1 of 3
Good skeptic/science interview
Posted: 25 May 2010 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

astrophysicist Mario Livio did a good interview on the radio show “Speaking of Faith”.  The hostess occasionally has some scientific/skeptic types on the show, and those episodes seem good.  The interviews are normally light-hearted and fun.  The hostess gets spiritual at times, but Livio gentle and kindly grounded her back down to Earth, so it was good.  smile  Full of good physics, math, and Hubble telescope talk also.  smile  Skeptics, do check it out.

The links on the web site are impossible to read, but if you want the links to the audio they are in the black box at the bottom of the big Hubble image.  Highlight that text to change the color.

[ Edited: 25 May 2010 10:12 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 28 May 2010 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Norm Allen of the CFI did a great interview about Humanism/Atheism for “Tell Me More” on NPR, on Friday May 28, 2010, between approximately 2:00-2:30 p.m.  NPR, that is a big broadcast!  Norm and the woman he teamed with did great!  grin

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2010 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

You can find that Norm Allen interview here:
“Black Atheists Say Non-Belief Means Cultural Outsider”

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2010 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 28 May 2010 09:46 PM

He nailed that one! smirk Welcome to my world!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 May 2010 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28
jump_in_the_pit - 28 May 2010 09:46 PM

I can’t get enough of Norm Allen. Thank you!  grin

And thanks for the Mario Livio link too. I heard him on the Leonard Lopate Show a while back discussing his book “Is God A Mathematician?”

Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 29 May 2010 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

I’ve never heard of Mario Livio. I’ll have to look him up. Thanks!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 01 June 2010 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

I found Allen and the woman to be very refreshing.  The really sounded pleasant, intelligent, and clever.  I hope that putting a black face on a message like that does help all of our population in the USA, including the blacks, to move more towards humanism. 

I think that the move will be toward their benefit.  Imagine what a group of humanists could do with the money that is directed away from the churches and toward good social projects.  The black churches get credited with doing good works for the black population, but why couldn’t humanists do the same sort of works outside the churches?

Signature 

Posted: 01 June 2010 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Livio did well.  The hostess, Tippet, she mentioned videos and lectures that they are doing together [26:10].  I guess that they’ve teamed up for a little while.  Although I don’t see the “SOF Live” page that she mentioned, I do see some videos listed on their vimeo page (one of those little icons at the top of the Speaking of Faith page).

I thought it was interesting how Livio mentioned Penrose’s characterizing the universe as having three worlds, one being the physical world, one being the world inside our brains, and the third being mathematics.  Then he described how these conflict and are interdependent: the physical world creating images in our brains, our brains inventing/discovering the mathematical; and that world defining and describing the physical.  I thought that was clever. 

A person who “... needs a god that is there for him or her every day, every minute every second. Science has nothing to say about a god like this.  This is in a completely parallel plain…” without overlap [21:44, though that thought begins at about 19:50], agreeing with Stephen J. Gould’s two separate majesteria.

And most important, Livio and I think that Tippet agrees, that science should be communicated like art is, as culture.  For example, Livio explained that the Hubble has brought the great passion for discovery into people’s homes, this is important to Livio.  I wonder how science/discovery can be comunicated better, maybe dramatized?

I’ve outlined the highlights in the audio, if you’d like:

is math discovered, or invented: 7:07
Roger Penrose’s three worlds: 10:18
beauty and mathematicians; symmetry : 13:13
science/art/religion influencing each other: 19:50
God is a mathematician : 25:20
SOF live page: 26:00
Alfred North Whitehead: 30:20
more mystery: 31:17
baby-steps; Jack Szostak: 36:27
Hubble telescope; communicating science like art is communicated, as culture: 37:15
new mysteries, 1998, dark energy: 43:40
humans at the center?: 42:16
Lord Kelvin; everything has been solved but just two small problems: 46:45
“Who ordered this?”: 47:25

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2010 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Did anyone see “What Darwin Never Knew” on PBS?  An excellent documentary summizing
Darwin, and highlighting some recent genetic discoveries that reveal evolution, and
some modern examples of evolution being documented from a desert mouse and elsewhere! 
Good interviews of some scientists too.  grin

Signature 

Posted: 23 September 2010 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

It is listed as a rental on my channels. I’ll wait till it is free!

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2010 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2005-07-20
asanta - 23 September 2010 10:32 PM

It is listed as a rental on my channels. I’ll wait till it is free!

Huh?  It is a PBS show, it is a Nova episode, it was broadcast over-the-air
and you can watch it on (or buy it from) their web site.

Signature 

Posted: 24 September 2010 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Maybe I’ll buy it from the website. I refuse to give the cable company $5 to rent it!

Signature 

Posted: 01 April 2011 12:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

I enjoyed this Edward Witten interview by Ira Flatow.  He discusses the life of a physicist and string theory.

Signature 

Posted: 25 July 2011 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Professor Al-Khalili is doing well with the show “Unlocking the Universe” on the Science Channel He’s a nuclear physicist, he’s been explaining the history of chemistry, highlighting some of the big leaps forward, the people, and showing some of the tools.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Physicist Lisa Randall did a good interview with Lenard Lopate (click “Listen”) on 10/03/2011 at noon.  She’s trying to explain the process of experimenting and theorizing so that people can relate to it better.  She touches on religion saying that it wasn’t always in conflict with science, but that at some level we all really know which one is true.  Her new book is, Knocking on Heaven’s Door: How Physics and Scientific Thinking Illuminate the Universe and the Modern World aimed at the common people.

Richard Dawkins interviewed in the show just before that one, he did well too.  He has a new book out, “The Magic of Reality”.  His interview focused on the conflict between him and the religious extremists, and the differences between the good “magic” of discovering the real world, and the “nonsense” of the supernatural world.

Signature 

Posted: 03 October 2011 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Jump thanks for that series, amazingly I got most of that first interview before it went all to hell again.

jump_in_the_pit - 01 April 2011 12:28 AM

I enjoyed this Edward Witten interview by Ira Flatow.  He discusses the life of a physicist and string theory.

Interesting and worth the listen
I will be listening to your other links with interest… perhaps tomorrow I’ll have to stick around town a bit to download this stuff.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

PS.
Signature
Your rights begin,where my rights end.
~ ~ ~

incidentally,
I find your signature a bit disconcerting…
seems like an ugly zero sum thing you are embracing

care to share any details?

[ Edited: 03 October 2011 10:45 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

1 of 3