14 of 15
Selling humanism philosophy…..
Posted: 07 August 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 196 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

The comment that we all have bits and pieces of every human that walked the earth may have meant that a great deal of the DNA we are made up of is basic for every human (and quite a bit of it common to all life). 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 August 2011 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 197 ]
Total Posts:  5996
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 06 August 2011 07:10 PM
Mriana - 06 August 2011 06:43 PM

the most attractive people are bi or multi-racial.

No, white people are the most attractive.

Yes, all that body hair is just irresistible. Everyone just loves Papa Bear.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 11 August 2011 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 198 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-08-11

Very interesting comment thread as I am new on here.  I have seen the term “humanist” and to some extent have found it lacking because I am an atheist and a possibly a humanist.  I don’t want to approach humanism from a religious standpoint.  I want to work at a non religious food bank, not at a Church food drive.  I don’t want to be part of a religion.  Is humanism just a way to be part of something if you have no organized religion to join?  To me, in this day and age, humanism has to explicitly reject irrational thinking.  After all, to me it is about approaching the world based on evidence.

Posted: 11 August 2011 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 199 ]
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

Good questions, but they don’t have simple answers.  You may want to search the CFI website, check humanism on Wikipedia and go from there.  If you have the patience you may go back in the archives of this forum because all of these questions have been hashed out fairly thoroughly in the past.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 August 2011 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 200 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-08-11

Thanks.  I will do some research on my own and be back in touch.

Posted: 29 August 2011 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 201 ]
Total Posts:  2631
Joined  2011-04-24
Mriana - 06 August 2011 07:17 PM
mid atlantic - 06 August 2011 06:50 PM

In regards to Obama, he identifies himself as black, physically and socially, even though he was raised by his white mother and her parents. His African father abandoned him because he was a deadbeat piece of shit who couldn’t take responsibility for his life. If it wasn’t for his “white side” of the family, he would have been an orphan on the street. I bet Michelle hates that! wink  Race does exist as a biological cocept and a social concept. A little bit of genetic difference is all it takes.

My sons identify as both Black and White, but were raised by me.

There is a definite pattern here.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 August 2011 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 202 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
Write4U - 06 August 2011 07:23 PM

George’s posts sometimes remind me of a modern day deep south joke.

A bus with little black and white boys and girls go to the zoo. Along the way the kids are hurling racial insults to each other. This continues even during the visit at the zoo.
Finally it is time for the kids to leave and by this time the driver is sick of the constant bickering. So he gathers all around him and sternly admonishes them that he is sick of all these black and white insults. He tells them that from now on everyone is green, no exceptions.
Then he urges them back onto the bus and reminds them that “dark green sits in the back of the bus”.

`
You do Redd Foxx proud!  :)

Redd Foxx tells a civil rights story

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 13 September 2011 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 203 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2011-09-02
steveg144 - 06 June 2010 07:43 AM

I think that is the single largest stumbling block to any large-scale acceptance of humanism. Humanism presumes a literate, thoughtful, intellectually engaged populace willing to openly consider the question of whether it’s own cherished beliefs and assumptions might perhaps be wrong. Such a populace doesn’t exist, not any more, not in America. Honestly, I am starting to suspect that the current level of acceptance of humanist principles may very well be our “high water mark”; it won’t get any better, and will probably get much, much worse. The West—and especially America—is going through a rapid and catastrophic cultural devolution.

intelligentsia; the people regarded as, or regarding themselves as, the educated and enlightened class; intellectuals collectively.

That is all I heard from this post, intelligentsia verbiage.

To me, Humanist and those of like-minds need to get off the high horse and step into the trenches of the common American who has been going through hell. No, many of us do not have the time or money to spend on higher education. Acceptance of the Humanist point of view doesn’t take a degree, nor be intellectually engaged, nor protesting in the streets, nor in using flowery vocabulary at dinner over roast duck with orange-balsamic glaze with a Alsatian white pinot noir served at 7:00.

Our universities are slap full with professor’s and students who are of secular mind and these United States have millions who have secular interests. Question is why label oneself and join membership to an organization that offers nothing new or improved. Just another entity collecting dues such as a church. 

Maybe steveg144, these Americans know much more than you lack credit for.

Posted: 13 September 2011 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 204 ]
Total Posts:  5996
Joined  2009-02-26
ohio204 - 13 September 2011 11:30 AM

I think that is the single largest stumbling block to any large-scale acceptance of humanism. Humanism presumes a literate, thoughtful, intellectually engaged populace willing to openly consider the question of whether it’s own cherished beliefs and assumptions might perhaps be wrong. Such a populace doesn’t exist, not any more, not in America. Honestly, I am starting to suspect that the current level of acceptance of humanist principles may very well be our “high water mark”; it won’t get any better, and will probably get much, much worse. The West—and especially America—is going through a rapid and catastrophic cultural devolution.

intelligentsia; the people regarded as, or regarding themselves as, the educated and enlightened class; intellectuals collectively.

To me, Humanist and those of like-minds need to get off the high horse and step into the trenches of the common American who has been going through hell. No, many of us do not have the time or money to spend on higher education. Acceptance of the Humanist point of view doesn’t take a degree, nor be intellectually engaged, nor protesting in the streets, nor in using flowery vocabulary at dinner over roast duck with orange-balsamic glaze with a Alsatian white pinot noir served at 7:00.

Our universities are slap full with professor’s and students who are of secular mind and these United States have millions who have secular interests. Question is why label oneself and join membership to an organization that offers nothing new or improved. Just another entity collecting dues such as a church. 

The extreme you mentioned is true, to a degree.  However, knowledgeable scientists and philosophers are needed to identify why humanism is an essential part of human life, so that one can argue “The Case For…....” with confidence and fact.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 September 2011 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 205 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2011-08-05
Write4U - 13 September 2011 02:54 PM
ohio204 - 13 September 2011 11:30 AM

The extreme you mentioned is true, to a degree.  However, knowledgeable scientists and philosophers are needed to identify why humanism is an essential part of human life, so that one can argue “The Case For…....” with confidence and fact.

Ideally, all parents should have time and knowledge to educate children at homes, up to certain well defined level. But what about social interactions with other kids, black white, green etc.? This is also part of education.

Signature 

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia), a retired nuclear physicist from New Jersey, USA. A am also the author of a FREE ONLINE book: “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is an autobiography based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

Posted: 13 September 2011 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 206 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Green kids?  gulp

Posted: 13 September 2011 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 207 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 13 September 2011 05:11 PM

Green kids?  gulp

Oh, there’s that prejudice showing again…  LOL

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 September 2011 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 208 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

It’s not prejudice. I am freaked out!

Posted: 13 September 2011 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 209 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

If a kid looks green, doesn’t that mean s/he is about to puke?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 13 September 2011 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 210 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

That’s pretty racist, Mriana.

14 of 15