2 of 7
Oil Spill
Posted: 10 June 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
George - 10 June 2010 11:04 AM

So can I book a vacation to Punta Cana?  smile (If I won’t go to the beach* I’ll be very grumpy for the rest of the year and I will bring up free will and genetic determinism at our forum at every chance I’ll get.  mad )

* Has to be a Spanish-speaking island. I need a break from English.

Just remember your respirator   grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just looked up Punta Cana D.R. on Google Earth, if I had the time and knew where to go, I’d be tempted to check ocean and current charts.  Good choice it is nice and sort of at the headwaters, so to speak.  But, don’t hurricanes hit that beach head on?  I can tell you’re a guy that’s always thinking.  good luck.
Need a carpenter, or cook or steward or roustabout…..
  wink  LOL

[ Edited: 10 June 2010 11:20 AM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 10 June 2010 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

So can I book a vacation to Punta Cana?  smile (If I won’t go to the beach* I’ll be very grumpy for the rest of the year and I will bring up free will and genetic determinism at our forum at every chance I’ll get.  mad )

What about Cozumel? It’s gorgeous.

smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 10 June 2010 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
George - 31 May 2010 01:47 PM

If anyone finds a better tracking map of the oil spill than THIS ONE please let me know. Thanks.

Are you familiar with the stuff over at Skidaway Institute of Oceanography?
http://www.skio.usg.edu/?p=news/showarticle&n=128

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 10 June 2010 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  9282
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 10 June 2010 11:17 AM

What about Cozumel? It’s gorgeous.

smile

Yes, I have been to Cozumel and I really liked it. The problem is that my wife doesn’t think Mexico is safe; I don’t think we would be in any danger from the Mexican drug war in Cozumel, but, well, what can I say? And Yucatan seems awfully close to the oil spill anyway.

But I’ve heard Costa Rica is supposed to be beautiful…

Posted: 10 June 2010 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
citizenschallenge - 10 June 2010 11:26 AM
George - 31 May 2010 01:47 PM

If anyone finds a better tracking map of the oil spill than THIS ONE please let me know. Thanks.

Are you familiar with the stuff over at Skidaway Institute of Oceanography?
http://www.skio.usg.edu/?p=news/showarticle&n=128

No. I’ll check it out. Thanks.

Posted: 10 June 2010 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
citizenschallenge - 10 June 2010 11:10 AM

But, don’t hurricanes hit that beach head on?

What can I say? If I decide to go, I’ll let you know, guys, and you can all pray for me (or at least sacrifice a goat) so that I don’t end up in the middle of a hurricane, soaked in oil, with an earthquake or two on top of it all. As Hitchens would say, “Some design…”  wink

Posted: 10 June 2010 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
George - 10 June 2010 12:55 PM

(or at least sacrifice a goat)

Yea! if we can feast on it too, with lots of red wine, perhaps some young maidens dancing around the fire.
Sure, we’ll party, er pray for you   tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2010 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

Meanwhile, back at the ranch. . .

In general, I’ve been disappointed (at times enraged) in NPR’s flaccid news coverage these past years, their business reporting goes from worthless to delusional and their political reporting too often resembles sports coverage rather than a serious attempt at teaching the issues.
However, NPR’s excellent BP oil spill coverage is an indication that within the bowels of NPR news there might be something healthy afoot.  Hopefully, this spirit of journalism will start to reinfect their business and political coverage.  With that rant out of the way here are a couple segments I’d like to share and recommend. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127817681
Where Were Oil Watchdogs?
by Brian Mann
June 13, 2010
In the wake of the massive spill in the Gulf and the death of 11 workers, the federal government has taken a lot of heat for not keeping a close-enough eye on the offshore oil industry. But where were the other watchdog groups—environmentalists, labor groups, journalists and academics—that often monitor U.S. industries?
Some activists say they should have done more to scrutinize and blow the whistle on BP’s practices.

