Episode 31 - The Secular Conscience, Part 1
Posted: 03 June 2010 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Part one of a two-part lecture on bioethics by philosopher Austin Dacey, former United Nations representative of the Center for Inquiry. On May 24, 2008, Dr. Dacey presented a lecture entitled “The Secular Conscience” at the Center for Inquiry / Transnational in Amherst, New York. The talk was drawn from his book of the same name.

Dacey calls for a bold rethinking of the nature of conscience and its role in public life. Inspired by an earlier liberal tradition he traces to Spinoza and John Stuart Mill, Dacey urges liberals to lift their self-imposed gag order and defend a renewed secularism based on the objective moral value of conscience.

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/centerstage/episodes/episode_31_the_secular_conscience_part_1

Posted: 04 June 2010 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-18

Gee, I wonder from what source(s) he has develped his conjecture?

Posted: 07 June 2010 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Analytic - 04 June 2010 08:28 AM

Gee, I wonder from what source(s) he has develped his conjecture?

Let me help you with that: Inspired by an earlier liberal tradition he traces to Spinoza and John Stuart Mill, Dacey urges liberals to lift their self-imposed gag order and defend a renewed secularism based on the objective moral value of conscience.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 June 2010 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-18

If liberals have a self-imposed “gag order” against their views, I haven’t been privy to the basis for that concern.

I would agree that if liberals stopped trying to belittle alternative views, there might be a more rational discussion.

That will likely never happen.

Posted: 07 June 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Analytic - 07 June 2010 07:55 AM

If liberals have a self-imposed “gag order” against their views, I haven’t been privy to the basis for that concern.
I would agree that if liberals stopped trying to belittle alternative views, there might be a more rational discussion.

Hmm that’s funny, I can also write it as: If Conservatives have a self-imposed “gag order” against their views, I haven’t been privy to the basis for that concern.

I would agree that if Conservatives stopped trying to belittle alternative views, there might be a more rational discussion.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…