3 of 4
Cinnamon and Honey
Posted: 09 November 2010 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

quote W4U. 

Give me a pound of whole wheat flour and some butter, honey and cinnamon and I’ll make you a scrumptious batch of cinnamon rolls.

Yeah, for my birthday a while ago, a lady I know gave me a loaf of her very natural home baked bread.  It was only slightly less tough that a piece of 6"x6"x12” lumber and probably quite a bit heavier.  I’m sure that if I had dropped it on my kitchen floor it would have dented the linoleum.  I managed to break off a piece and try to chew it, but after about three minutes of unsuccessful mastication where it didn’t crumble, formed a large gum ball and was completely tasteless, I spit it out and tossed the rest of the loaf in the trash.  I decided not to put it out for the local birds because I like them too much.  I’ve had as much as I can take of “home-made, natural” stuff.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 November 2010 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Dead Monky - 09 November 2010 10:47 AM

But it’s NATURAL, it MUST be good for you!

Scorpion venom is delicious!

The Fierce Snake (Oxyuranus microlepidotus) from Australia has, drop for drop, the most poisonous venom of any snake in the world.

The first live specimen was not captured until 1975 and not much is known about its habits. The Fierce snake’s venom is extremely toxic and a small animal would die within seconds, its nervous system and heart instantly paralyzed. The Fierce Snake’s venom is more than fifty times as potent as the Indian Cobra’s. The maximum yield recorded for one bite is 110mg(That’s nearly a half of a cup!  big surprise . That would be enough to kill over one hundred people or quarter of a million mice.  snake

I’ll bet it has the most delicious venom of all. I dare you to find someone who disagrees with me!! tongue wink

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 November 2010 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 09 November 2010 07:39 PM

quote W4U. 

Give me a pound of whole wheat flour and some butter, honey and cinnamon and I’ll make you a scrumptious batch of cinnamon rolls.

Yeah, for my birthday a while ago, a lady I know gave me a loaf of her very natural home baked bread.  It was only slightly less tough that a piece of 6"x6"x12” lumber and probably quite a bit heavier.  I’m sure that if I had dropped it on my kitchen floor it would have dented the linoleum.  I managed to break off a piece and try to chew it, but after about three minutes of unsuccessful mastication where it didn’t crumble, formed a large gum ball and was completely tasteless, I spit it out and tossed the rest of the loaf in the trash.  I decided not to put it out for the local birds because I like them too much.  I’ve had as much as I can take of “home-made, natural” stuff.  LOL

Occam

You were lucky to escape with your teeth intact! LOL
Don’t ever accept any fugu sushi from her! Not even a polite taste!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 November 2010 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

What a surprise, the fierce snake (a.k.a. the Inland Taipan) is from Australia.  That place is packed full of more deadly freaking animals than should be allowed.  I’m surprised any Australians make it to adulthood what with everything roaming around that freaking country being able to kill them with so little effort.

EDIT
Fixed mah typos.

[ Edited: 10 November 2010 12:37 PM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 November 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Me too!! They have lost at least one PM that I know of, who did not return after a swim in the ocean!

Signature 

Posted: 24 December 2010 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2010-12-23

cinnamon does have antimicrobial and anti-mycotoxin properties. Ze cook cleans the kitchen counters with it mixed with clove (which also has such properties) but mainly ‘cause I like the scent. Honey has been shown to be efficasious on minor open wounds due to the release of hydrogen peroxide and also seems to be as effective as O.T.C. cough medicines ( which are pretty well useless). I don’t use it, mind. I prefer hydrogen peroxide and a bandage and having a cup of coffee. I’m *such* a failed new-ager.

Signature 

Mihi, quanto plura recentium seu veterum revolvo, tanto magis ludibria rerum mortalium cunctis in negotiis observantur - Tacitus

” I knew that!” - me

Posted: 25 December 2010 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

We don’t use hydrogen peroxide on wounds anymore. It was shown to be toxic to the cell growth and inhibit wound healing.

Signature 

Posted: 25 December 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 25 December 2010 10:48 AM

We don’t use hydrogen peroxide on wounds anymore. It was shown to be toxic to the cell growth and inhibit wound healing.

It’s weird—I’ve heard the same thing and yet when I had a minor operation last year I was advised to use hydrogen peroxide regularly for several days. (This was at a very highly regarded university clinic). I imagine it’s a cost/benefit thing and they’d prefer to kill potential bugs.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 December 2010 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Diluted H2O2 1:2 with water and adding a bit of NaHCO3 (baking soda) make a great mouth wash after flossing and brushing. smile

I’ve heard that honey tends to be bacteriostatic, but I have no reference to that so I’d be leary of it.  However, it’s just a highly concentrated solution of fructose so it can’t generate hydrogen peroxide by any mechanism I can imagine.

Asanta, other than initial cleaning, what does your institution use to block infections from occuring in fresh surgery or stitched wounds?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 25 December 2010 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 25 December 2010 07:49 PM

Asanta, other than initial cleaning, what does your institution use to block infections from occuring in fresh surgery or stitched wounds?

Occam

We used to use Betadine Solution, which contains 10% povidone-iodine as a cleanser. Now we use ChloraPrep, which is a 2% Chlorhexidine Gluconate 70% Isopropyl Alcohol preparation.

Signature 

Posted: 25 December 2010 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 25 December 2010 11:10 AM
asanta - 25 December 2010 10:48 AM

It’s weird—I’ve heard the same thing and yet when I had a minor operation last year I was advised to use hydrogen peroxide regularly for several days. (This was at a very highly regarded university clinic). I imagine it’s a cost/benefit thing and they’d prefer to kill potential bugs.

My institution stopped using in quite a few years ago, I don’t think it is kept on our stock shelf anymore. I suppose it is an institutional choice. Here is what I found about H2O2:
3% H2O2 is used medically for cleaning wounds, removing dead tissue, and as an oral debriding agent. Peroxide stops slow (small vessel) wound bleeding/oozing, as well. However, recent studies have suggested that hydrogen peroxide impedes scarless healing as it destroys newly formed skin cells. If your surgeon instructed you to use it, I would trust that he knew what he was talking about. In my particular setting, it is no longer used.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2010 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Surgeon was actually a “she” ...  cheese

If I have another similar operation I’ll be sure to ask her.  But I hope it ends up a moot question. I’m not a great fan of operations generally.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 December 2010 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 26 December 2010 06:17 AM

Surgeon was actually a “she” ...  cheese

If I have another similar operation I’ll be sure to ask her.  But I hope it ends up a moot question. I’m not a great fan of operations generally.

LOL, thanks for the hand slap!  red face
I’m not a fan of surgeries either…in general…unless they improve quality of life!

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2010-12-25

here a good link on the health benefits of Cinnamon

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

and here is for cinnamon tea

http://www.brighthub.com/health/alternative-medicine/articles/18693.aspx

as someone who drinks cinnamon tea almost everyday , i say if you haven’t tried it then you are missing a lot but my own recipe is different , i use it with regular tea

Posted: 26 December 2010 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Phi- - 26 December 2010 02:46 PM

here a good link on the health benefits of Cinnamon

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

and here is for cinnamon tea

http://www.brighthub.com/health/alternative-medicine/articles/18693.aspx

as someone who drinks cinnamon tea almost everyday , i say if you haven’t tried it then you are missing a lot but my own recipe is different , i use it with regular tea

You missed a previous thread. All of those ‘claims’ are just that…and have been debunked. The claim to lower blood sugar is just plain dangerous, since chronically high blood glucose can cause harm to the eyes, heart, kidneys, cause peripheral neuropathies leading to amputations and so on.

Signature 

3 of 4