Posted: 09 March 2012 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
jump_in_the_pit - 08 March 2012 10:56 PM
Write4U - 06 March 2012 12:49 AM

jump_in_the_pit,
Disproving Atheists in 82 seconds

We covered this in another thread recently.  It was a discussion on the argument for “irreducible complexity”.

I must have missed that, I haven’t been following this forum closely, lately.

Here is a little clip which disproves one of the often used examples of irreducible complexity by the ID proponents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQQ7ubVIqo4&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL29E681EB1799AA2F

or from the very beginning of the lecture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9a-lFn4hqY&feature=bf_next&list=PL29E681EB1799AA2F&lf=results_main

[ Edited: 09 March 2012 12:46 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 09 March 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Professor Pagels of Princeton

Professor Elaine Pagels does a good job with the Bible, she seems religious, but she’s a skeptic too.  She has a new book about the history behind the book of Revelation in the Bible, and she’s done a good interview with NPR about it, about how the author John of Patmos was a Jew who believed in the Messiah during Roman military occupation Jerusalem, just after the Romans laid waste to the Jewish temple, and that the book was written in protest of the Roman army, the seven headed beast being a coded for the ancient Roman leadership.  The history speaks to the modern day mis-interpretation that the “End times” is near, which holds no water.

“I don’t think we understand this book until we understand that it’s wartime literature,” she says. “It comes out of that war, and it comes out of people who have been destroyed by war.

“Other images in Revelation — which include bright red beasts with seven heads, and dragons, monsters and cosmic eruptions — were likely influenced by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, which buried and destroyed the city of Pompeii, she says.”

“It seems as though [John] reacted to that, saying, ‘Jesus is coming and he is going to destroy all of this.’ It was John’s conviction that the destruction of Jerusalem was the beginning of the end of time that Jesus had predicted.”

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 11 June 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Down to the bottom of the ocean

Ya’ know, Krista Tippett is a theologian, she’s on the heavenly side of the aisle, but she’ll do some good science interviews from time-to-time, many of her interviews are heavenly, but some of them are good.  smile

The On Being: Janna Levin interview was a very good expression of the physics/scientific view-point of the world, the passionate search for the facts, the single-minded focus on the search.

The On Being: Oceanographer Sylvia Earle interview was good, about walking the bottom of the ocean, the world that we don’t yet know, the Earth’s greatest expanse of terrafirma (the sub-marine type).  Good one.  grin

[ Edited: 11 June 2012 01:20 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 12 June 2012 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
jump_in_the_pit - 11 June 2012 01:03 PM

Down to the bottom of the ocean

Ya’ know, Krista Tippett is a theologian, she’s on the heavenly side of the aisle, but she’ll do some good science interviews from time-to-time, many of her interviews are heavenly, but some of them are good.  smile

The On Being: Janna Levin interview was a very good expression of the physics/scientific view-point of the world, the passionate search for the facts, the single-minded focus on the search.

The On Being: Oceanographer Sylvia Earle interview was good, about walking the bottom of the ocean, the world that we don’t yet know, the Earth’s greatest expanse of terrafirma (the sub-marine type).  Good one.  grin

Good stuff. I used to listen to her show/podcast a lot, back when it was called Speaking of Faith and I was in my exploring, post-christian-but-still-spiritual phase. I remember one show where she talked to a Jewish guy (might have even been a Rabbi) who was also a physicist. I remember being amazed at how the guy accepted everything revealed by science but still held on to his faith. I thought it was a bit absurd, to be honest, although interesting. It was along about that time that I decided I was not going to be that guy. It was either reason or faith, you can’t have both.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 14 June 2012 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2005-07-20
FreeInKy - 12 June 2012 07:13 AM

Good stuff. I used to listen to her show/podcast a lot, back when it was called Speaking of Faith

... and I was in my exploring, post-christian-but-still-spiritual phase. I remember one show where she talked to a Jewish guy (might have even been a Rabbi) who was also a physicist. I remember being amazed at how the guy accepted everything revealed by science but still held on to his faith. I thought it was a bit absurd, to be honest, although interesting. It was along about that time that I decided I was not going to be that guy. It was either reason or faith, you can’t have both.

So while you were “post-christian-but-still-spiritual”, what did you think of her science episodes, and of her heavenly ones?  Did it broaden your mind at all, or sway you towards the profane world?  Religion is a dedicated pursuit, I’m not surprised to see anyone stick to it, but happy to see them step across the aisle.

