3 of 12
Why do Tea Partiers love ‘Atlas Shrugged’?
Posted: 28 May 2010 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

Yes Tom a culture war is just what we need.  But sadly it will develop into a race war.  I have a friend of many years who is open minded about color, race and until he found Limbaugh, he was open to both sides of the political aisle.  When Obama ran for President, my friend turned into racist against black Americans.  It puzzled me as he was the product of a Jewish Father from Italy and a Jewish mother from Germany.  They migrated to New Jersey and enjoyed a good life as Americans.  I would have bet my life on this man’s IQ but he fell into the Limbaugh sewer and never climbed out.  Years ago I asked him if he had read Ayn Rand and he said he didn’t read stuff like that. 

Rand warned me and millions of others of the evil of a one world order and when Bush 41 was pushing America into an Empire of power, I left the GOP and flooded the internet with reasons found in my own philosophy.  It shook me that the base of the Republican Party wanted a One World Power owned by America and formed for God.  How the hell can a well educated Jew ever want to see this power growth in the one nation that his family found freedom? 

I fear that the world and America are driven by ignorant television values that come with a laugh track.  Gotcha one-liners rule the world.  I tend to believe that we all will destroy our culture and we may have to start all over as single cells.  But we can at least write up our observations of the destruction with warnings about these ugly filthy fucking Gods who rule the brains of our species.  If we go up in flames, there goes the books.  Will we need to go back to the stones that will survive.  Are they any of us left who will even bother to get those warning signs to be found somewhere? 

I look to CFI for guidance on how we can cut though the crap that our genes endured and we can somehow be warned.  Our developed brains should never be controlled by any government or religion.  Going back to the beginning of developing brains must be warned…..

Posted: 28 May 2010 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
Sandy Price - 28 May 2010 04:19 AM

You cannot put her books into today’s society as the human species of this time are unable to understand right from wrong.  We are still hooked on right from left.

Sandy Price - 28 May 2010 07:09 AM

The only Victory America should ever sell is a victory over ignorance.  This has been the message from Rand since she wrote her first play in college.

So I guess, sort of like with Marx, what he/she actually wrote and what was actually done with his/her writings are two entirely different things?  (Although, Ayn spent a lot of time peddling her thoughts.)

On one level, sure its an interesting morality play - but then to try to fit that into a world way more complex
[and inter-dependent ! ] than anyone wants to admit to, is foolish.

As for the hated poor folks with their hands out.
Look at the reality of the economic base out their.
Their are fewer jobs, there are way too many people, and their are no new lands to conquer. 
And, yes, way too much willful ignorance!
If blaming the poor makes you feel better great, but its still bs - our crisis is much more fundamental than those poor folks brimming with entitlement fever.
And, it is absolutely NOT TRUE that anyone can pull themselves up by their boot straps in this (or any other) country.

It’s way past time to realize the stage society is playing upon is very different from the 1930’s, when despite the depression, our country and world was still burgeoning with natural resources, including fresh wide open land.  All that is gone and “Randism” belongs in the pews along with all the other great musings - irrelevant to the real challenges faces us in this brave new world we are entering.

Analytic - 27 May 2010 12:47 PM

I’m feeling faint from running in circles. sick

As much as I agree with most of your last post I must wonder what this feigned superiority is all about?  Why is it that every time some lefty treehugger wants to point out society is dependent upon the health of the biosphere it overflows contemporary comprehension…  or interest? . . .  or what?

[ Edited: 28 May 2010 10:53 AM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 28 May 2010 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Citizens challenge.  Rand lived her ideals as well as wrote about them.  I look at Rand’s writings as a strong warning sign of what all freedom-loving people should be aware of.  Marx had an ideal of one point of view and Rand, having lived under this communism, had another.  There were many free-thinkers back in the 1950s and 60s that tried to search for ideals that had been planted in their minds earlier. 

Economically, it would do you well to get some books on government intervention in general and congressional members being voted in to redistribute our wealth before you make any claims on the subject.  We have a two party Congress that get elected by ill-prepared voters and financed by lobbyists.  When the two parties had firm agendas and paid attention to the bills laid before them, we might have had regulations against corruption at a time that would have prevented our loss of manufacturing.  In 1992 Perot ran a campaign about this global government called NAFTA and GAAT.  The American voters laughed at his charts that showed the growth of deficits and debts.  Under Clinton and Bush our congress made billions by allowing the property owners to take out debts that would never be paid back.  Our economic world came crashing down and the money began to show its value.  Check out the value of the American dollar and how every time Congress prints money, our dollar goes down.

What is missing here is called “oversight” and with the billions of dollars coming into the pockets of our legislators, nobody had time to check an oversight.  If Rand had been involved in today’s government corruption, I can only imagine what her heroes would have to say.  I doubt she would never have the dialog to express her horror of what the American voters put in office every two years.  The voters are the problem.  A basic lack of knowing right over wrong is missing and we elect pro-lifers and people who reject evolution. We elect a level of hypocrisy that would have thrown Ms Rand into a straight jacket. 

