3 of 7
Oil Spill
Posted: 23 June 2010 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

Corruption?  Of judges?  In the government?  By corporations with a vested interest in the decisions?  Get out of here.  I refuse to believe it.

Really though, this is hardly a new trend.  Those with a vested interest in the results of a court’s decision have probably been buying judges since judges first existed.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 June 2010 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

June 24, 2010 NPR’s Fresh Air
does it again with a very informative interview discussing the mechanics of deep sea drilling.  Well worth the forty minutes you’ll spend listening to it.

Science reporter Henry Fountain has been covering the environmental disaster for The New York Times. In an interview with Fresh Air’s Dave Davies, Fountain explains how deep-water drilling works thousands of feet below sea level and what may have gone wrong on the Deepwater Horizon…

... “And the problem is, is that the easy oil has basically been gotten: the oil from land, the oil from shallow offshore wells. So going forward, we’re going to have more of these wells drilled in extreme conditions. So, in a way, there’s potential for more disaster in the future, and it seems to me that if there were ever an argument for pursuing alternative energies, the argument is being made now — in a pretty hard way, but it’s being made.”

[ Edited: 30 June 2010 06:04 PM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 30 June 2010 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

June 30, 2010

Terry Gross at NPR’s Fresh Air does it again with a sadly fascinating double header:
Michael Klare: Grappling With The Age Of ‘Tough Oil’
[27 min 34 sec]
Klare has written several books about the oil industry. Blood and Oil examined America’s dependence on foreign sources, and his latest, Rising Powers, Shrinking Planet, focuses on the geopolitical problems countries face if they don’t find alternative energy resources.
He sees America entering a new era: one of “tough oil.”

How Endangered Species Are Faring In The Gulf
[17 min 2 sec]
Inkley is the National Wildlife Federation’s senior scientist. He researches the impact of climate change on fish and wildlife. He was the lead author of the 2004 report “Global Climate Change and Wildlife in North America.”

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 03 July 2010 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2008-08-09

And the beat goes on click:

Oil Predicted To Hit Florida’s Atlantic Coast, Not Gulf

by Richard Harris ~ July 2, 2010 ~ NPR

The federal government has issued its first long-term forecast for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. It projects where the oil will go during the summer, based on Gulf currents over the past 15 years. The report finds oil is much more likely to wash ashore on Florida’s Atlantic coast than it is on the state’s Gulf coast south of Tampa. . .

Signature 

Posted: 15 July 2010 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

They did it: the oil has stopped to leak!  grin  grin  grin

Posted: 15 July 2010 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 15 July 2010 01:16 PM

They did it: the oil has stopped to leak!  grin  grin  grin

I just read that myself! It looks like the pipe is holding. I wonder how many millions go barrels of oil finally spilled into the gulf waters?
Now the battle for the clean-up begins…
Onward LAWYERS!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 July 2010 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Let’s hope it will hold.  Too many people have lost their livelihoods and all, as well as too many animals have died and marshes destroyed.  :(  It’s getting old and BP was completely incompetent with everything.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 July 2010 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03
Mriana - 15 July 2010 04:36 PM

BP was completely incompetent with everything.

Bold claim, please elaborate. Didn’t they fix it, or so for now? wink

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 15 July 2010 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

IMHO, they should have prevented it in the first place, but short of that, why couldn’t they have done this sooner?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 July 2010 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Mriana - 15 July 2010 06:47 PM

IMHO, they should have prevented it in the first place, but short of that, why couldn’t they have done this sooner?

Supposedly they started to work on the stacking cap right after the explosion and it has taken them this long to build it. Don’t forget, Mriana, the complexity of this problem. What I don’t understand is why they couldn’t start collecting the oil on the sea surface right after the explosion.

Let’s hope the cap holds and the cleaning process begins soon.

Posted: 15 July 2010 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

That is true. Why didn’t they collect it immediately?

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 15 July 2010 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 15 July 2010 06:47 PM

They never had an emergency plan. They assumed nothing would ever happen, or that their liability would be limited. The problem wasn’t just putting on the cap, they weren’t even sure about the integrity of the pipe. They didn’t know if it was in one whole piece below the surface of the ocean, or if it was too damaged to take the added pressure caused by capping off the leak. That is why they had to shut it off incrementally, to avoid causing further damage. As for skimming the oil off the top, I don’t know, they were burning it for a while until it became clear the burning was causing more damage to the sea life than the oil…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 July 2010 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

That is another reason why I say they are incompetent.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 15 July 2010 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 15 July 2010 08:06 PM

That is another reason why I say they are incompetent.

No disagreement there. They were clearly drilling outside of their technological limits…and got into trouble.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2010 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

No disagreement there. They were clearly drilling outside of their technological limits…and got into trouble.

Had they employed wizards, like I told them to, they wouldn’t have gotten into this mess.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

3 of 7