Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Check out the article in the NYTimes today, HERE:

Therapies to Soothe All Four Legs

By SARAH MASLIN NIR
Published: May 9, 2010
Horse whispering? Too loud. Some top-level racehorse owners and trainers, seeking to heal injuries or keep their animals in top condition, use equine telepaths as psychic diagnosticians.

It is just one of the alternative therapies with which racehorses are plied to keep them happy, healthy and, hopefully, fast. The popularity of alternative medicine among humans and the sophistication of sports medicine are reflected in the barn, according to trainers, veterinarians, riders and breeders. Stricter rules about which drugs are permissible for horses, and advances in drug-testing methods may also have increased the use of alternative treatments.

<snip>

“I speak with them telepathically,” said Wittels, who predominately practices over the phone. “I can do that from anywhere in the world, it doesn’t matter where I am.” She added, “Usually by the time they get to me, their skepticism is tempered by their need.” ...

Oy.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 May 2010 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

Where do I sign up and how much can I charge? Sounds like a perfect scam to me. Sit around in my underwear, wait for the phone to ring, ask a few leading questions, confirm what the anxious owner wants to hear and charge the credit card. I know more about dogs, though. Maybe I can set myself up as a dog telepath. Why bother with all this book learnin’ I’m going through when I can take advantage of gullible people?

Just goes to show that money is no indicator of thinking skills.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

In the equestrian portion of the olympics, the horses are the only athletes not permitted to ingest so much as over the counter pain meds. A human can take ibuprofin for muscle and joint pain and swelling, horses cannot even take the equine equivalent. Therefore, trainers employ all manners of woo to treat the horses. Same thing with race horses, as drug testing is also involved.

Usually this is limited to herbal hot compresses, massage equipment, epsom salt soaks, water (swimming) therapy, etc. The “psychics” are a new fad. Racehorses often have investors who are willing to pay for this sort of thing to get an edge. They invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in their horse and its training and upkeep. Paying a psychic is a drop in the bucket for them.

I agree, what an ideal job! I would love to do it. What could be better than petting ponies all day?  cheese

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 10 May 2010 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4080
Joined  2006-11-28

Oh please, don’t get me started!  Aaarrrggg!

Usually by the time they get to me, their skepticism is tempered by their need.

This is one of the most telling quotes from a promoter of quackery. Basically, desperation shuts off people’s brains and provides an opportuity for charlatans. Science doesn’t have all the answers and is constrained by that damnable requirement not to make stuff up, so the “woo of the gaps” phenomenon has plenty of opportunity to thrive.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 10 May 2010 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Yep, preying on the sick and desperate. Beautiful.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 May 2010 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Come on, DarronS.  Dogs are too easy to read.  You should become a kitty clairvoyant.  No matter what you said, I’m sure many cat owners would be willing to believe their feline actually thought that.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

The only thing I’m willing to believe my cat is thinking is, “Fuck you.  Go away or bring me food.”

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 May 2010 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

DM, you forgot “Clean the litter box you lazy twit!”

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 May 2010 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Nah.  He just craps on the floor until I do.  He’s kind of passive-aggressive that way.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 May 2010 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

It’s bad enough to prey on the undereducated and gullible people, but to prey on their animals too, downer  is just heartless.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 May 2010 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-18
asanta - 10 May 2010 02:18 PM

It’s bad enough to prey on the undereducated and gullible people, but to prey on their animals too, downer  is just heartless.

Are other frauds simply heartless? No, if discovered practicing their fraud, they are criminals.

Among such frauds are all sorts of neo-shamans of every stripe preying for profit on the contentedly ignorant.