Episode 28 - Altruism Without Faith: Can We? Should We? Part 2
Posted: 11 May 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Part two of a two-part lecture on bioethics by Brahm Segal, associate professor of medicine at the University of Buffalo Medical School and chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York. On November 21, 2008, Dr. Segal presented a lecture entitled “Altruism without Faith: Can We? Should We?” at the Center for Inquiry / Transnational in Amherst, New York.

Many consider altruism—doing good for others without reward—to be evidence that God has imparted to us a spirit of empathy that leads to kindness. If this is the case, is God the reason why we have both the means and the moral imperative to be altruistic? Dr. Segal explores the alternative explanation that Darwinian natural selection can account for our inclination to be altruistic.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/centerstage/episodes/episode_28_altruism_without_faith_can_we_should_we_part_2

Posted: 14 May 2010 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-05-09

Am I the only one who felt like this presenter was presenting outside of his discipline and was not really prepared intellectually or philosophically to deal with the Q&A that he precipitated? His Q&A was beginning to sound like the replies of a bad therapist “Hmmmm, well why don’t you tell me what YOOUUU think about that?”

Signature 

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be a fool than to post a reply and remove all doubt. I guess it’s too late for that though.