Posted: 20 July 2011 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 20 July 2011 08:31 AM
George - 20 July 2011 06:37 AM

Entertainment. Nothing wrong with that.

Hadn’t looked at it that way.

Maybe you haven’t looked at it that way, but you probably have experienced some degree of joy based on these kind of “studies” at some point. Supposedly, when we watch a movie based on a true story we enjoy it more. Maybe if Forman was to shoot Amadeus today and based the ending on the Mozart research, he could have told you it was based on a true story and you would have liked it that much more.

[ Edited: 20 July 2011 09:11 AM by George ]

Posted: 21 July 2011 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Touchdown! NASA does it again.  Yay!  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 21 July 2011 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

I am deeply divided about the end of the Space Shuttle program. On the one hand, I feel great sadness that the American manned space program is coming to an end. It seems unlikely to me that we will ever mount such an ambitious effort again; the lockjaw that now besets American politics will cripple our economy for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, the manned space program was more symbolism than substance. In terms of scientific output, we get a lot more bang for the buck with unmanned efforts. So what was the real purpose of the space program: patriotic rah-rah or scientific progress?

Posted: 21 July 2011 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

rGNHG.Em.56.jpg

tha, tha, that’s all folks

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 21 July 2011 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

Not great on science, but great on inspiration. Sad to see it end.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 July 2011 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
George - 20 July 2011 07:15 AM
Chris Crawford - 20 July 2011 06:50 AM

This discussion is also pointless, is it not? Indeed, are not the discussions on this board every bit as pointless as the Mozart research?

No, they are entertaining, just like the Mozart research. I know some people come here to change the world, but in the end, those individuals are usually the greatest source of entertainment.  cheese

Hey, what’s wrong with wanting to help change the world a little bit.    hmmm

Of course, getting too obsessed can lead to trouble,
then again, not sure any great achievements are possible without a certain degree of obsessiveness.   

I could have been a Michelin level chef, had I been able to get obsessive about it, alas too many other interesting things to do with one’s life than spend a couple decades worrying about food 24/7.
~ ~ ~

Oh and sometimes trying to participate in trying to change the world, is a form of self-medication against the hopelessness in the face of the momentum of events going down out there.

The ship may be going down, but I’d just as soon keep bailing, if it’s all the same to the figurative (you) sir    grin

[ Edited: 21 July 2011 07:43 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

6 of 6