Hello from Wisconsin
Posted: 14 July 2006 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

Hi everyone,

I’m a commercial artist (e.g. in an attempt to direct attention and influence behavior, I manufacture illusions that exploit subconscious mechanisms of human perception and cognition )

I was raised a Catholic, but born an insatiably inquiring skeptic. And being an artist is the most fun way I know of inquiring about the world. It’s also good because while I find that I’m pretty good at asking questions, I’m not so good at answering them . . . and that (IMHO) is the essence of good art: the presentation of an interesting question.

I have designed a bit of performance art that I would like you to perform. Here it is:

Take a look at a large printed word, such as a title on a book, and hold the word so that you can read it clearly in it’s normal upright position. Without blurring your vision, try to look at the word without reading it. See just the shapes of the letters without the meaning, or the phonic, just the shapes completely devoid of symbols.

That’s it. If you feel that you are actually able to look at a word you can read without reading it, please send me a message to let me know what the experience was like for you.

Posted: 14 July 2006 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2006-07-14

Hello from Wisconsin

Hi everyone,

I’m a commercial artist (e.g. in an attempt to direct attention and influence behavior, I manufacture illusions that exploit subconscious mechanisms of human perception and cognition )

I was raised a Catholic, but born an insatiably inquiring skeptic. And being an artist is the most fun way I know of inquiring about the world. It’s also good because while I find that I’m pretty good at asking questions, I’m not so good at answering them . . . and that (IMHO) is the essence of good art: the presentation of an interesting question.

I have designed a bit of performance art that I would like you to perform. Here it is:

Take a look at a large printed word, such as a title on a book, and hold the word so that you can read it clearly in it’s normal upright position. Without blurring your vision, try to look at the word without reading it. See just the shapes of the letters without the meaning, or the phonic, just the shapes completely devoid of symbols.

That’s it. If you feel that you are actually able to look at a word you can read without reading it, please send me a message to let me know what the experience was like for you.

Posted: 15 July 2006 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-07-14

Madison

I’ve only recently (just 7 months ago) moved to Madison from Ann Arbor (where I went to college). I miss Ann Arbor, but I am liking Madison a lot too.

Posted: 15 July 2006 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

Welcome Riley,
We met in the other category but nevertheless welcome.  If you have problems of any kind with any one Doug and I are the persons to tell. And if you have any suggestions send either one of us a PM and we’ll pass them on to the powers that be.
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 15 July 2006 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

I have family in Ann Arbor. It’s a wonderful place, but you’ll have no problem with Madison. It’s delightful. Don’t forget to visit Taliesin and the House on the Rock!

And have a brat and a cold one on me.

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 15 July 2006 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-07-14

thanks. Will do!