Our culture is television, commercials and televangelists like Beck, Palin, and O’Reilly.

Posted: 28 May 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

CC how much government do you want to direct your life?  Do you need to be told what not to do?  Do you need to be shown where our government got side-tracted by greedy members of congress?  Every damn problem we have today including Katrina and the oil spill could be blamed by people in congress too busy screwing around with each other to take a look at these areas before the disasters.  I remember reading about the dikes in New Orleans and how they were eroding.  Hell that was back during Carter’s administration.  Somehow I get the impression that New Orleans lived exactly as they wanted and if 30 thousand people were killed or left homeless, it would have to be the responsibility of the next White House.  I remember an oil spill in Santa Barbara that was blamed on faulty equipment.  We had another near Carmel and a big one in Alaska.  We are still allowing wells to be dug in deep water in the Gulf of Mexico.  Where were the voters in these areas when the next election came up?  My bet is that they were watching Oprah and Lucy.  They were buying expensive homes and cars while watching their kids who could not read. 

Living in a free world take a ton of work.  Sitting back and waiting for a welfare check when the people you elected are bopping their interns.  Republicans and Democrats are not to be trusted with the power of the government.  If you want to read a real eyeopener get a copy of “The Smartest Guys in the Room” by McLean and Elkind.  This is the story of Enron and the crap they allowed to happen to America.  It also shows the balless Bush Administration.  Where was the oversight from the Congress?  Read a book called “C” Street and learn about the whorehouse owned by the Republican Senate. 

Our government destroyed our manufacturing and production.  When things got itchy they found a way to declare war for a great diversion.  If there ever was a time we needed an ideal American hero it is NOW and I mean May 28th, 2010.

Posted: 28 May 2010 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

Sandy, interestingly I pretty much agreed with everything you said in the past two posts and many of your other comments.
But, there’s this hollyworld disconnect in there somewhere.  You say.

If there ever was a time we needed an ideal American hero it is NOW and I mean May 28th, 2010.

And what is he going to accomplish or teach us?
Earlier you say:

What is missing here is called “oversight” and with the billions of dollars coming into the pockets of our legislators, nobody had time to check on oversight.

But, Who’s going to oversight What when the predominate mentality going through the entire column of interested people is this principle of maximizing personal profits and shrugging off all liabilities ?

Before that you say

“Rand lived her ideals as well as wrote about them.”

Seems from what I’ve read Rand managed to gain an awful lot from a few rich benefactors,
it always helps with the lofty thinking to have one’s butt covered by someone else’s riches.

~ ~ ~
So I am still left with the core of my bitch left untouched:
Why is it that every time some lefty treehugger wants to point out society is dependent upon the health of the biosphere it overflows the general comprehension…  or interest? . . .  or what?

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 28 May 2010 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Sandy Price - 28 May 2010 08:46 AM

Our government destroyed our manufacturing and production. 

Care to explain this one?

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-18

Rand was a bit promiscuous - to put it delicately.

But sale of her books, and their being made into movies, was all that was necessary to support HERSELF in the style she had earned for herself ... (!)

She was nothing if not consistent.

Posted: 28 May 2010 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

if you say so, but that still doesn’t make her musings “correct”

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2010 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Starting in 2007, America wanted a leader who could be trusted.  The choices of leadership in the GOP remained weak and full of hypocrisies.  Many had hoped that Obama was as he claimed to be.  His presentation of his campaign was loaded with dignity.  He saw through the mess that Bush had caused.  Many of us felt sorry for anyone who would dare to take on the religious monstrosity of the GOP but Obama seemed to relish the fight.  I had hoped that whatever the GOP threw at him, would not stick and most of it has not.  I had wanted a promise to get our corporations back from exile by allowing them to build their products again.  Most of us saw our own investments die from the pressure the government put on the manufacturing corporations and the labor unions costing the companies their profits.  No one will invest in any manufacturing corporation that does not make a profit.  The government has continued to pressure the corporations to mandate insurance policies that eat into trying to manufacture anything in America.  Naturally these corporation will move to countries where they can make a profit.  Sadly many products suffered from poor workmanship so American products simply stopped being made. 

I wanted Obama to bring home the manuacturing plants and work out some changes that would keep our products rated high and worth the money.  He could not find a way to do this.  I don’t know anyone who can.  I had hoped that the new administration would take on the borders and immigration laws that have been ignored for too many years.  He cound not find a way to do this.  I wanted a man big enough to see the problems we face in Afghanistan and Iraq but apparently no one in the Administration had time to do this.  Obama is simply following the same worthless plans that the Bush Administration put into play. 

We have a political party of idiots who want America declared a Christian Nation and they continue to pick apart every single action that Obama as presented.  Where is the ideal question of “what would you do in place of Obama’s actions?”  I want an ideal man who can solve the many problems that the GOP and the Democrats have thrown at us.  A man who has taken the time to undo the mess we find on Wall Street and in the many banks who used our money against failing investments.  An ideal man would throw these bastards in prison. 

