Lois Schadewald - The Schadewald Legacy: Nemesis of Pseudo-Science
Posted: 30 April 2010 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Lois Schadewald’s interest in both science and pseudoscience rubbed off on her from her brilliant brother Robert J. Schadewald, a prolific author and debater. When Bob died a decade ago he left behind a legacy of published essays and book chapters, as well as much unpublished material including a complete manuscript on the history of the Flat Earth movement. Lois has seen to the publication of many of these pieces in the collection Worlds of their Own: A Brief History of Misguided Ideas; Creationism, Flat-Earthism, Energy Scams, and the Velikovsky Affair. In this episode of Point of Inquiry, Robert M. Price asks Lois to outline some of her brother’s research in Flat Earth and Hollow Earth “science” as well as to relate some stories of his association with important “alternative science” figures like catastrophist Immanuel Velikovsky. Schadewald talks some about her brother’s unique approach to dealing with promoters of pseudoscience, and what he gained from it. She discusses the timeline of Bob’s research interests and how he eventually made his way to studying creationism.

Lois Schadewald is Professor of Chemistry at Normandale Community College in Minnesota, where she is also active with the Minnesota Atheists.

Robert J. Schadewald (1943-2000) was a widely published science writer. His articles dealing with unorthodoxies of science and scholarship appeared in Science 80, Smithsonian, Technology Illustrated, and Skeptical Inquirer among others. He was a contributing author to six books, including The History of Science and Religion in the Western Tradition: An Encyclopedia (Garland Publishing, 2000). From 1986 until the mid-1990s, he served on the board of directors of the National Center for Science Education, including two years as president. He attended seven national creationism conferences, interviewed Immanuel Velikovsky, investigated perpetual motion machines, and was thrown out of the Flat Earth Society for having spherical tendencies. Bob was nationally recognized as an expert on creationism, perpetual motion, and flat Earthism.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/lois_schadewald_the_schadewald_legacy_nemesis_of_pseudo_science/

Posted: 30 April 2010 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

That was an excellent interview. 

I wasn’t familiar with Lois, or Bob Schadewald so it was a great introduction into the man and his approach to dealing with…
well, Schadewald put it best: “a world of misguided affairs.”  He sounds like a very insightful, yet humane individual.

Lois makes an excellent impression also and comes through as an indispensable element of the Schadewald Legacy. 
Worlds of their Own: A Brief History of Misguided Ideas; Creationism, Flat-Earthism, Energy Scams, and the Velikovsky Affair has just jumped to the top of my wanna read, will read book list. 

I especially look forward to the Velikosvsky chapter as, I good friend of mine spent countless hours, during the mid-70’s, trying to explain and convince me of Velikosvsky theory for the origin of oil.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Thank you,
I believe earlier laments about POI’s dark future are being laid to rest by the recent string of programs.
Keep up the good work.  wink

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 30 April 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Oh yea, I loved the idea of switching Flat Earth wording in Creationist conceived legislation.

Maybe Texans can come up with a push to demand their school text books
must give equal time to the considered arguments of Flat Earthers. cool smirk

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 04 May 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-04

Interesting interview.  I was also not aware of Robert Schadewalk.

Robert, if you;re ever in SW FL (where I am) come by Estero, just south of Fort Myers to Koreshan Park.  It’s where the Koreshan (the ones that thought we lived inside the earth) settlemnt was.  There are quiete a few buildings left.  It’s very intereisntg a historical site.

Posted: 04 May 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Matt H - 04 May 2010 11:40 AM

Robert, if you;re ever in SW FL (where I am) come by Estero, just south of Fort Myers to Koreshan Park.

Matt, Robert Schadewalk died about 10 years ago from cancer. His younger sister Lois idolized him, she inherited his body of work and has been keeping his name alive. You should hear some of the stories about Robert and the head of the ‘flat earth’ society. Robert actually went out of his way to make friends with him. I believe (but my memory may not be correct) that he actually went to Robert’s funeral. Robert seems to have had a great sense of humor and wonderful sense of irony. His work deserves to be much better known.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 May 2010 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-05-04

I was actually saying that Bob Price should come by the Koreshan Park if he’s ever in SW FL.  Sorry.  I wasn’t clear with my previous post.

Posted: 04 May 2010 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Matt H - 04 May 2010 05:27 PM

I was actually saying that Bob Price should come by the Koreshan Park if he’s ever in SW FL.  Sorry.  I wasn’t clear with my previous post.

LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 May 2010 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-04-07

And Dr. Robert Price bounces back…I hope you all were happier with this episode then you were with his last.

That said…I would probably pay money to listen to a debate between a flat-earther and a hollow-earther. That would be a fun evening.

Posted: 06 May 2010 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
TheFolklorist - 06 May 2010 12:13 PM

That said…I would probably pay money to listen to a debate between a flat-earther and a hollow-earther. That would be a fun evening.

I think you could fill a stadium!

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-05-08

Actually, I found Price’s manner far too interventionist in this interview. He HAS to get more relaxed with letting the guests answer his questions in their own way, and in their own time. Begone oh foul demon of the Fox sound-bite.