11 of 11
Survey shows enormous upswing in percentage of men accepting of gays & lesbians
Posted: 08 July 2010 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4767
Joined  2007-10-05
Analytic - 08 July 2010 06:59 PM

[And I think the focus on book burning by the most censorious is right on “focus”.

I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em! wink

Prove it! Show us the peer-reviewed scientific literature that supports your idea that the mods here burn books.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 08 July 2010 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
Analytic - 05 July 2010 05:57 PM

Sorry, but I cannot agree…

Government is restricted by National and State Constitutions…

Government powers are restricted by separation, three Federal branches, and State powers, and County powers, and City powers.  The variety of citizen rights are not restricted.  The role of the government is to police crimes, restricted against unreasonable search and seizure and other restrictions, but no restrictions against the variety of rights that the government is to protect. 

The citizens not only have the rights to movement, pursuit of happiness, freedom of speech and others enumerated in the US Constitution, but have an infinite variety beyond that.  That is because the way of justice in the USA is to assume that the citizens have the right instead of listing them comprehensively, but do list the crimes, that list is limited, thus favoring citizens rights.  So your from another country, Analytic?  That is the way of justice in the USA.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 09 July 2010 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-18

Thank’s for the “ditto”.

Posted: 09 July 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Dead Monky,

If you accept my interest in uncensored free speech, my remark did not constitute a non sequitor.

Where did I say it did?

And I think the focus on book burning by the most censorious is right on “focus”.

As hyperbole, sure.  But as an actual argument, not so much.

You know, from what I’ve seen so far, the mods on this board seem pretty good about the whole not censoring people thing.  They’ve let people slide with shit I’ve seen posters get banned for on other boards.

I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em!

And’s I yams what I yams and’s I’s smokes ‘em if’s I’s gots ‘em.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 July 2010 06:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Joined  2010-05-18

Dead Monky - 09 July 2010 02:54 PM

Dead Monky,

If you accept my interest in uncensored free speech, my remark did not constitute a non sequitor.

Where did I say it did?

And I think the focus on book burning by the most censorious is right on “focus”.

As hyperbole, sure.  But as an actual argument, not so much.

You know, from what I’ve seen so far, the mods on this board seem pretty good about the whole not censoring people thing.  They’ve let people slide with shit I’ve seen posters get banned for on other boards.

I calls ‘em as I sees ‘em!

And’s I yams what I yams and’s I’s smokes ‘em if’s I’s gots ‘em.

[ Edited: 10 July 2010 06:38 AM by Analytic ]

Posted: 10 July 2010 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Joined  2010-05-18

Dead Monky,

You are correct and I apologize for putting those words in YOUR comment. It was written by a “non-censorious” Moderator.

I comment on News and Opinion in my hometown paper and the Wall Street Journal, and in the latter, my use of the words “scum” for lowlifes, and “boob” for the uneducated prompted warnings to change those specific words. The rest of the Post has always been left standing.

I was actually banned from a supposedly liberal forum, which soon folded. No “cause-effect” relationship implied.

My comments have generally been let alone here because of their ... educational content. Only because I am an independent commentator and will not fall into line with the “consensus” have I been termed a “troll” ... inappropriately.

My skepticism has no “sacred cows”. It seems people are uable or unwilling to have their seemingly “sacred” comments skewerd instead of responding DIRECTLY to my critiques.

Typical of this approach, has been my comments and the responses of Mriana and others who believe science is whatever they - and some others - sadly believe it o be.

Good morning! grin

Posted: 10 July 2010 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

My comments have generally been let alone here because of their ... educational content. Only because I am an independent commentator and will not fall into line with the “consensus” have I been termed a “troll” ... inappropriately.

It’s a little more complicated than that.

My skepticism has no “sacred cows”. It seems people are uable or unwilling to have their seemingly “sacred” comments skewerd instead of responding DIRECTLY to my critiques.

Look, A I’m not one to take sides, I’d much rather poke at everyone in turn and I’m hardly one to have any sacred cows.  But from what I’ve been reading you’re the one that hasn’t been responding to people.  Darron, Mriana, and whoever have a point.  You’ve been blithely dismissing everyone’s arguments and supportive links while refusing to provide anything to back up your arguments other than your own assertions and arrogant proclamations about your background in blah blah whatever.  Normally, I would encourage you to go back, read over everything again, take a new neutral look at things, look it and yourself over, make a personal evaluation, try to see things in a new light, but you know what?  Screw it.  Nobody ever does.  People always just either ignore their faults, get angry over the suggestion of them, or carry on like nothing happened.  So fuck it.  Do whatever you want.  I’m sick of trying to get people to change themselves.

