1 of 2
I had no idea…
Posted: 14 June 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  779
Joined  2009-07-17

that the US government funds CAM research via the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

Huh… Seems like a waste of money to me*. Haven’t most credible studies shown that the benefits of CAM are at best a placebo effect? Why keep studying it?

(My guess is because it’s big business. wink)

Take care,

Derek

*  They have a budget of US$128,844,000 for 2010. (Obtained here: http://nccam.nih.gov/grants/strategy/2010.htm#data )

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 14 June 2010 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Yep, if they’re looking for ways to cut the deficit, there’s one right there. No brainer.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 June 2010 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3054
Joined  2010-04-26

Nah.  They can’t cut that.  It makes more sense to cut education, infrastructure, and science.  Now those are worthless investments.  Clearly.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 14 June 2010 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

You must not forget the qualifications that are NOT necessary to be a Senator or Representative—Intelligence, critical thinking, scientific education, rationality, etc.  I’m sure there are many there who believe strongly in CAM.

Occam

Posted: 16 June 2010 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Yes, NCCAM is a frequent topic on Science-Based Medicine (see HERE for example), and it is a travesty of politics trumping science. They have spent $2.5 billion of taxpayer money on the implausible, and while not having yet published a single study that has changed medical practice or solidly validated any implausible therapy, they are still going strong. *sigh*

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 22 June 2010 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  260
Joined  2010-05-18

There is one small benefit from “alternative medicine” research: an increasingly disgusted public who reads about it in such lofty scientific magazines such as PREVENTION, who wants it stopped!!

Of course, as is popular in modern parlance: if they don’t credit it, they must be “deniers”.

Posted: 09 August 2010 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Have you seen this on Science Based Medicine?

FDA Warns Consumers of Serious Harm from Drinking Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS)
Product contains industrial strength bleach

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers not to take Miracle Mineral Solution, an oral liquid also known as “Miracle Mineral Supplement” or “MMS.”  The product, when used as directed, produces an industrial bleach that can cause serious harm to health.

The FDA has received several reports of health injuries from consumers using this product, including severe nausea, vomiting, and life-threatening low blood pressure from dehydration.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=6430

That just made my week… angry

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 August 2010 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh my!  Don’t people comprehend what bleach can do to them?  How stupid and/or gullible can people be?

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 09 August 2010 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

They may die, but they’ll have nice clean insides.  smile

Occam/Emerson

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 August 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Mriana - 09 August 2010 10:40 AM

Oh my!  Don’t people comprehend what bleach can do to them?  How stupid and/or gullible can people be?

The product instructs consumers to mix the 28 percent sodium chloride solution with an acid such as citrus juice. This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a potent bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment.

People don’t take chemistry in high school anymore, and don’t realize what sodium chloride is. OR perhaps they really believe it is a miracle cure, ‘they’ don’t want you to know about! Criminal investigations have begun.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 August 2010 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 09 August 2010 01:35 PM
Mriana - 09 August 2010 10:40 AM

The product instructs consumers to mix the 28 percent sodium chloride solution with an acid such as citrus juice. This mixture produces chlorine dioxide, a potent bleach used for stripping textiles and industrial water treatment.

People don’t take chemistry in high school anymore, and don’t realize what sodium chloride is. OR perhaps they really believe it is a miracle cure, ‘they’ don’t want you to know about! Criminal investigations have begun.

Maybe they think sodium chloride is salt.  LOL  I hate to tell them that if the molecules are even slightly off, it is no longer salt, but pure poison.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 09 August 2010 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Something’s wrong here.  Table salt is sodium chloride.  Citrus juice, say lemon juice is mostly citric acid with a smaller amount of ascorbic acid.  Both of these are reducing agents.  So, even if one was mixing them with bleach (sodium hypochlorite), they’d quickly reduce it to plain salt and maybe bit of CO2. 

As a kid I loved squeezing some lemon juice on the back of my hand, pouring salt in it and licking the salty/sour mixture.  And I didn’t care for fish when I was a kid, but my parents used to take to a fish restaurant near the beach.  Since they didn’t have vinegar, I’d load the fish up with salt and lemon juice.  If the fish was a few hours old, the acid would react with the decomposition amines that give fish the odor so it wouldn’t have it anymore. 

I’ll check out the link and report back.

Occam
Wordpad (what else is new?)

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Ah, I found it. The article mentions sodium chlorite, not sodium chloride.  Citric acid can convert sodium chlorite (NaClO2) to sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) which is bleach.  However. sodium chlorite would certainly be at least as toxic as sodium hypochlorite.

Occam/E

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2010 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Emerson - 09 August 2010 08:21 PM

Ah, I found it. The article mentions sodium chlorite, not sodium chloride.  Citric acid can convert sodium chlorite (NaClO2) to sodium hypochlorite (NaClO) which is bleach.  However. sodium chlorite would certainly be at least as toxic as sodium hypochlorite.

Occam/E

Oops typo!  red face Sorry!!  shut eye

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2010 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

We all do it.  I hate rereading my posts after two or three people have responded, and I see that I mistyped or worse left out an important word so the post doesn’t quite make sense.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 29 September 2010 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4350
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 09 August 2010 10:01 PM

Oops typo!  red face Sorry!!  shut eye

This is OT (but a great example), but how do doctors get away with scribbling illegible prescriptions, when one or two letters can mean a huge difference.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

1 of 2