1 of 7
Oil Spill
Posted: 31 May 2010 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Would you book a summer vacation in the Caribbean?

Posted: 31 May 2010 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Sure.  Why not?  I’ve always wondered what it would be like to swim in toxic, high viscosity chemicals.  Might be fun.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 31 May 2010 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 31 May 2010 12:15 PM

Would you book a summer vacation in the Caribbean?

Too hot, so no.

But I would book a spring break next year ... grin

(I’d probably avoid Florda, Cuba and the Bahamas though ...)

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 31 May 2010 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

If anyone finds a better tracking map of the oil spill than THIS ONE please let me know. Thanks.

Posted: 06 June 2010 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 31 May 2010 12:17 PM

Sure.  Why not?  I’ve always wondered what it would be like to swim in toxic, high viscosity chemicals.  Might be fun.

Just don’t forget your:  3M™ Dual Cartridge Respirator Assembly 53P71, Organic Vapor/P95, Large 12/Case
When properly fitted, helps provide respiratory protection from certain organic vapors and particulates at concentrations up to 10 times the Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL).

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 06 June 2010 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

It’s not too hot for me, but what good is a vacation to some place like that if you can’t even swim in the water?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 07 June 2010 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Just don’t forget your:  3M™ Dual Cartridge Respirator Assembly 53P71, Organic Vapor/P95, Large 12/Case

Thanks for reminding me.

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2010 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 07 June 2010 11:08 AM

Thanks for reminding me.

Just remember you got to be clean shaven, for full effectiveness   cheese

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 07 June 2010 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Whenever I had to wear a respirator or air filter mask, I’d rub some Vaseline on my beard so any particles that snuck through around the edges had a good chance of being caught in the hairs.  The other thing was to use some wide masking tape around the edges to get beyond the beard.  One caveat - don’t use duct tape.  I did that just once and had a miserable time separating it from the beard hairs.

Occam

Posted: 07 June 2010 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Occam - 07 June 2010 04:16 PM

Whenever I had to wear a respirator or air filter mask, I’d rub some Vaseline on my beard so any particles that snuck through around the edges had a good chance of being caught in the hairs.  The other thing was to use some wide masking tape around the edges to get beyond the beard.  One caveat - don’t use duct tape.  I did that just once and had a miserable time separating it from the beard hairs.

Occam

Wow, never heard of that but it makes sense.
Heck, if you’re dealing with really ugly stuff Vaseline on clean shaven skin sounds like a good idea too.  Occasionally I’ve slathered my hands with Vaseline before doing concrete work and it really makes a difference… and the times I haven’t I’ve kicked myself for it.
Thanks.

Another example of how learning something new can be painless, if not a fun experience.
Now, why can’t the RightWingers figure that out?
  cheese

ps. the proper tape for the proper job

Signature 

Posted: 08 June 2010 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I don’t know if I could bring myself to smear Vaseline on my face followed by a respirator.  I’d feel like I was preparing for something kinky.  You know, on second thought, that might be fun…...

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2010 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 31 May 2010 12:17 PM

What about the Dominican Republic? That should stay unaffected, no? Would the current push the oil up along the east coast of Florida instead of continuing east toward Haiti?

Posted: 10 June 2010 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15400
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 10 June 2010 09:10 AM
dougsmith - 31 May 2010 12:17 PM

What about the Dominican Republic? That should stay unaffected, no? Would the current push the oil up along the east coast of Florida instead of continuing east toward Haiti?

Don’t know enough, but there are likely to be chaotic forces at work as well ... I believe, as I say, that the worst concerns are with Florida, Cuba and the Bahamas. (Though perhaps someone knows better).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 June 2010 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

If you want a outstanding insider look at the oil spill and the subsurface plumes check out this blog by PhD. Samantha Joye:
http://gulfblog.uga.edu/

The Background

A team of University of Georgia marine scientists is conducting research on the huge underwater oil plume that was discovered in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion.  Throughout a two-week cruise in the Gulf of Mexico, they are posting regular updates and photos to this blog.

The team now on board the R/V F.G. Walton Smith is led by Samantha Joye, UGA professor of marine sciences, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences. Joye was a member of the NOAA-supported expedition that discovered the deepwater plumes thousands of feet below the surface in the Gulf of Mexico, about two weeks ago.

The group sailed from Gulfport, Miss., on Tuesday, May 25, on a scientific mission to characterize and visualize the largest of the underwater oil plumes, estimated to be more than 15 miles long, 5 miles wide and some 300 feet thick at depths ranging from approximately 2,300 feet to 4,200 feet. This plume is currently located to the south/southwest of the Deepwater Horizon site.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
George - 10 June 2010 09:10 AM

Well, how soon will the leaks be stopped?
How many hurricanes are going to roar through the Gulf of Mexico and what will their paths be.
You know hurricanes act a little like straws sucking deep water to the surface and mixing it up.
Along with a couple dozen other question.

But consider this

Gulf oil spill not a danger to Jersey Shore, says N.J. DEP chief “
But Bob Martin has team monitoring the slick’s course.

While it is highly improbable the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico will have any effect on the Jersey Shore or the state’s fishing industry, the state Department of Environmental Protection is taking precautions.

I guess the reality is we are all playing in the same bathtub   red face

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2010 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
citizenschallenge - 10 June 2010 10:51 AM

If you want a outstanding insider look at the oil spill and the subsurface plumes check out this blog by PhD. Samantha Joye:
http://gulfblog.uga.edu/

The Background

A team of University of Georgia marine scientists is conducting research on the huge underwater oil plume that was discovered in the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion.  Throughout a two-week cruise in the Gulf of Mexico, they are posting regular updates and photos to this blog.

The team now on board the R/V F.G. Walton Smith is led by Samantha Joye, UGA professor of marine sciences, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences. Joye was a member of the NOAA-supported expedition that discovered the deepwater plumes thousands of feet below the surface in the Gulf of Mexico, about two weeks ago.

The group sailed from Gulfport, Miss., on Tuesday, May 25, on a scientific mission to characterize and visualize the largest of the underwater oil plumes, estimated to be more than 15 miles long, 5 miles wide and some 300 feet thick at depths ranging from approximately 2,300 feet to 4,200 feet. This plume is currently located to the south/southwest of the Deepwater Horizon site.

So can I book a vacation to Punta Cana?  smile (If I won’t go to the beach* I’ll be very grumpy for the rest of the year and I will bring up free will and genetic determinism at our forum at every chance I’ll get.  mad )

* Has to be a Spanish-speaking island. I need a break from English.

1 of 7