An ideal man like Howard Roark who would rather burn down a project than have his name attacked to changes that he did not design. Even a late bloomer like Hank Rearden who had to be destroyed by the system before he would stand against it.  These men knew right from wrong and never wavered in their actions.  If we had a man of such strength show his face in America, who would be the first to throw stones at him?  The trap has been set in America for decades to weed out any man or woman who wants a change in the system.  Anyone running for office must be independently wealthy and a confirmed Christian and the ability to lie convincingly. 

Since the opening of the internet, millions of people search for the dirty actions in our politician’s lives.  Even in the discussion of Rand, somehow learning of her fling with Brandon was enough to step on her writings.  I remember stepping over the Kennedy Brothers at Lady Lawford’s house on the beach when the boys were bopping lovely starlets why their wives were home tending to the next generation.  We all saw this but what business was it of ours to throw dirt on the President and the Attorney General?  They were both murdered at in their early years, and what difference did a little sex in the sand have to do with anything? 

I guess our ideal man will have to be castrated before we can consider voting for him.  Americans need to grow up and understand the rarity of anyone understanding right from wrong.  Can we even imagine a man swearing to take an oath to protect the Constitution?  Men in America today have no problem lying with a hand on the bible because we are all sinners and God expects nothing more.

Posted: 28 May 2010 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Analytic - 28 May 2010 10:53 AM

Rand was a bit promiscuous - to put it delicately.

Funny, I get the feeling that if she were a man, it wouldn’t be an issue. Her sexual history has nothing to do with the validity of her views.

She was nothing if not consistent.

I can say the same for you. long face

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 May 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2010-05-18

I’ve been an “objectivist” even before she was able to make her philosophy understandable to the “meanest intelligence”.

She is an icon to me. If you’d read my comments with modest comprehension, you might have noticed that.

Posted: 28 May 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Analytic - 28 May 2010 03:26 PM

I’ve been an “objectivist” even before she was able to make her philosophy understandable to the “meanest intelligence”.

She is an icon to me. If you’d read my comments with modest comprehension, you might have noticed that.

And still you commented on her sexuality…. hmmm

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 29 May 2010 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2010-05-18

Ayn Rand led her life, unfettered by anyone else - including harridanish wags - as she pleased.

Commenting on her “promiscuity” was meant to convey my approval. grin

Period.

Posted: 29 May 2010 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Analytic, One day many years ago, I was driving throught Chatsworth in the San Fernanco Valley and saw a lovely home set back from the street and the remarkable Ms. Rand was checking on her roses. She and her husband had bought into a nursery in the area where I had a friend who lived nearby.  I stopped dead, pulled over and had to speak to my hero of the books in my collection.  I had heard her speak at the Shrine Auditorium a few weeks before and knew how she looked in person.  We talked for a few minutes and her husband came out to greet his wife’s friends.  Frank O’Conner had been an actor in Hollywood before they married and he was a very handsome man even in the mid 60s.  He knew his roses and showed us around for a short time. 

I wish you had known this side of Ms Rand.  Her history with DeMille and her knowledge of the old testament brought her to Demille’s attention and she worked as an advisor on many of his epic biblical movies.  I saw her as an incredible individual who just happened to have written some of the greatest prose of our time.  I shook her hand and will never forget her kindness in greeting me and my daughter that lovely day. 

My roots along with my mother’s family were in Hollywood.  Mother worked as a musician and my grandmother raised thoroughbreds along with half of Hollywood.  I attended a private school along with the daughters of DeMille, Capra and hundreds of actors of the day.  I am not normally impressed with Studio people but I was impressed with Ayn Rand and her handsome husband. 

Several years ago I tried to bring a true story about the love affair between Clara Schumann and Johannes Brahms.  I did lot of research on this and even looked into Clara’s husband who was in an insane hospital I wanted to bring the story up to date with different names but to show the love between the Schumanns.  Brahms never had a shot and he never got over it.  I was going to use Studio musicians enjoying the fame of being winners of many awards.  I wanted to use the Motion Picture Country Home for Robert Schumann and I got through an outline of their history and fame and the growing love for Clara that managed to become an obsession. 

I learned the hardway that I had no background in this kind of obsessive love.  Emotionally I didn’t have the background to describe the horror of the situation.  I even thought about trying to have a deep affair to gather dialog and it seemed too much trouble and my unfinished book is still in shreds.  Could Ayn Rand have needed a little hands on for any of her characters?  It is not mine to judge.  I’m way too old to even remember my lovers.

Posted: 31 May 2010 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2010-05-18

Sandy Price,

I enjoy reading your Posts especially of your relevant experiences.

However, I must humbly state that unlike you ... “I’m way too old to even remember my lovers” ... I have deliberately
pushed a goodly number of so-called “lovers” into the deepest recesses of my brain. grin

Unfortunately, I have never even met an Ayn Rand “objectivist”-type, especially not within the hallowed halls of Ivy.

And, incredibly, not within the hard sciences. Too many “go alongs” to “get along”.

Too few “skeptical inquirers”, and so little time ... to waste. shut eye
——————————————————————
Although not romantically inclined to males, many - in and out of academia - have been no exception!

3 of 12