2 of 3
Good skeptic/science interview
Posted: 04 October 2011 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Enjoy the interviews, I heard the Randall on the radio, I didn’t play the whole interview on the I-net.  I hope it works for you soon CC.

CC, “a bit disconcerting… seems like an ugly zero sum thing you are embracing”?  I remember once I was walking across the street, a man drove up to the cross-walk, stopped for the red light inside the cross-walk blocking my way.  To walk in front of the car, I would have had to walk in traffic that was right beside of the cross-walk, so I complained to him that he was blocking the cross-walk, he crossed the line.  And then he actually argued me about it?! rolleyes  Some people really don’t realize that, often times, where your rights end that’s where someone else’s begin.  It’s a simple truth, CC, that’s all.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 04 October 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

jitp,
perhaps that’s why I’ve crafted this off sides existence for myself, I do like my freedom and not clashing with others,
tough thing to achieve in the city.

cool smirk

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 05 October 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Speaking of signatures: “How many times do lies need to be exposed before we have permission to trash them?”  What do you call the West Indians?  LOL  You wanna talk about a lie that never gets trashed!  Tradition, you know, we’ll celebrate the Purist Pilgrims’ dinner with the West Indians this November too, because they settled first.  Don’t mention Jamestown, VA or the Clovis people this November. LOL  We’ll keep calling it the Pythagorean theorem too.  We’ll call the race cars in the Southern USA, stock cars.  We’ll call the people who build your water pipes plumbers, even though they’re not supposed to use lead anymore (lead, you know, element Pb from the Latin word plumbum).  And call them pencil leads too.  We’ll call them American cars, those made in Asia and the USA both.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2011 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Yum.  That plate of pasta tonight was just delicious.  smile  And this interview with Bobby Henderson was good too.

“A.M. Four years later, is Creationism still strong in Kansas? What’s the situation in the US regarding to this question?

“B.H. Kansas is a world of its own. There are a lot of Creationists in public office who believe it is their Duty to God to promote the beliefs of the church into their work.  What seems obvious to us – that religion has no part in government and schools, or at the very least, that a *specific chosen* religion has no place there – is not obvious to religious nuts.  All the well-reasoned discussion in the world is not going to get through to them.  We have to stay diligent.”

lainformacion: Bob Henderson: “I get about 20 sightings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster every week”

Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2011 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

This is puzzling, what do you think of this interview?  Cyndi Lauper on “Good Day” television (video) says, [7:45] “I’m not in Catholic school anymore.  I got thrown out twice in grade school.  I knew there was a [no?] God then.”  Why did she get kicked out of Catholic grade school?  It sounded like she was kicked out for knowing there was a god, but why would Catholic school kick her out for knowing that?  Maybe she got kicked out for knowing there was no god, but she misspoke during the interview?  Which do you think she meant “a god” or “no god”, is she devout or not?  And she, of course, talks about her good music and important homeless gay charity work.

Signature 

Posted: 23 November 2011 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Rejoice muslims and skeptics alike, Muhammad gives us a whole new Sharia Law, as a woman.  Now the law says that being kind is good, and being mean is bad.  And its the law, so do it.  smile

Muhammad tells it like it is

She’ll be speaking at the Reason Rally.

Signature 

Posted: 10 December 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

suvarenee : Faith is not evidence!

Renee has good commentary too.  Some of her videos are tongue-in-cheek videos.

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2011 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Wow, its like a trend on YouTube… Ex-Mormon videos.  smile

“There are positives but they are profoundly out-weighed by the negatives.”

Why I’m No Longer Mormon

“The cool thing is, your family’s all you got.”

Mormon Family, Atheist Me.

“Like a judge, who has to reverse his decision based on new evidence…”

“Hi, my name is Michelle and I’m an Ex Mormon.”

“Why didn’t I like myself?  Why wasn’t satisfied with the way my life was going?  Why did I feel like I alway had to plead with God to help me accept things, and to be happy?

“My name is Sarah and I’m an Ex Mormon.”

Signature 

Posted: 18 December 2011 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

I might be over-doing this list, but I enjoyed it.  Maybe you will too.

Response to 5 Questions for Atheists

Rebuke of religion being the source of morals.
Atheists have no morals.

Lady GaGa says religion is bogus.
Lady Gaga’s Thoughts on Religion

Comedian Bill Hicks asks Christians for forgiveness.
Perfect reaction to angry Christians

This one is a theist argument against the idea one can start with some simple amino acids, and life can evolve from that.  He says that when a live cell is in a nutrient rich fluid, at a good temperature, then one pokes the cell with a needle causing the inards to leak out, there you have all the molecules needed for a living cell, and the cell can’t be put back together again.  What do you think skeptics?
Disproving Atheists in 82 seconds

Actor Morgan Freeman has faith in science.
Do Not Call Morgan Freeman “A Man of God”!

