4 of 4
Poll
Can a person be a good scientist if they are a devout evengelical Christian?
Yes 4
No 7
I don’t know 4
I don’t care 1
Total Votes: 16
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Christians in science
Posted: 08 July 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-07-08

Furthermore, Prof. Frank J. Tipler’s Omega Point Theory demonstrates that the known laws of physics (i.e., the Second Law of Thermodynamics, general relativity, quantum mechanics, and the Standard Model of particle physics) require that the universe end in the Omega Point: the final form of the cosmological singularity and state of infinite informational capacity identified as being God. The universe was also brought into being by the Omega Point, as the end-state of the universe causally brings about the beginning state, i.e., the Big Bang singularity (since in physics it’s just as accurate to say that causation goes from future to past events: viz., the principle of least action; and unitarity).

The Omega Point is omniscient, having an infinite amount of information and knowing all that is logically possible to be known; it is omnipotent, having an infinite amount of energy and power; and it is omnipresent, consisting of all that exists. These three properties are the traditional quidditative definitions of God held by almost all of the world’s leading religions. Hence, by definition, the Omega Point is God.

And given an infinite amount of computational resources, per the Bekenstein Bound, recreating the exact quantum state of our present universe is trivial, requiring at most a mere 10^123 bits (the number which Roger Penrose calculated), or at most a mere 2^10^123 bits for every different quantum configuration of the universe logically possible (i.e., the multiverse in its entirety up to this point in universal history). So the Omega Point will be able to resurrect us using merely an infinitesimally small amount of total computational resources: indeed, the multiversal resurrection will occur between 10^-10^10 and 10^-10^123 seconds before the Omega Point is reached, as the computational capacity of the universe at that stage will be great enough that doing so will require only a trivial amount of total computational resources.

Christian theology is preferentially selected by the known laws of physics (i.e., the Second Law of Thermodynamics, general relativity, quantum mechanics, and the Standard Model of particle physics) due to the fundamentally triune structure of the Omega Point cosmology and due to existence having come into being a finite time in the past (i.e., the traditional theological position of creatio ex nihilo).

Moreover, the Standard Model of particle physics provides the mechanism by which the miracles recorded in the New Testament could be achieved without violating any known laws of physics, even if one were to assume that we currently don’t exist on a level of implementation in a computer simulation (in that case, then such miracles would be trivially easy to perform for the society running the simulation, even though it would seem amazing from our perspective). This process uses baryon annihilation, and its inverse, via electroweak quantum tunneling controlled by the cosmological end state of the Omega Point (since in physics it’s just as accurate to say that causation goes from future to past events: viz., the principle of least action; and unitarity). If the coming of Jesus Christ and the miracles that He performed were necessary in order to lead to the Omega Point, then the probability of said event occuring is exactly 1: certain to happen.

For the physics of the Omega Point cosmology in addition to the Feynman-Weinberg quantum gravity/Standard Model Theory of Everything (TOE) correctly describing and unifying all the forces in physics, see the below paper:

F. J. Tipler, “The structure of the world from pure numbers,” Reports on Progress in Physics, Vol. 68, No. 4 (April 2005), pp. 897-964. http://math.tulane.edu/~tipler/theoryofeverything.pdf Also released as “Feynman-Weinberg Quantum Gravity and the Extended Standard Model as a Theory of Everything,” arXiv:0704.3276, April 24, 2007. http://arxiv.org/abs/0704.3276

Out of 50 articles, Prof. Tipler’s above paper was selected as one of 12 for the “Highlights of 2005” accolade as “the very best articles published in Reports on Progress in Physics in 2005 [Vol. 68]. Articles were selected by the Editorial Board for their outstanding reviews of the field. They all received the highest praise from our international referees and a high number of downloads from the journal Website.” (See Richard Palmer, Publisher, “Highlights of 2005,” Reports on Progress in Physics. http://www.webcitation.org/5o9VkK3eE )

Reports on Progress in Physics is the leading journal of the Institute of Physics, Britain’s main professional body for physicists. Further, Reports on Progress in Physics has a higher impact factor (according to Journal Citation Reports) than Physical Review Letters, which is the most prestigious American physics journal (one, incidently, which Prof. Tipler has been published in more than once). A journal’s impact factor reflects the importance the science community places in that journal in the sense of actually citing its papers in their own papers. (And just to point out, Tipler’s 2005 Reports on Progress in Physics paper could not have been published in Physical Review Letters since said paper is nearly book-length, and hence not a “letter” as defined by the latter journal.)

