Yes, yes they do.  In fact, a Scottish woman named Verity Lynn was nominated for a Darwin Award in 1999 after she set out for some camping and died of hypothermia and dehydration, exacerbated by starvation.

My favorite ‘practitioner’ of this profoundly insightful slice of wisdom is a woman named Ellen Greve, or Jasmuheen as she prefers to call herself.  She’s probably the most famous and ardent supporter/practitioner of inedia and has made some delightfully scientific claims to back up her ideas.  I like the following gems:
—She has stated that her DNA has expanded from 2 to 12 strands to absorb more hydrogen.
—She has also said that she has survived on 300 calories a day for the last 14 years and supplements her fluid intake with ‘cosmic particles’ or ‘micro-food.’
She at one point agreed to let the Australian show 60 Minutes closely monitor her as she demonstrated her beliefs.  I’ll let Wikipedia sum up the results.  “[T]he supervising medical professional Dr Beres Wenck found that after just 48 hours, Jasmuheen displayed the physical symptoms of acute dehydration, stress and high blood pressure.[2]  Jasmuheen claimed that this was a result of ‘polluted air’. On day 3, Jasmuheen was moved to a mountainside retreat about 15 miles from the city, where she was filmed enjoying the fresh air she said she could now live on happily. However, as the filming progressed, her speech slowed, her pupils dilated and she lost over a stone (6 kg) in weight. After 4 days Jasmuheen acknowledged that she had lost weight, but stated that she felt fine. Dr. Wenck stated “You are now quite dehydrated, probably over 10%, getting up to 11%.” The doctor also announced, “Her pulse is about double what it was when she started. The risks if she goes any further are kidney failure.”[2]  Jasmuheen’s condition continued to deteriorate rapidly in the clearly demonstrated context of acute dehydration, despite her insistence to the contrary. Dr. Wenck concluded that continuing the experiment would ultimately prove fatal. The film crew concurred with this assessment and ceased filming.”
Here’s a link to her fine, fine site.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 27 April 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 27 April 2010 09:12 AM

—She has stated that her DNA has expanded from 2 to 12 strands to absorb more hydrogen.

Now that’s special isn’t it.

As someone who has spent his adult life convinced that a minimalist attitude toward food intake makes for a healthy body,
and who feels his past four decades supports such a hypothesis -
I find such “inedia” lunacy, well just crazy.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 28 April 2010 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I know.  It’s just so hilariously stupid.  It’s like Scientology.  No matter what someone’s beliefs, 9 times out of 10 they’ll join in on mocking it.  It’s a great subject to bring up when a conversation goes south or a debate gets too heated.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2010 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Yes, there is somebody in India claiming not to have eaten anything for 70years! It military is ‘testing’ him to ‘see how he does it’, the tests have enough holes in them to drive an armored tank through! My bets are that he ‘passes’, then the military will not be able to figure out how he ‘does it’! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 April 2010 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I think I’ve heard of that guy.  The whole basis of inedia comes from India to begin with.  For centuries, gurus there have claimed to be able to survive without food or even water.  The Catholic Church belives that some of their saints were able to do it as well.

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2010 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Certainly would cut down on the grocery bills!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 30 April 2010 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I’ve heard of the woman mentioned in the first post. If I recall correctly, a member of the media caught her chowing down on food in secret. When confronted, she claimed it was only for pleasure; she doesn’t really need to eat and doesn’t absorb the calories. She just likes the taste.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 01 May 2010 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Sounds about right.

There’s another big proponent of this quackery named Wiley Brooks.  He founded the Breatharian Institute of America.  (I’m so going to go do the workshop.  I want to see the 5th dimension dammit.)  This guy may actually be crazier than Jasmuheen.  No, seriously.  He’s like up to Gary Busey on the Crazy Scale.  (Jasmuheen is at least at Nick Nolte level).  That site is amazing.  I love the part about cows being 5th dimensional beings.  Do cows know something about String Theory we don’t?  Those mooing bastards.  How dare they hold out on us?  And the magic 5th dimensional words, classic.  I wonder how much acid this guy fried his brain with to come up with this stuff.