Priest: The fact is, we don’t know exactly how things happened.
Priest can’t answer how all humans came from Cain and Abel

Tongue-in-cheek tips for Christians by Lacey (gogreen18).
A Christian’s Guide to Atheists

Shawn (VenomFangXmirror) on Apr 29, 2009 uses the dates of ancient gospel manustripts including Thomas, and Bible quotes which promote God to refute GoGreen18.  A Christian but sharp argument.
Answering GoGreen 18

Lacey (gogreen18) on May 14, 2009 rebuttle to Shawn.
VFX 2: Full circle

Creation Science man in an interview, asking without God, what do we have?  The lies start with the title of the video and continue in the video.  downer
What If Atheists Are Wrong,Matt Damon Rips Sarah Palin ,Dinosaurs,Charlie Rose, Letterman (5).wmv

[ Edited: 18 December 2011 09:34 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2011 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Responding to “Disproving Atheists in 82 Seconds”:  The major mistake he makes is assuming that the tiny amount of chemicals from one punctured cell will instantly become life.  If he were to do it on a world wide scale, that is, all of the oceans filled with precursors of life, expose them to a wide variety of energy sources, heat from volcanos, light and ultraviolet from the sun, lightning, ocean agitation (tides), cosmic rays, meteor strikes, and do it for a couple of billion years, and repeat the same scenario, say, a hundred times without getting life, then I might give his argument a small amount of credence.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 December 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

More specific cartoon

Good analysis Occam. 

The cell is so complex, and his video was so simplistic, it looked like an awful clash.  I’m worried that his audience will be vulnerable to people like him, he sounds so certain about something so complex, so certain about his conclusion.  Maybe he really believed in what he said and thought he had proof, but maybe he did it to deceive people.  downer  That looked like a complex cell to me, perhaps there are much simpler cells that are older, simple evolved first then complex cells came after.  Wouldn’t a simpler cell be more able to repair itself?

I see some good background information about early life on Earth, a geology course from Michigan State University.

“The actual ratio of the various gasses that made up the atmosphere at the time of the origin of life may never be known, but the proportions of the various gasses does not seem to be critical to the events which followed. What is critical is that none of the models for the atmosphere include free oxygen. A lack of oxygen is consistent with the known atmospheres of any of the planets in the solar system.”

“While multiple life origin events are a theoretical possibility, the universal nature of the DNA genetic code and the extreme specificity of living cells with respect to chemical isomers, suggests that all living cells today are probably descended from a single primordial cell type. Other proto-cell types may have evolved, but, if they did, they were ultimately displaced by the descendants of the single cell lineage.”

“Together, the two evolutionary innovations have led to the paradox where almost all organisms in the biosphere require constant supplies of a biochemically toxic gas to maintain their sophisticated cell structure. The descendants of prokaryotic bacteria that did not evolve pathways to disable oxygen within their cells (obligate anaerobes) became progressively less common as oxygen levels continued to rise through the late Precambrian and Paleozoic and are now confined to rare environments where oxygen is essentially absent. In effect, the entire fabric of life reflects events and innovations dating back to the dawn of life itself.”

MSU Professor Ralph E. Taggart :Origin of Life

Ralph E. Taggart Index

ISB200 History of Life Lecture Syllabus: Summer 2011

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2012 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

James Gates portrait

Physicist S. James Gates did a good interview on Super symmetry, mathematics, an discrete encoding found inside the new mathematical objects called adinkras, and the fun and beauty of physics.  His book is Symbols of Power: Adinkras and the Nature of Reality

On Being: Uncovering the codes for reality

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2012 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  6160
Joined  2009-02-26

jump_in_the_pit,

This one is a theist argument against the idea one can start with some simple amino acids, and life can evolve from that.  He says that when a live cell is in a nutrient rich fluid, at a good temperature, then one pokes the cell with a needle causing the inards to leak out, there you have all the molecules needed for a living cell, and the cell can’t be put back together again.  What do you think skeptics?

We covered this in another thread recently.  It was a discussion on the argument for “irreducible complexity”.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 06 March 2012 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  6160
Joined  2009-02-26
jump_in_the_pit - 06 March 2012 12:20 AM

James Gates portrait

Physicist S. James Gates did a good interview on Super symmetry, mathematics, an discrete encoding found inside the new mathematical objects called adinkras, and the fun and beauty of physics.  His book is Symbols of Power: Adinkras and the Nature of Reality

On Being: Uncovering the codes for reality

Seems like a variation of CDT (Causal Dynamic Triangulation).

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 08 March 2012 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2005-07-20
Write4U - 06 March 2012 12:49 AM

jump_in_the_pit,

We covered this in another thread recently.  It was a discussion on the argument for “irreducible complexity”.

I must have missed that, I haven’t been following this forum closely, lately.

Signature 

2 of 3