1 of 2
President Aksed To Investigate Russian Govenor That Claims To Have Been Abducted By Aliens
Posted: 05 May 2010 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

For fear that he let slip state secrets or was influenced by them.  I shit you not.  Somebody has been imbibing a bit too much wodka.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 09 May 2010 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-05-09

Well, I will say this….I don’t see how believing aliens abducted you is any worse than believing in an invisable sky daddy (god).  Infact, believing in a god would be worse (relative to preforming your duties as a governor).  I doubt this guy will pray to aliens for help making political decisions….

Also, there is a lot of money going into trying to contact alien life…programs such as SETI.  I don’t think there are any organizations setting up satalite arrays to contact god…that would be a lost cause.  To me, someone who claims to have had contact with aliens is more credible than someone who claims to be in contact with God.

Posted: 09 May 2010 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

The aliens have the technology(and fortitude) to say goodbye to their loved ones whom they will never see alive again, and all life as they know it, travel thousands of light years to our planet, approach and land undetected by our satellites and unseen, THEN they spend all of their time making crop circles, contacting insignificant humans with little power or knowledge, perform perverse sexual experiments on them, and then fly the information back to a home which has become a stranger to them. or perhaps the aliens who arrive are descendants of those who left the home planet, and those who make it home are descendants of those performing the tests. Even worse are the ones who are competent to fly and survive travel thousands of light years to earth—and then crash.
The scenarios given by alien true believers are so outlandish as to be laughable!

[ Edited: 10 May 2010 01:08 AM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 May 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

Well.. I’m trying to think of something witty.

But really, its just nuts.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 10 May 2010 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Mike from Oz - 09 May 2010 11:06 PM

Well.. I’m trying to think of something witty.

But really, its just nuts.

Yup!! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 May 2010 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4805
Joined  2007-10-05

I always heard wodka will make you crazy. I never touch the stuff. Give me bourbon. I’ve never seen an alien spacecraft while under the influence of bourbon, therefore aliens prefer sissy drinks, or maybe they use the vodka for fuel.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 May 2010 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Nice comparison and contrast, JonnyDarwin.  I had never connected the myths of aliens with that of a god.

Occam

Posted: 10 May 2010 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I had never connected the myths of aliens with that of a god.

Erich von Daniken did.  And we all know how that went.

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-09

I know I may be going out on a limb here in a group of skeptics! (and for the record I do consider myself a skeptic)...but…Has everyone ruled out the existance of any alien species anywhere in the universe, or just having visited earth?  I think it would be more probable that there is another form of life (intelligent life) somewhere in the universe, than us being the only form of intellegent life in all of existance.  Infact, if it had been confirmed that we were infact alone in the universe, I would imagine that would be a pretty good reason to doubt evolution (which I strongly believe in (GO DARWIN)).  I mean, as unlikely as it is for life to start by chance, it would have to happen somewhere else in the billion billion plus solar systems out there.??? wouldn’t it?  I would almost go as far as to say that if it were confirmed that we were infact alone in the universe, that would be a good reason to start believing in God!!! (I said almost for the record!)

Just throwing it out there.

P.S.  I can’t wait until we do start to communicate with an alien species, so we can start converting them all to Catholics!  We don’t want aliens to end up in hell, do we!!!!

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I don’t think anyone can rule out the existence of intelligent life some where else in this huge universe! I believe that there is something out there somewhere, I’m just not convinced they have visited us here….yet. grin

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

With 100 billion galaxies harboring 100 billion stars each (and that’s just the observable universe) it is highly likely there are other intelligent species out there. Given everything that can destroy a civilization it is highly unlikely there is another advanced civilization in our galaxy. That does not mean there has never been another or never will be another, just that there isn’t another at this time. Even if there are other advanced civilizations in our galaxy it is almost certain we will never make contact. Space is big. Really, really big.

You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space.
Douglas Adams

If we do make contact, well, by the time any message makes a round trip we may not have a civilization to receive the reply given what we are doing to our planet.

We will not become interstellar travelers until we invent the Infinite Improbability Drive. I wouldn’t place any bets on that.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

When you consider the ten to the X number of planets with conditions similar to earth that are very likely to exist, I’d guess that the likelihood of life on a great many of them is high.  And, since the various species develop different survival modes, it would also seem likely that intelligence leading to reasoning would occur moderately frequently.  Even on earth, vertebrates and octopi have developed intelligence independently. 

However, the problem isn’t whether or not such species exist, but the extreme difficulty in finding them.  A) Almost impossible within the known laws of physics that aliens could travel multiple light years and zero on on us.  B)  Extremely doubtful that we would be lucky enough to find radio signals from any intelligent species.  Consider that we’ve been around for a few millenia and only in the last hundred years have we started sending out radio transmissions.  I’m fairly sure that, if we survive, in a few generations we’ll all have the equivalent of electronic telepathy with mentally connected Internet such that we’ll no longer need to be sending out radio transmissions.  If other species follow that paradigm, it means that there’s only a 200 year window for us to spot them. 

Occam

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The radio transmissions we use for communications will not survive interstellar distances in any recognizable form. They are very weak, and they are beamed to satellites in near-Earth orbits. What little energy traverses interstellar distances will be lost in the galaxy’s background noise. The few transmissions we have aimed at nearby stars are unlikely to find a compatible receiver on the other end. Any civilization on the other side of the galaxy will never detect us.

The most likely scenario for contact is an advanced civilization orbiting a nearby star detecting signatures of life in our atmosphere and sending a signal our direction. Even then, how will they know what type of signal we are capable of receiving and decoding?

Signature 

Posted: 10 May 2010 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

What an awesome backup!! grin

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2010 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Let’s just hope they don’t decide to send the von Neumann probes after us.

Signature 

Posted: 11 May 2010 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-09

I just can’t stand the thought of a living being existing out there without access to a Bible!!! 

Or would it be worse to run into an alien species, and their first words to humans are “Can we take a few minutes of your time to talk to you about the importance of God?”.....

1 of 2