2 of 6
The space shuttles, wow!
Posted: 17 April 2011 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

The NASA Space Shuttles: coming to a city near you, soon!

NYC is getting the show-floor model, with no dents and low mileage, clean as a whistle, in NYC style.  cool smile

Houston… oh, poor Houston.  downer  That is so harsh!

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 18 April 2011 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Well, I suppose Enterprise is better than nothing for NYC, but I’d been hoping for one that actually went into space ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 April 2011 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4403
Joined  2010-08-15

It is a beautiful bird, tough to believe that chapter is almost over.  I can distinctly remember various articles on different shuttle options and the controversy, fears, complications around the heat tiles, and various other delays - but they built the incredible thing and it worked fairly well.  I am sorry I’ll never get to see one blast off, bet it’s quite an experience feeling all that power, even from miles away.

Just last week I learned an interesting fact:
Do you know those thousand of tons of water that are injected into the chamber below the rocket at ignition - That isn’t being done to cool anything, so much as a sound dampening measure without which the sonic forces would disintegrate the rocket.  pretty amazing stuff.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 18 April 2011 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

The main engines don’t use rocket fuel, they combine oxygen and hydrogen to propel the orbiters, the reaction makes a cloud of water… they are not rocket powered, they are CLOUD POWERED orbiters.  Anything you can say about the shuttles sounds amazing!  They have computers, dozens of them!  Remember how amazing that was, back in a time when only large institutions had computers?

How can anyone be anything but grateful to have a Space Shuttle!  They are amazing! 

What’s going to happen to all the video of them now?  If we can’t see them in action, then the videos become invaluable history.

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2011 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Space Shuttle and International Space Station technology FAQ

Signature 

Posted: 18 April 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
jump_in_the_pit - 18 April 2011 11:16 AM

Space Shuttle and International Space Station technology FAQ

Cool link, thanks.

Here’s more on that sound suppression thing,
http://www.nasa.gov/missions/shuttle/f_watertest.html
“The system includes a 290-foot-high water tank filled with 300,000 gallons of water, and it empties in 41 seconds during a launch. Water pours from 16 nozzles on top of the flame deflectors and from outlets in the Shuttle main engine exhaust hole in the MLP at main engine ignition, which occurs approximately 7 seconds before liftoff.”

Like you said, everything about the Shuttle is Oh Wow   surprised
59087main1_water1.jpg
59089main1_water2.jpg
TALK ABOUT A RAINBIRD
59091main2_water3.jpg
{Incidentally, these images are of a test after a bunch of pumps and “nozzles” were replaced a few years back.
Everybody came out to watch.}

[ Edited: 19 April 2011 02:19 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

Posted: 15 May 2011 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Alrightie then, this time we gonna do it.
12 hours and counting down.

153212main_rss2.jpg
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/shuttle_google_earth.html

Signature 

Posted: 15 May 2011 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20

Impressive as they are, the shuttles are mainly a 1970’s technology in the 21st century. 
Too expensive to refit with modern tech, they have outlived their useful life.  NASA needs
a modern heavy lift vehicle with a capacity near the Saturn V’s, whose plans are long lost!

I am wicked glad that my local Science Center, Los Angeles, is getting Endeavour, which
is quite the coup.  I’ll be there when that exhibit opens.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 15 May 2011 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
TeachScience - 15 May 2011 07:36 PM

Impressive as they are, the shuttles are mainly a 1970’s technology in the 21st century. 
Too expensive to refit with modern tech, they have outlived their useful life.  NASA needs
a modern heavy lift vehicle with a capacity near the Saturn V’s, whose plans are long lost!

I am wicked glad that my local Science Center, Los Angeles, is getting Endeavour, which
is quite the coup.  I’ll be there when that exhibit opens.

Yea, well I’m a seventies guy too, and getting close to out living my useful life also… so excuse me if I gloat   cool smile

But, you touched on something I wish I knew more about.
I also heard that pretty much all of the Gemini plans disappeared.
What’s the deal?
Do you know anything about it?

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2011 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

TeachScience is quite correct about the shuttles using 1970s technology.  That was one of the NASA requirements imposed on Rockwell because they wanted to keep the costs down by minimizing development of new materials and processes.  Too bad, because if they had allowed that, we’d probably be able to get another five or ten years usable life out of the shuttles.

So Edeavour is coming home since it was built in Downey, just a few miles south east of down-town Los Angeles.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 May 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

So what is the deal with the:
“Saturn V’s, whose plans are long lost!”
Or the rumor I’m aware of that most of the Apollo space craft plans are also lost… missing?

Wasn’t that stuff archived somewhere?

Signature 

Posted: 16 May 2011 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Oh they’ve probably gutted those ships a hundred times over, with updated technology each time.  1970’s frame, engines, launch pad sure.  But Saturn, Soyuz, and other rockets will take technology back further than the 1970’s!  You know what that means, time for a new design!  grin  I’m certainly not one to nostalgize dated tech, but the Space Shuttles are pioneering and special.  smile  Hubble, the International Space Station, Stardust, Kepler, Oddessy and Spirit rovers… those ships have quite a history to live up to.  grin

Signature 

Posted: 17 May 2011 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20

To clarify, the plans are extant on microfilm, but the blueprints are lost.  We need a new heavy lift vehicle with similar capabilities to the SV, not a retread of the SV.
A return to the Moon or a manned mission to Mars (both wastes of resources IMO) will need a vehicle similar to a Saturn V.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 18 May 2011 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
TeachScience - 17 May 2011 10:36 AM

To clarify, the plans are extant on microfilm, but the blueprints are lost.  We need a new heavy lift vehicle with similar capabilities to the SV, not a retread of the SV.
A return to the Moon or a manned mission to Mars (both wastes of resources IMO) will need a vehicle similar to a Saturn V.

Hmmm.
Still wish I knew more about it and the supposedly missing Gemini plans.
But, I’ll be honest the reason it intrigues me is because of goons like Stephen McIntyre who have made missing ancient original data retention a corner stone of their attacks on climate science.

So it seems interesting that the plans to billion dollar engineering projects disappear into the void.
Oh it’s on micro-film… sure… how do we know the originals weren’t tampered with before photographing… eh grrr
cheese

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2011 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

110516-shuttle-stefanie-gordon-9a.photoblog900.jpg
Stefanie Gordon: “after the final liftoff of space shuttle Endeavour near Cape Canaveral Kennedy on Monday, May 16, 2011”
msnbcmedia.msn.com

Signature 

2 of 6