Although the question is why do so few people in general take this stuff seriously. . . be they business, government, enviro groups, and just as bad as the failure of all those folks is the failure of citizens to be concerned about pursuing our oil exploration smartly, rather than continuing this mad binge rush. 
What good is a Democracy if most citizens ignore the exercising of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then, here is a heart rending story.  Think about it and consider what our ProfitÜberAlles “free” market mentality is bringing us.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127747890
Gas Station Owners Pay The Price For BP Affiliation
by Yuki Noguchi

June 14, 2010
Five years ago, the chance to buy a gas station and a busy repair shop from BP seemed like an opportunity for Jose and Betty Camacho…

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2010 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  2282
Joined  2007-07-05

This business about the dead battery is what really pisses me off.

Desperate rig workers tried to activate a set of hydraulic cutoff valves known as a blowout preventer to squeeze off the surge. However, hydraulic fluid was leaking from a loose fitting in the preventer’s emergency system, making it harder to activate powerful shear rams to cut the piping and cap the blowout. Also, a battery had gone dead in at least one of two control pods meant to automatically switch on the preventer in an emergency.

As cheap as electronics is these days they can’t have an alarm system to tell them when a battery is dead if not some time before it completely dies.  How long was it dead for?  Months?

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 15 June 2010 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Is Obama unwilling or unable to stop the oils leak? I really can’t tell which one it is. Why will it take weeks for the ships to get there to start capturing 90% of the oil?

Posted: 15 June 2010 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4142
Joined  2008-08-14
George - 15 June 2010 07:34 PM

Is Obama unwilling or unable to stop the oils leak? I really can’t tell which one it is. Why will it take weeks for the ships to get there to start capturing 90% of the oil?

It is true George that Obama has magical powers to stop the leak, but I believe he is unwilling to use them.
Who say ships can capture 90% of the oil?
The only way to lessen that leak is to drill relief wells. That will take months at least, and it will only take pressure off the wellhead that’s leaking. The leak will stop when the well runs dry. There is absolutely no technology to go down to the bottom and plug the leak. They tried that feebly at first…
I say let it leak…let the Planet Burn! We can all suffocate in the Petroleum Morass we have created and are addicted to.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 15 June 2010 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Seems to me that Obama’s (and other politicians’) magical power consist of knowing how to get elected. But maybe you’re right, maybe they should just let it leak until it runs dry. I mean, how much more oil can there be left? According to another brilliant US president, Jimmy Carter, there shouldn’t be much oil left anyway:

“We could use up all the proven reserves of oil in the entire world by the end of the next decade.” (He said this in 1970’s.)

Ah, politicians.

Posted: 17 June 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  2282
Joined  2007-07-05
George - 15 June 2010 07:59 PM

“We could use up all the proven reserves of oil in the entire world by the end of the next decade.” (He said this in 1970’s.)

Ah, politicians.

What were the PROVEN RESERVES at the time?

There are lots of people saying that various countries are lying about how much they have left now.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0419-08.htm

How do you form a valid opinion when you don’t know when you are being lied to?

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 17 June 2010 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
psikeyhackr - 17 June 2010 11:10 AM

How do you form a valid opinion when you don’t know when you are being lied to?

You don’t.

Posted: 22 June 2010 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

The Obama administration issued a moratorium on deep water drilling off the Gulf of Mexico. U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman, overturned the ban, stating the government had no right to stop the drilling. Guess where the judge has a large portion of his stock? Guess, I dare ya!!

Feldman’s financial disclosure report for 2008, the most recent available, shows holdings in at least eight petroleum companies or funds that invest in them, including Transocean Ltd., which owned the Deepwater Horizon. The report shows that most of his holdings were valued at less than $15,000; it did not provide specific amounts.

Conflict of interest is wide spread in the gulf states….

Thirty-seven of the 64 active or senior judges in key Gulf Coast districts in Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi and Florida have links to oil, gas and related energy industries, including some who own stocks or bonds in BP PLC, Halliburton or Transocean, according to the Associated Press. Industry ties among federal judges are so widespread that they are jeopardizing the courts’ ability to do routine business. Last month, for instance, so many members of the staunchly conservative Fifth Circuit were forced to excuse themselves from an appeal against various energy companies because there weren’t enough untainted judges left to allow the court to hear the case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/judge-who-lifted-moratori_n_621501.html

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

2 of 7