1 of 2
Greetings from Zimbabwe!!!
Posted: 25 May 2010 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-05-25

Greeting Brothers and Sisters!
I’m a new member from Zimbabwe. I hope we are going to have a nice time together and I’m hoping to learn as much as possible from all of you. I also hope to enjoy your warm friendship and companionship.
Thank you!!!

Posted: 25 May 2010 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, AS. Glad to have you here from Zimbabwe. Please feel free to let us know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 May 2010 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Welcome, A_S.  As I understand it, there are problems in Zimbabwe with possible government acquisition of foreign own companies.  This must be causing some difficulties for many.  I hope you are not hurt by any of that.

Occam

Posted: 25 May 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome. Glad to have you here A. S.  I really don’t know a whole lot about Zimbabwe.  Maybe we could tell us about it, esp since two of us have asked.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 25 May 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

Indeed, welcome!

Hope to chat and learn something from you as well.

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-25

Thank you all for taking your time to welcome me…... @Occam and @Mriana, yes there are problems in Zimbabwe just like in most of the African countries. These post-colonial elites hoodwink a lot of the gullibe illiterate masses into believing that they will benefit from the so called “empowerment policies” yet they are just meant to further enrich the ruling classes. There is also this belief among many that foreign companies are there to “loot” without regard to the thousands of people they employ and so forth. I just hope that reason will prevail and my country will be free again and the rights of people will be respected as well as restoration of their civil liberties.

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

That is not only sad, but horrible.  :(

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

And such is the last 4 or 500 years of African history.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
Dead Monky - 26 May 2010 11:06 AM

And such is the last 4 or 500 years of African history.

Yes, quite true.  Even their own government sold their people out during the slave trade.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-25
Mriana - 26 May 2010 11:30 AM

Yes, quite true.  Even their own government sold their people out during the slave trade.

Well, yeah, but I cant say its an inherent trait in African people, No! Most of us are intellingent and well meaning but the problem is that of weak institutions, weak democratic values and of course the mighty overbearing power of the state. Some of you might remember that the prevoius government in my country was voted out of office and this was followed by state sanctioned brutality against the people and hundreds of innocent people were raped, maimed and killed for simply expressing their vote. Mugabe was even quoted saying in one of his rallies before his sham one man election “The x (meaning the vote) cannot be mightier than the bullet”. This is what African people are facing, Presidents sanctioning violence against their own people. However, we are not giving up the fight for democracy and respect for human rights. We are using peaceful means and they are painfully slow but will achieve results one day. If we try to fight using guns against mugabe and his henchmen my country will degenerate into another Somalia and that wont be good for humanity…...x

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Mriana, they didn’t see it as ‘selling their own’, they saw the separate tribes as being ‘other’, as much ‘other’ as they saw the Europeans. It continues today an example are the massacres between the Hutu and Tutsi tribes. The Spaniards killed the English. The Germans killed the French, the difference is that no one came from far far away to make it profitable to take the ‘others’ off their hands.

Zimbabwe used to be known as Rhodesia, after Sir Cecil Rhodes of the Rhodes Scholarship fame. Zimbabwe is rich in diamonds, but has a weak government.

[ Edited: 27 May 2010 12:48 AM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 May 2010 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 27 May 2010 12:46 AM

Mriana, they didn’t see it as ‘selling their own’, they saw the separate tribes as being ‘other’, as much ‘other’ as they saw the Europeans. It continues today an example are the massacres between the Hutu and Tutsi tribes. The Spaniards killed the English. The Germans killed the French, the difference is that no one came from far far away to make it profitable to take the ‘others’ off their hands.

Zimbabwe used to be known as Rhodesia, after Sir Cecil Rhodes of the Rhodes Scholarship fame. Zimbabwe is rich in diamonds, but has a weak government.

They may not have seen it that way, but that is what they did.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 27 May 2010 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 27 May 2010 09:09 AM

They may not have seen it that way, but that is what they did.

...in the same way the participants in the inter-European wars ‘killed their own’. The slave trade was horrific and continues in Africa to this day, I wish there was a solution that would bring it to an end.

[ Edited: 27 May 2010 12:51 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 May 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
asanta - 27 May 2010 12:48 PM

I wish there was a solution that would bring it to an end.

There is: time and natural selection.

Posted: 27 May 2010 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Unfortunately, George, we can’t assume that ethics, empathy, and humanitarian ideas are preferable traits for survival.  It may be that the reverse of them tend to be more successful characteristics for producing the next generation.

Occam

Posted: 27 May 2010 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Judging by the history of our species, Occam, that doesn’t seem to have been the selected trend for thousands of years now—except perhaps for a few isolated primitive societies where violent men still experience greater reproductive success.

1 of 2