2 of 2
CFI Board accepts Paul Kurtz’s resignation
Posted: 19 May 2010 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 19 May 2010 12:51 PM

Ah, humans.  No matter how rational we pretend to be, we’re still freaking insane.

Yeah, I bet the whole CFI incident would not really appear that different to a Martian anthropologist from what goes on in some monkey tribe.

“Homo” yes, but “sapiens”...?  grin

Posted: 19 May 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
George - 19 May 2010 01:31 PM

Ah, humans.  No matter how rational we pretend to be, we’re still freaking insane.

Yeah, I bet the whole CFI incident would not really appear that different to a Martian anthropologist from what goes on in some monkey tribe.

Well, I say one difference would be the figurative vs. literal throwing of feces. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 19 May 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree, George.  I’ve always felt our species name indicated a great deal of hubris.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 20 May 2010 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1764
Joined  2007-10-22

Nor what happens in many organizations, religious, non-religious and particularly famuly founded business organizations, when the founders see them as a personal accomplishment rather than as a public organization with intentions of ongoing influence and activity.

Edited to help move the quote block.

[ Edited: 20 May 2010 11:04 AM by Occam ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 20 May 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2009-07-30

Have you guys seen this: http://cfistaff.wordpress.com/

LETTER OF GRATITUDE TO DR. PAUL KURTZ AND SUPPORT FOR CURRENT CFI BOARD OF DIRECTORS AND MANAGEMENT

This letter was drafted and signed by Center for Inquiry (CFI) staff and local advisory board members completely independent of CFI management and Board of Directors.

We, the undersigned CFI staff and local advisory board members, wish to express our profound gratitude to Paul Kurtz for his many decades of service to the causes of secular humanism and skepticism. Through his tireless efforts, Dr. Kurtz has been an inspiration for the entire secular and skeptic community. We thank Dr. Kurtz for founding and leading the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry, the Council for Secular Humanism, and the Center for Inquiry, all organizations that we look forward to continuing to serve. Without a doubt, Dr. Kurtz will forever be known as the Father of Secular Humanism.

We would also like to take this opportunity to voice our support for the CFI Board of Directors and management. In the past two years, under the sound guidance of CEO Ronald Lindsay, they have successfully demonstrated both the desire and the ability to advance Paul Kurtz’s vision well into the twenty-first century. More than ever, we are confident that CFI will continue to prosper and grow while maintaining its founder’s dedication to fostering a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values.

Posted: 20 May 2010 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

Interesting.  I’m not sure what to make of that.  On the surface it sounds good.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 21 May 2010 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
SimonSays - 20 May 2010 06:50 PM

Have you guys seen this: http://cfistaff.wordpress.com/

Thanks…

Gives some indirect insight into the issues.

Friendly atheist blog…
http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/05/19/paul-kurtz-resigns-from-center-for-inquiry/

[ Edited: 21 May 2010 03:02 AM by Jackson ]

Posted: 21 May 2010 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2007-06-08

I found the following to be the most accurate take on the matter:

http://rjosephhoffmann.wordpress.com/2010/05/18/over-at-the-centre-for-inquiry/

Let me be the first to call for Mr Lindsay’s resignation.

In little more than two years, he has driven the organization deeply into debt, reduced both the prestige and intellectual capital of a once-serious contender to be the best humanist and secularist organization in the world, tried to use the CFI “pulpit” for his own narrow range of interests, basically First Amendment issues–and at some point in the near future will probably sell the whole kit and caboodle to a more stable organization, like Americans United. He will then wash his hands of the whole matter having mergered what he could not accomplish.

Posted: 31 May 2010 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-05-31

I don’t think Hoffmann’s view is totally unbiased, and there may be an axe to grind there.  Nor is his characterization entirely fair.  Ron Lindsay inherited a bloated, overextended organization and had basically an impossible task as a recession hit all charitable giving.  Now, with apparent sniping from disgruntled former employees, and bitter public critiques from its former chairman, no doubt donations will continue to fall.  If people cared more about the institution and its ideals, they would work to guide and support the organization, develop greater dialogue and constructive criticism within and surrounding it, and worry less about their egos and legacies.  It’s sad to see this come down to this sort of internal warfare and airing of dirty laundry.

Posted: 06 April 2011 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  6041
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 19 May 2010 01:31 PM

and even better, “homo sapiens sapiens”...........as in…...“double dose”........ LOL

No hominid (see hominid books) fossils but those of Homo sapiens sapiens have been found in Australia

This might be of interest:
http://www.halexandria.org/dward189.htm

A logical question is that if mankind is the product of a genetic crossbreeding, is there any reason why the average human cannot attain a greater portion of the powers and longevity of one of his parent stocks, i.e. evolve to the next step:  Homo sapiens sapiens sapiens?

Off hand, I can’t think of a single reason why not.

cool hmm

[ Edited: 06 April 2011 10:05 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 07 April 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
getreal - 31 May 2010 07:05 AM

... If people cared more about the institution and its ideals, they would work to guide and support the organization, develop greater dialogue and constructive criticism within and surrounding it, and worry less about their egos and legacies.  It’s sad to see this come down to this sort of internal warfare and airing of dirty laundry.

I agree that it is sad, but why did the “institution and its ideals” need to change (did they change?).
An interview with Paul revealing his side of things is found HERE.

Edit to add: That link also includes a link to Lindsay’s response so you can hear both sides directly from the sources. Toward the end of the text at that link, the changes in the tactics of CFI are given by Lindsay.

[ Edited: 07 April 2011 07:46 AM by traveler ]
 Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 07 April 2011 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I hope you last two posters realize you’ve discussing a topic that’s almost a year old and died then.  oh oh

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 April 2011 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 07 April 2011 04:06 PM

I hope you last two posters realize you’ve discussing a topic that’s almost a year old and died then.  oh oh

Occam

Nope! Didn’t realize that. Been away a long time… Thanks for letting me know. It’s just wrong to kick a dead horse.  smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

2 of 2