Thomas Kida - July 15
Posted: 15 July 2006 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

Wouldn’t it be nice if established "logical fallacies" were taught as part of a required school subject in critical thinking and applied throughout the curriculum of all academic subjects?

Wouldn’t it be nice if every televised political debate and every speach on the floor of the House were followed up by an analysis of "logical fallacies"?

I wonder how much diffferent and better our world could be if just this one change were implemented.

Maybe I’m being credulous, but my head spins just thinking about the brightness of such a world.

I very much enjoyed this interview with Thomas Kida.

Posted: 15 July 2006 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  187
Joined  2006-07-14

Thomas Kida - July 15

Wouldn’t it be nice if established “logical fallacies” were taught as part of a required school subject in critical thinking and applied throughout the curriculum of all academic subjects?

Wouldn’t it be nice if every televised political debate and every speach on the floor of the House were followed up by an analysis of “logical fallacies”?

I wonder how much diffferent and better our world could be if just this one change were implemented.

Maybe I’m being credulous, but my head spins just thinking about the brightness of such a world.

I very much enjoyed this interview with Thomas Kida.

Posted: 21 July 2006 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2002-09-06

I think his book should be read by every high school graduate.

Signature 

"Few have the courage of their convictions.  Fewer still, for an attack on their convictions."—Nietzsche

Posted: 21 July 2006 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

GED ok?  :D

Posted: 23 July 2006 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Yeah I didn’t figure DJ was dissing anyone. It may be silly but I feel like I can trust his integrity, just from hearing him on the pod-casts. 

Oxford say you are right technically, I think it may be considered something other than graduation in common usage. It was often frowned upon in the days when those sorts of things were scrutinised in my CV, and certainly in practice was seen as a lower level of achievement than high-school graduate. I never bought into the rhetoric though because I was a horrible and disruptive student; bad for everyone really. And I had very high GED test scores (3.8 gpa) at age 16, so for me it was the best path, though now that I am in my prime 8)  I often muse at how much I would have loved to be a Physicist or a Philosophy (king of course) teacher.

Hmmm maybe when I make my next million rolleyes I’ll go back to school and get a teaching degree.