Unfortunately, he has stopped ‘teaching’ in recent years so he can, and I quote, “devote 100% of his time on solving the problem as to why he needed to eat some type of food to keep his physical body alive and allow his light body to manifest completely.”  I want to know that too.  Why do our bodies need food?  Clearly, our stupid meat bodies are just ignorant and don’t know they are plants and can survive on sunlight.  Or we have ‘light bodies’ or something.  I don’t know.  I don’t speak Crazy.

Christ, I could spend days ridiculing these people.

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2010 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

+1 for using the Gary Busey/Nick Nolte crazy rating scale LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 11 May 2010 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
asanta - 29 April 2010 10:10 PM

Yes, there is somebody in India claiming not to have eaten anything for 70years! It military is ‘testing’ him to ‘see how he does it’, the tests have enough holes in them to drive an armored tank through!

Can you go over some of those holes please? I just came across this study and it sounds like they’re attempting to video record every single second of the test.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 11 May 2010 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

There is another thread about the study with more info, I will have to find it.

They let the guy outside alone with the camera attached to him somehow (easy to cheat that way) also no one is to say whether he drinks water on the sly while showering, bathing, or brushing his teeth. Dehydration is usually what calls out these people as cheats. If a magician finds a way around it, to drink water, he can last through the tests for quite some time. They say he’s not urinating, but who’s to say he doesn’t let it dribble down his leg while he’s out for his daily unsupervised walk? The sun would dry it by the time he walks back. He could also pee in the shower or bath, without them knowing. Heck he could aim into the sink while brushing his teeth if no one is paying enough attention.

Yogis are notorious as skilled magicians, especially around tourist areas. They have many tricks.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2010 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2010-04-18
Dead Monky - 01 May 2010 09:45 AM

There’s another big proponent of this quackery named Wiley Brooks.  He founded the Breatharian Institute of America.

Wow. I mean, just wow.  gulp

I like the diet coke and beef diet though.

Signature 

minigiggles

Posted: 11 May 2010 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Wow. I mean, just wow.

Told you.  Gary Busey level crazy.

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2010 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Some of the results from the last tests they did on this guy clearly show he’s going to the bathroom and also showing signs of dehydration and starvation via bloodwork. The doctor doing the exam interprets the signs in a wildly different manner, and declares them somewhat of a miracle.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/05/physiology_explains_it_all.php

Some (if not all ?) blood parameter of the november 2003 examination are shown on the webpages of Sudhir Shah. The values presented show an increase in serum urea, and a drop three days after the examination. The same is true for serum sodium, serum chloride and serum potassium. The hematocrit is also increasing. This is a clear sign of dehydratation and hemoconcentration, compatible with a period of starvation and thirst. Blood sugar is decreasing, and serum acetone is increasing. This is also a sign of starvation. At the beginning and three days after the test, values are normal.

But, instead discussing such a starvation period (and not a long lasting esoteric inedia) as a very plausible source for the blood values shown, these are explained by neurologist Sudhir Shah to be amazing and to show a sort of medicine wonder. But in fact they show a normal behaviour of a subject, compatible with actual knowledge in physiology and bioenergetics. Examinator Shahs words sound different: “We have reached a hypothesis which confirms that Jani’s body has certainly undergone a biological transformation due to yogic kriyas. And he can control his inner organs’ functions, which itself is intriguing.”

He’s in denial. He really wants to believe it’s a yogic miracle.

Now I recall reading about this guy before (must have been in 2003 when the first round of tests happened.) I clearly recall them saying that a sonogram showed his bladder full, and then another sonogram later showed his bladder empty - so instead of determining “The guy peed” they determined “his body mysteriously absorbed the urine!” I mean, how stupid do you have to be? Obviously the guy found a way to sneak a pee break.

Signature 

Posted: 13 May 2010 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Problem is that until you have someone trained in deception there to keep an eye on things, someone like Randi, the whole thing is just a foolish exercise of whack-a-mole. Anyone learns quickly enough where the weak points are.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 May 2010 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

Speaking of Randi,

http://www.randi.org/site/index.php/swift-blog/986-james-randi-speaks-powered-by-sunlight-.html

Right on topic! Great video! LOL

Signature