1 of 12
Why do Tea Partiers love ‘Atlas Shrugged’?
Posted: 25 May 2010 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

Well folks I’m back from Colorado State Democratic Convention.
Woohoo, interesting experience, but I couldn’t put up with it regularly.  As some of you might guess I go mainly as an opportunity to do a little pamphleteering.  Unfortunately, once again I got wrapped around other projects I couldn’t extract myself from - so this Memes Courier was another rush project.  One side was all about Village at Wolf Creek, backside was two column, one on global warming - fortunately, I didn’t have to do anything original to get those together.  The other column was a one day original essay - so it’s probably due for some beating up -
What do you think. . .

Why do Tea Partiers love ‘Atlas Shrugged’?
& the need for Democrats to get out the vote.

Proponents of the Ayn Rand’s school of thought seem to be making great headway with the Tea Party crowd.  Seems that the image of the hero’s interests coming first, the public be damned, has become a rallying cry.  But, come on.  We live in a real physical world and there truly are limitations that if not respected and danced with will destroy us.

Tea Party believers march around in historic costumes, plagiarizing historic statements.  Never seeming to appreciate that these old time hero’s were carving out and subduing a huge overwhelming wilderness.  That world is gone, lost to the history books as time marches on.

How do we explain to Tea Partiers that we had the Exploration, then the Taming of The Wild West, then Homesteading and spreading our dominion over every acre of land in this country.  Corporations and greed came along as we saturated our once wide open and fantastic land. 

We can’t live by the battle cries of long dead people who had a wilderness to subdue!  Turning one’s back on a smooth running society will certainly doom us in the trying days ahead.

Today we are living in an overpopulated world, that is literally destroying the biological foundation of its own existence and Right Wing folks only dream of destroying a valid President’s tenure and selling their notions of me, me, me plus god, guns’n fear. 

Have you (dear voter) hear the NRA’s election campaign? “Trigger The Vote?”  Something very scary is in motion and every voting citizen who disagrees with those notions must take the trouble and time to vote this election.  Be all the cynical you want - This Is the only time your opinion, vote, is taken seriously, it does make a big difference who gets sent back to Washington.  Think its bad now?    What if Tea Partiers get into the government they want to destroy?

Some questions we might ask each Democratic voter: Is putting yourself first actually the most important rule?  How does supporting chaos prepare us for the incoming challenges barreling down on us and our kids? 

Do you believe society runs by more than just profitsüberalles?  Do you believe civility needs to be restored?  Do you fear what’s in the hearts of Tea Partiers?  Convince voters they owe it to their nation’s future to make the commitment to vote in this upcoming “off year” election.

There are probably much better questions you could come up with - please do, get the words out.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 25 May 2010 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2010-04-18

Doing my part:

Libertarians

Signature 

minigiggles

Posted: 25 May 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

My girlfriend’s dad is a libertarian.  While I agree with some of their social ideas—mostly the idea that drugs should be legal and people should be allowed to do pretty much whatever they want so long as it doesn’t harm anyone else—their economic policies terrify the crap out of me.  Laissez-faire capitalism?  No thank you.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 May 2010 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Tom Wood - 25 May 2010 01:05 PM

Doing my part:

Libertarians

well put

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 25 May 2010 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

First question: just how powerful/influential is the TP movement getting. Sure, they are getting press… but how much is hype and how much is reality?

Lastly, minigigles - that is brilliant! Have you done one climate sceptics?

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 25 May 2010 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Tom Wood - 25 May 2010 01:05 PM

Doing my part:

Libertarians

LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 May 2010 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3349
Joined  2007-11-21
Mike from Oz - 25 May 2010 11:14 PM

First question: just how powerful/influential is the TP movement getting. Sure, they are getting press… but how much is hype and how much is reality?

Nancy Pelosi says it’s astroturf.  No worries.

Posted: 26 May 2010 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2010-04-18

Glad everybody enjoyed the cartoon!

@Mike - Not yet on climate change, but it’s an issue I’ll get to.

Signature 

minigiggles

Posted: 26 May 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Mike from Oz - 25 May 2010 11:14 PM

Well the Republic Party is getting more extreme and disconnected from reality with every new political season. 
Guess the real answer to that question will be revealed this November, if good old liberals and rational minded folk don’t bother to vote because it’s just all too corrupt and beneath them - and the tea party does turn out in the droves you can be sure they will.  Then, we’ll find out what was and wasn’t hype.

The ultra-conservative, anti-government, god, guns’n fear agenda the tea partiers is pushing does have a chance to infiltrate and cause much mischief.

It all depends on what the folks that get out to actually vote decide - Freedom loving lefties you better wake up!

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

If you notice, CC, the Republicans are making big efforts to distance themselves from the Teabaggers and are even going so far as to sabotage the election campaigns of Teabagger backed politicians.  I think they’re starting to realize that most Americans aren’t all that in favor of the reactionary, ultra-Right, craziness.

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

good good, now lets see them trying to cooperate with the President and the Democrats a little
rather than continuing their little war then I’ll be impressed.
- as for the rest… second Tuesday in November we’ll see -

Incidentally want a great read (or listen as I did on my recent road trip): 
The Big Rich: The Rise and Fall of the Greatest Texas Oil Fortunes (Hardcover)
by Bryan Burrough

[ Edited: 26 May 2010 01:34 PM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 26 May 2010 09:28 AM

If you notice

Hey, that’s a funny story.

By MIKE BAKER, AP
RALEIGH, N.C. – Republican officials are working to derail the campaign of a tea party supported candidate in North Carolina — circulating documents from the man’s messy divorce that depict him as a pot smoker who has called himself the messiah.
It’s a risky move for state and national party leaders trying to harness the power of the tea party movement without letting it spin out of their control.

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Pretty good, huh?

But yeah, the Repubs are still being assholes.  Not that that’s a surprise or anything.

Personally, I’m going to vote Cthulhu

2012-presidential-candidacy-democrat-republican-cthulhu-dago-political-poster-1268928683.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Love it. Get Campus Crusade for Cthulhu involved.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 May 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-05-26

how many tea partiers actually have the attention span to get through atlas shrugged?

can’t… read… busy hating government…

Posted: 26 May 2010 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28
Dead Monky - 26 May 2010 09:48 AM

Pretty good, huh?

But yeah, the Repubs are still being assholes.  Not that that’s a surprise or anything.

Personally, I’m going to vote Cthulhu

2012-presidential-candidacy-democrat-republican-cthulhu-dago-political-poster-1268928683.jpg

Now there’s a party that represents my ideals.

More squid!

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

1 of 12