When I hear her with an irreligious ear, I can hardly listen to the wishful thinking and dreaminess in her heavenly episodes, but the science ones really grab my attention.  She’s really trying to straddle a very wide aisle, not even she has tried to merge the two into one show, from what I’ve heard.  :shrug:

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2012 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

hmmm, pretty good info in this thread

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 13 September 2012 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

On the historical value of the Bible:

Hector Avalos is quoting Dever because he is a Bible scholar who, like all scholars disregard the historical accuracy of the Bible but Dever, wants to keep just a few books in high regard.  So Avalos demonstrates the attitude of this man, so enthusiastic about the historical accuracy of the Bible, with:

[15:21] [Quoting Dever] “With most scholars I would exclude much of the Pentateuch, specifically the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, and Numbers… much of what is called in the English Bible ‘poetry,’ ‘wisdom,’ and ‘devotional literature’ must also be eliminated from historical consideration.  Ruth, Ester, Job, and Danial historical novella with contrived “real-life settings” the latter dating as late as the second century B.C.”  Well what’s left?!  Well, what’s left is Samual, Kings, Judges.

Just more reason why you should not read the Bible, read anything but the Bible, even read the Bible scholars, just not the Bible itself.

[31:30]“Yes you’ve probably heard of the James ossuary.  This is supposed to be the earliest mention of Jesus in the archaeological record.”  It has been declared to be a forgery by the Israeli Antiquities Authority.  And beyond that, Jesus and James were common names anyway.

[36:55]“In a 2005 Gallop poll: fewer than half of Americans can name the first book of the Bible.”  smile  Wouldn’t you also like to be American too?

Minnesota Atheists: Hector Avalos - The end of Biblical Studies

[ Edited: 17 September 2012 11:03 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

“The Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction”  A debate between Dr. Lane Craig and Dr. Hector Avalos on February 1, 2004, at BIOLA University, Iowa, USA.  All the episodes are short audios on Youtube.

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 0/14 - Introduction [7:01]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 1/14 - William Lane Craig opens [10:02]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 2/14 - William Lane Craig opens

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 3/14 - Hector Avalos opens

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 4/14

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 5/14 - First Rebuttals

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 6/14 - First Rebuttals

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 7/14 - First Rebuttals [5:58]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 8/14 - William Lane Craig’s Second Rebuttal

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 9/14 - Hector Avalos’ Second Rebuttal [5:43]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 10/14 - Concluding Remarks [8:29]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 11/14 - Q&A [7:30]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 12/14 - Q&A [9:39]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 13/14 - Q&A [5:29]

Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? 14/14 - Q&A [5:46]

—————————————————————————————-

BIOLA University: Craig vs. Avalos: The Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction? Audio-CD $15

BIOLA University: Dr. William Lane Craig

Reasonable Faith: The Resurrection of Jesus: Fact or Fiction?  Craig vs. Avalos  This is Dr. Craig’s web site.

Iowa State University: Hector Avalos

BibleGateway: Matthew 27 (New International Version)

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Richard Feynman says that trees come from air.

Feynman ‘Fun to Imagine’ 2: Fire

[ Edited: 27 September 2012 12:31 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Dr. Michio Kaku has a good call-in radio show.  It on-the-air in some cities, the web site lists them, Coast-to-Coast radio network.  People call-in with their physics questions and the Dr. is happy to answer.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

DOE: NEWTON Ask A Scientist looks like a good web site if you want to check-out or ask, or even answer some science questions.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 09 September 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  4621
Joined  2007-10-05
jump_in_the_pit - 09 September 2013 01:22 PM

Dr. Michio Kaku has a good call-in radio show.  It on-the-air in some cities, the web site lists them, Coast-to-Coast radio network.  People call-in with their physics questions and the Dr. is happy to answer.  smile

Seems appropriate to me that Michio Kaku is on Coast to Coast radio.  LOL

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 12 September 2013 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Isn’t Coast To Coast the show belonging to that kooky conspiracy theorist who never saw a conspiracy theory he couldn’t buy into?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 September 2013 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  4621
Joined  2007-10-05

That’s the show. Art Bell started the show. I’m not sure who hosts it now.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 13 September 2013 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2012-02-02
DarronS - 12 September 2013 05:46 AM

That’s the show. Art Bell started the show. I’m not sure who hosts it now.

George Noory, who, believe it or not, is good friends with SF author Jerry Pournelle. Pournelle claims to have asked Noory if he believed the stuff his guests were saying and Noory responded with, “I believe it when I’m on the air.”

3 of 3