2 of 3
Hints Of Life Found On Titan
Posted: 23 June 2010 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4721
Joined  2007-10-05
Dead Monky - 23 June 2010 07:12 PM

Did anyone else read encyclopedias?

Yes, and when really bored I would read dictionaries. I even read the back of cereal boxes when eating breakfast. Do they have cereal boxes on Titan?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 23 June 2010 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 23 June 2010 07:22 PM
Dead Monky - 23 June 2010 07:12 PM

Did anyone else read encyclopedias?

Yes, and when really bored I would read dictionaries. I even read the back of cereal boxes when eating breakfast. Do they have cereal boxes on Titan?

I do/did all of the above.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 June 2010 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Same here.  I still read cereal boxes.  And warning labels.  I love when they warn people about the stupidly obvious (turn garbage disposal off before inserting hand) or the laughably absurd (do not dry clean glue).

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 23 June 2010 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-10-09

Life in the universe seemed like a guaranteed eventuality to me… but it would please me to find it so close to home. Albeit it simple form.

Secretly I am holding out hope that there [are] scientists swimming around in a global ocean under Europas surface wondering if a planet close to a heat source would allow for life in a gas.

Signature 

My superiority complex is better than yours.

Posted: 23 June 2010 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Stormy Fairweather - 23 June 2010 08:10 PM

Secretly I am holding out hope that there [are] scientists swimming around in a global ocean under Europas surface wondering if a planet close to a heat source would allow for life in a gas.

That would be way cool.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 23 June 2010 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

That would be.

I read a book a couple years ago in which there were alien lifeforms composed of looped coils of magnetic fields living at the edge of the solar system.  It was kind of neat.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 24 June 2010 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

I certainly did!  By the time I had the kids, I had 3 complete sets.  The kids today have access to the internet which should develop “super” brains.  In my senior development here, I see the older people unable to follow a simple conversation.  They have no interest in science which means no interest in the present or future.  Many fear the internet as it might cause the devil to get into their minds.  They actually fear the internet.

Posted: 24 June 2010 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

When I was a kid I decided to read and learn all the words in the smaller dictionary I had been given.  I got up to O.  I guess that’s why I can’t use any decent words in the last 40% of the alphabet.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 24 June 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Occam - 24 June 2010 03:40 PM

When I was a kid I decided to read and learn all the words in the smaller dictionary I had been given.  I got up to O.  I guess that’s why I can’t use any decent words in the last 40% of the alphabet.  LOL

Occam

That may explain why you became a chemist instead of a physicist. grin

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2010 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Very good.  Never thought of it that way. LOL

Occam

Posted: 24 June 2010 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-06-22

When I was young, I tried to read my family’s set of Encyclopedia Britannica.  This didn’t go unnoticed, and I got my own set of children’s encyclopedias for my fifth birthday.  Loved ‘em smile

Posted: 24 June 2010 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11
malkat - 24 June 2010 05:14 PM

When I was young, I tried to read my family’s set of Encyclopedia Britannica.  This didn’t go unnoticed, and I got my own set of children’s encyclopedias for my fifth birthday.  Loved ‘em smile

One of the first thing my dad did after my birth was to buy a set of the encyclopedia Britannica. Did you have the children’s set of red books too? That is where I was introduced to mythology. I used to pick out a book and just start reading it, learned all kinds of interesting, but useless stuff.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 25 June 2010 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-06-22
asanta - 24 June 2010 06:02 PM
malkat - 24 June 2010 05:14 PM

One of the first thing my dad did after my birth was to buy a set of the encyclopedia Britannica. Did you have the children’s set of red books too?

I can’t remember what kind they were.  All I remember of the look was that they had white covers with differently-colored spines.  If you put them in order, it would match the color sequence of a rainbow.

Posted: 25 June 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

When my kids entered Junior High school, our used book store down in the village had a close out sale and I made an offer on all the old National Georgraphics and came home with the lot.  My the time the kids were ready for college, we had boxes of scraps from those magazines.  I could never have afforded a subscription to NAT GEO but the kids got enough to make good grades.  We had no television in the 70s and 80s so everything had to be read.  I also picked up a collection of 24 books on “Magic and Myth” that became my guide for costumes when we did Shakespeare plays.  I still have those just in case I need to come up with a Grecian Goddess or something.  I never had a fear that my kids would fall into the supernatural but these books did work on their imaginations.

Posted: 25 June 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

If the gods created life once before, why can’t they do it again!  The gods are all up there Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, etc. so why can’t they create life again.  cool cheese

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

2 of 3