1 of 11
Time
Posted: 26 May 2010 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15304
Joined  2006-02-14

Interesting podcast from the New York Academy of Sciences HERE on the illusory nature of time. This jibes with a good deal of our discussion in the philosophy thread HERE. It’s a discussion with physicist Brian Greene and screenwriter Charlie Kaufman. Fortunately Kaufman largely gets out of the way and lets Brian talk about the physics.

I debated whether or not to include this in the above thread, but as a philosophy talk it’s pretty poor, so I’d take their philosophizing (about science, existence, etc.) with very large grains of salt. The stuff about time on the other hand is absolutely correct, at least as I’d been taught it in the past. In particular, the notion of “now” is relative to one’s reference frame, so all times in the universe are equally “now”, so really the universe is best understood as a single four-dimensional spacetime manifold. The movement of time is an illusion, corresponding to nothing in physical reality.

Needless to say, this is mind bending stuff.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 May 2010 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9281
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 26 May 2010 07:00 AM

Needless to say, this is mind bending stuff.

Indeed. I just finished reading Sean Carroll’s From Eternity to Here, The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time, and let’s say I am glad I somehow got through it and maintained my sanity at the same time.

Thanks for the link, Doug.

Posted: 26 May 2010 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I am very scared to discuss this topic, but there are a few things I have had on my mind now for some time, so I’ll give it a try.

Assuming that the theory of “Block Universe” is correct, I thought of an analogy of a motion picture (our universe being such a picture with endless number of frames) and came to realize that our minds, our conscious minds, seem to be playing the part of the viewer of that motion picture. It is only when we remember the past, feel the present, and have the ability to calculate the future that the whole thing, our universe, seems to be now in motion, creating the illusion of time. Does this make any sense?

[ Edited: 26 May 2010 07:58 AM by George ]

Posted: 26 May 2010 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

FWIW I was taught the correct term for “block universe” was “four-dimensional spacetime manifold”. Or just “the manifold” for short.

As to where the illusion of the passage of time comes from, Hmmmm .....

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Okay, finished listening to the podcast and I feel the same way as when I finished Carroll’s book: it was fun, but I am happy it’s over now.  grin

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

God I hate philosophy.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Dead Monky - 26 May 2010 09:35 AM

God I hate philosophy.

Anything in particular? Or just thinking carefully? This was a podcast about physics, FWIW ...

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 26 May 2010 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

This was a podcast about physics, FWIW ...

Yeah, I know.  It just got me thinking is all.  Philosophy is one those things that bothers me because people always seem to make it way more complicated and pretentious than it needs to be.  It seems like once a philosophy discussion gets going it inevitably devolves into a contest to see who can quote the most obscure dead guy or pull out the most obtuse and arcane wordage.  And people never seem to use their own ideas.  Just quotes and ideas taken from the musings of other people.  It’s never, “I thought this…..”  Always, “But So-And-So postulated this…..”  Just my observations.

I edited a couple typos.

[ Edited: 26 May 2010 10:37 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I don’t hate philosophy, but it does make my head spin when I try to delve into it. As far as time is concerned, I have had that argument with friends and coworkers before, and they don’t believe me. They are stuck in a world where time has an assigned meaning, and can’t imagine it being any other way. It was a BIG argument when 2000 rolled around. Even our weeks, minutes, seconds only work if they are universally agreed upon. Other societies use our calendar, because the western world has the money, and you have to spend your dime on our time!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-12-20

The stuff about time on the other hand is absolutely correct, at least as I’d been taught it in the past. In particular, the notion of “now” is relative to one’s reference frame, so all times in the universe are equally “now”, so really the universe is best understood as a single four-dimensional spacetime manifold.

Similar question from me as on the supertask thread (hope that’s ok).

Why do we have a frame of reference at all? And why is it what we consider to be now, rather than some other time within our lifetimes?

Stephen

Posted: 26 May 2010 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
StephenLawrence - 26 May 2010 02:33 PM

Why do we have a frame of reference at all?

I don’t understand the question. It’s like asking, “Why am I someplace rather than no place?” If you were no place, you wouldn’t be asking the question. In fact, you wouldn’t exist at all. In order to exist, you have to exist within some frame of reference or other. You have to exist at some place and time. (And in some state of motion w/r/t the rest of the universe, etc.)

And why is it what we consider to be now, rather than some other time within our lifetimes?

I also don’t understand that question. Every time is considered to be now during our lifetimes.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 26 May 2010 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

The stuff about time on the other hand is absolutely correct, at least as I’d been taught it in the past. In particular, the notion of “now” is relative to one’s reference frame, so all times in the universe are equally “now”, so really the universe is best understood as a single four-dimensional spacetime manifold.

Similar question from me as on the supertask thread (hope that’s ok).

Why do we have a frame of reference at all? And why is it what we consider to be now, rather than some other time within our lifetimes?

Stephen

erggh I knew the thread would be hijacked by philosophers…. LOL

Posted: 26 May 2010 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

Interesting podcast from the New York Academy of Sciences HERE on the illusory nature of time.

Thanks Doug will listen to it this weekend (which will seem too short)

Posted: 26 May 2010 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Stephen, because life is immensely easier when you have measurements that everyone can agree upon..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 May 2010 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2006-08-28

I LOVE this subject.  grin  I’ve got the following podcasts about time on my mp3 player:

In Search of Time (Leonard Lopate Show)
Time (Radio Lab)
Beyond Time (Radio Lab)
Why Does Time Fly By As You Get Older? (NPR)
Time, Space, and Other Big Questions (Science Friday)

btw, Sean Carroll is the guest on the last podcast. In “Beyond Time” an eccentric artist named David McDermott doesn’t believe in the present. Instead, he chooses to live in the past. I don’t quite get his philosophy, though.

And in one of these shows it’s mentioned that Einstein said that time is an illusion, that the past, present, and future are all happening at once. I think this is how physicist Brian Greene thinks about time, as well. (He’s discusses the subject on Radio Lab’s “Time” episode.)

I honestly can’t define what time is. That’s why I love this quote:

Time is the cable that pulls the cable car. Life is the cable car itself. I think it was attributed to J.T. Fraser (“Time the Familiar Stranger”) but I’m not sure.

I have such a fetish for watches but I think it’s more about aesthetics than my fascination with the subject of time.

Anyway, thanks dougsmith for posting the link. I’ve already downloaded it.

[ Edited: 26 May 2010 06:29 PM by T. Ruth ]
 Signature 

Fiction is fun, but facts are fundamental.

Posted: 26 May 2010 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Jackson - 26 May 2010 04:08 PM

(which will seem too short)

Try to move faster, Jackson. You know, the faster you move the slower time travels and the more you’ll get out of your weekend.  cheese

1 of 11