Typical of this approach, has been my comments and the responses of Mriana and others who believe science is whatever they - and some others - sadly believe it o be.

Uh huh.  And of course you would never fall into such a pit of delusional self-assurance.  Right?

[ Edited: 10 July 2010 11:37 AM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

Posted: 10 July 2010 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Joined  2010-05-18

My last word on this subject: I doubt Mriana has published more than a dozen papers, and those in cuddly journals - just right for her soft science.

BTW, I read every one of her litany of soft publications - and those too old to be of any value.

Neither should impress anyone who takes the time to read them and has access to the full text.
———————————————————-
I HAVE and DO respond to comments that I judge of any value. Those I judge to be of limited or little value, I may or may not write something acerbically critical.

[Just as I do with manuscripts to journals the editors of which judge me to be honest, frank and unalligned to a particular view of the herd].

Read more slowly, and with a bit more confidence that I’m not pulling your chain.

Posted: 10 July 2010 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11

Martin Gardner’s signs of a Crank:  http://skepticblog.org/2010/07/08/martin-gardners-signs-of-a-crank/

A couple of salient points from the article:

....Cranks tend to consider themselves geniuses. Cranks tend to learn early on that their work is pretty unique. For some reason they often fail to consider the possibility that this uniqueness is for any reason other than its utter brilliance. “I’m the only one smart enough to see this” a pretty clear red flag. Beware of anyone who claims unique insight.
...Cranks tend to regard their colleagues and critics as stupid. The Dunning-Kruger effect (no relation to me) is expressed when people of mediocre ability are unable to perceive their own mediocrity, and unable to comprehend that others may be smarter or more capable than they. When a crank sees a colleague doing different work or coming to different conclusions, it may well be that his own incompetence prevents him from understanding that it’s possible for others to be smarter. Therefore, the colleagues’ different conclusions can only be due to their stupidity.

[ Edited: 12 July 2010 01:53 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 July 2010 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Total Posts:  4767
Joined  2007-10-05

Asanta, you forgot:

Cranks tend to criticize the work of big names in science. Einstein is usually the favorite.

Remember that Analytic is a biologist who does not believe in evolution and dismisses Einstein as a plagiarist.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 July 2010 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 10 July 2010 07:39 PM

Asanta, you forgot:

Cranks tend to criticize the work of big names in science. Einstein is usually the favorite.

Remember that Analytic is a biologist who does not believe in evolution and dismisses Einstein as a plagiarist.

I had to adhere to the fair use policy. I could have posted the entire list, which could be written to describe ‘Analytic’, but I didn’t want to get dinged by the Mods.. smile ...however, feel free to add to the list wink

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 July 2010 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Read more slowly, and with a bit more confidence that I’m not pulling your chain.

I don’t care if you are or not.  My opinion stands.  You need to take a look at yourself, A.  As if that’s going to happen.  rolleyes

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2010 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
Analytic - 10 July 2010 06:36 AM

Educational???  You toss out grand pronouncements yet, never back them up with a little more explanation.  You seldom or never offer answers to questions presented to you ~ instead you toss out non-sequiturs to avoid the point.  What the heck is educational about that?

Analytic - 10 July 2010 06:36 AM

Skewer all you want - but until you are capable of defending your stance with some serious coherent dialogue you’re little more than a Dunning-Kruger exhibit.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 12 July 2010 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Educational???  You toss out grand pronouncements yet, never back them up with a little more explanation.  You seldom or never offer answers to questions presented to you ~ instead you toss out non-sequiturs to avoid the point.  What the heck is educational about that?

Maybe he’s trying to teach us all about logical fallacies and poor debating techniques.

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Total Posts:  7547
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 10 July 2010 07:31 PM

Martin Gardner’s signs of a Crank:  http://skepticblog.org/2010/07/08/martin-gardners-signs-of-a-crank/

A couple of salient points from the article:
....Cranks tend to consider themselves geniuses. Cranks tend to learn early on that their work is pretty unique. For some reason they often fail to consider the possibility that this uniqueness is for any reason other than its utter brilliance. “I’m the only one smart enough to see this” a pretty clear red flag. Beware of anyone who claims unique insight.
...Cranks tend to regard their colleagues and critics as stupid. The Dunning-Kruger effect (no relation to me) is expressed when people of mediocre ability are unable to perceive their own mediocrity, and unable to comprehend that others may be smarter or more capable than they. When a crank sees a colleague doing different work or coming to different conclusions, it may well be that his own incompetence prevents him from understanding that it’s possible for others to be smarter. Therefore, the colleagues’ different conclusions can only be due to their stupidity.

I agree with you asanta and those who are usually cranks won’t accept any information that opposes their POV, which doesn’t make them look knowledgeable about anything in the end.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

11 of 11