3 of 4
Poll
Do you know what the 'meaning of life" is?
Yes 9
No 1
I’m not sure... kind of... 0
I don’t know and i don’t care... 1
Total Votes: 11
You must be a logged-in member to vote
What is the meaning of life? How can we find happiness?
Posted: 18 May 2010 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Just the opposite for my life.  For me, it has tremendous impact.

If you look at the course link for the AHA document, I think it shows we are approaching it from two different personalities.  I’m mostly an ‘idealist’ and maybe you are mostly a ‘rationalist.’  Rationalists are the ones who tend to focus on the journey, while idealists focus more on the end-goal and big-picture.  And yes, a personality has many mixtures of these elements (no pure rationalists, for example).

I’ve always considered myself a realist, but it’s all just semantics.

Again, I practice the material in the course, and I can say it dramatically impacts my life.  It changes a lot (for me)!

In all likelihood it wouldn’t do anything for me.  I’m much too cynical and prone to over-analyzing everything.  I’ve tried positive thinking and the like in the past and all it did was deepen my depression in the end.  Crappy movies, violent ass video games, and my girlfriend are what help me when my mood takes a dive.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 18 May 2010 12:05 PM

In all likelihood it wouldn’t do anything for me.  I’m much too cynical and prone to over-analyzing everything.  I’ve tried positive thinking and the like in the past and all it did was deepen my depression in the end.  Crappy movies, violent ass video games, and my girlfriend are what help me when my mood takes a dive.

I am highlighting a part of Dead Monky’s post to make sure nobody here misses this.

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-02-04
Occam - 18 May 2010 11:56 AM

As is often the case, I won’t be voting because the choices are incomplete.  I believe there is no external meaning to life, but rather that we all build the meanings of our own lives by our actions. 

Occam

Occam, you got it correct, so you should vote ‘yes.’  The question didn’t imply ‘external’ or ‘internal.’

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-04

“In all likelihood it wouldn’t do anything for me.  I’m much too cynical and prone to over-analyzing everything.  I’ve tried positive thinking and the like in the past and all it did was deepen my depression in the end.  Crappy movies, violent ass video games, and my girlfriend are what help me when my mood takes a dive.”

Studying the topics of ‘meaning’ and ‘happiness’ are soooo much deeper than just simply ‘positive thinking.’  It is a very rich area of philosophy with lots of subtopics and scientific research (studies on groups of people).  Yes- I agree, simple ‘positive thinking’ sounds like a worthless mind game.

And I would think that playing “violent ass video games” would certainly undermine any goal of achieving happiness.  I would say that’s going in the opposite direction.

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  4076
Joined  2006-11-28

Again, I practice the material in the course, and I can say it dramatically impacts my life.  It changes a lot (for me)!

I’m highlighting a part of Bernie’s post to make sure George doesn’t miss this. We can collect anecdotes ‘til the cows come home, but we haven’t proven anyhing thereby.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I am highlighting a part of Dead Monky’s post to make sure nobody here misses this.

Sure, why not?  My emotional problems are great evidence to back up your point.  Right?

wink

Signature 

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Bernie_Dehler - 18 May 2010 12:19 PM

And I would think that playing “violent ass video games” would certainly undermine any goal of achieving happiness.  I would say that’s going in the opposite direction.

Almost sounds as if you were judging “violent ass video games” by the external meaning of life.  wink

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mckenzievmd - 18 May 2010 12:20 PM

I’m highlighting a part of Bernie’s post to make sure George doesn’t miss this. We can collect anecdotes ‘til the cows come home, but we haven’t proven anyhing thereby.

Okay, now you got me. Touché.

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-04

More on the science of happiness… saw this just now:

“Happiness Comes With Age, Study Reveals”
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100517/sc_livescience/happinesscomeswithagestudyreveals

This, just to highlight that I think the topic of ‘happiness’ is more important and studied than most people realize.

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  1892
Joined  2007-10-28

I posed this profound philosophical question on the meaning of life to the IChing…The book of Changes, more than 10 years ago. The answer was…...“be more receptive”.

From the wiki on Meaning of life

The Taoists’ cosmogony emphasizes the need for all sentient beings and all man to return to the primordial or to rejoin with the Oneness of the Universe by way of self cultivation and self realization. All adherents should understand and be in tune with the ultimate truth.

They believe all things were originally from Taiji and Tao, and the meaning in life for the adherents is to realise the temporal nature of the existence. “Only introspection can then help us to find our innermost reasons for living…the simple answer is here within ourselves.”

42, or whatever? So, “don’t worry, be happy”.

LOL

[ Edited: 18 May 2010 12:28 PM by kkwan ]
 Signature 

I am, therefore I think.

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 18 May 2010 12:20 PM

Sure, why not?  My emotional problems are great evidence to back up your point.  Right?

wink

No. As unbelievable as it may sound to some of you, I do care for the suffering of others. This is one of the reasons why I wish we could pursue the truth (the scientific truth, our only hope) instead of our wishful and politically correct thinking.

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-04
George - 18 May 2010 12:22 PM
Bernie_Dehler - 18 May 2010 12:19 PM

Almost sounds as if you were judging “violent ass video games” by the external meaning of life.  wink

I’m thinking I’m judging by using reason.  I think that practicing violence (by way of simulation in a video game), esp. violence to humans, desensitizes us and makes us worse humans.  Also, if someone struggles with an issue, such as depression, they should study what they do and try something different.  One can’t wish their life would change yet do the same things.

Instead of playing a violent video game, how about going out and volunteering in some humanitarian effort?  See how that affects your thinking.

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Studying the topics of ‘meaning’ and ‘happiness’ are soooo much deeper than just simply ‘positive thinking.’  It is a very rich area of philosophy with lots of subtopics and scientific research (studies on groups of people).

You may well be right.  But I have a problem reading or watching things on happiness.  It all feels so forced and fake to me.  And nauseatingly sappy.  Dear Grodd, the sappiness.  wink

Yes- I agree, simple ‘positive thinking’ sounds like a worthless mind game.

Indeed.  It’s just frustrating and depressing.  You end up thinking, “Why can’t I think like this.”  Which leaves you deeper in the Hole of Self-Pity and Worthlessness.

Quite the opposite.  They’re rather cathartic.  If I’ve been having a crappy, miserable day I just throw in Fallout 3 and proceed to obliterate raiders with mini-nukes until I feel better.  Or I could tear the wings off harpies and the heads off gorgons with God of War 3.  Or any number of other options.  My gf and I frequently use fighting games like Soulcalibur IV as a substitute for beating on each other when angry at one another.  As I said, very cathartic.  RPGs are good too.  Like when my girlfriend had been having a bad day and later, while we were playing Earthdawn, she had her character beat in a minstrel’s head with his own lute.  It really makes you feel better.  And is much better than attacking real people.

Signature 

Posted: 18 May 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Bernie_Dehler - 18 May 2010 12:30 PM

I think that practicing violence (by way of simulation in a video game), esp. violence to humans, desensitizes us and makes us worse humans.

Well, you think wrong. They did some study on it and they didn’t find any evidence for this. Google it if you must.

Posted: 18 May 2010 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-04
George - 18 May 2010 12:34 PM
Bernie_Dehler - 18 May 2010 12:30 PM

I think that practicing violence (by way of simulation in a video game), esp. violence to humans, desensitizes us and makes us worse humans.

Well, you think wrong. They did some study on it and they didn’t find any evidence for this. Google it if you must.

Google says I’m right.

Holy hell, it is worse than I thought:

http://www.apa.org/science/about/psa/2003/10/anderson.aspx

3 of 4