See also the below resource for further information on the Omega Point Theory:

Theophysics: God Is the Ultimate Physicist http://theophysics.chimehost.net , http://theophysics.host56.com

Tipler is Professor of Physics and Mathematics (joint appointment) at Tulane University. His Ph.D. is in the field of global general relativity (the same rarefied field that Profs. Roger Penrose and Stephen Hawking developed), and he is also an expert in particle physics and computer science. His Omega Point Theory has been published in a number of prestigious peer-reviewed physics and science journals in addition to Reports on Progress in Physics, such as Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (one of the world’s leading astrophysics journals), Physics Letters, the International Journal of Theoretical Physics, etc.

Prof. John A. Wheeler (the father of most relativity research in the U.S.) wrote that “Frank Tipler is widely known for important concepts and theorems in general relativity and gravitation physics” on p. viii in the “Foreword” to The Anthropic Cosmological Principle (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1986) by cosmologist Prof. John D. Barrow and Tipler, which was the first book wherein Tipler’s Omega Point Theory was described. On p. ix of said book, Prof. Wheeler wrote that Chapter 10 of the book, which concerns the Omega Point Theory, “rivals in thought-provoking power any of the [other chapters].”

The leading quantum physicist in the world, Prof. David Deutsch (inventor of the quantum computer, being the first person to mathematically describe the workings of such a device, and winner of the Institute of Physics’ 1998 Paul Dirac Medal and Prize for his work), endorses the physics of the Omega Point Theory in his book The Fabric of Reality (1997). For that, see:

David Deutsch, extracts from Chapter 14: “The Ends of the Universe” of The Fabric of Reality: The Science of Parallel Universes—and Its Implications (London: Allen Lane The Penguin Press, 1997); with additional comments by Frank J. Tipler. http://theophysics.110mb.com/deutsch-ends-of-the-universe.html

Signature 

Author of “Jesus Is an Anarchist”, Social Science Research Network (SSRN), October 17, 2009 (originally published December 19, 2001) http://ssrn.com/abstract=1337761 , http://theophysics.host56.com/anarchist-jesus.html

Theophysics: God Is the Ultimate Physicist (a website with information on Prof. Frank J. Tipler’s Omega Point Theory and the quantum gravity Theory of Everything [TOE]) http://theophysics.chimehost.net , http://theophysics.host56.com

Posted: 08 July 2010 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Jackson - 18 June 2010 05:12 PM

To expand on toombaru’s question (a) do you really think someone is reading the thoughts (good or bad) of X billion humans—do you think He is reading the thoughts of all intelligent beings in the universe simultaneously?

You’ve heard of twitter? You can already read the thoughts of thousands of humans. There is no magic or supernatural component because you understand the mechanics of how this works. Not so far fetched to think that a being could access all of the thoughts of all beings simultaneously at some point in the future.

(b) why is there no really strong evidence that God exists—why doesn’t He at least talk to the Pope once a year? once every 100 years?  Why do we simultaneously have a God who doesn’t want to intrude on our lives AND wants us to follow his commandments or else…

Because people keep promoting and looking for a supernatural God. God IMO is just taking what life is and has been able to accomplish and projecting it out to a natural conclusion.

What is consciousness? Billions of cells working together, communicating that creates a self-awareness?

We humans are already communicating so fast over great distances and starting to think with one mind. We have leaders which decide the thinking for a great many people.

Life was single cells that evolved into a multi-cell organism. I see humans starting to evolve into larger organism. We compete to lead the thinking. We work together to accomplish greater things then we could alone. We become part of a greater whole.

Just a natural process of evolving into an entity that knows everything it is possible to know and can do anything that it is possible to do.

And I suspect this is not the first time life has gone through this process.

Posted: 10 July 2010 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03
Gnostikosis - 08 July 2010 02:03 PM
Jackson - 18 June 2010 05:12 PM

To expand on toombaru’s question (a) do you really think someone is reading the thoughts (good or bad) of X billion humans—do you think He is reading the thoughts of all intelligent beings in the universe simultaneously?

You’ve heard of twitter? You can already read the thoughts of thousands of humans. There is no magic or supernatural component because you understand the mechanics of how this works. Not so far fetched to think that a being could access all of the thoughts of all beings simultaneously at some point in the future.

Um—is this a philosophical point or do you think it’s true that there is a God who reads our thoughts…

Um—I only put on twitter what I want to put on twitter—I don’t think this is a good analogy—-
Um—what about animals and extra terrrestrials— do we mean every sentient being in the universe…

Given convincing evidence even Richard Dawkins would gladly believe—what commandments does God expect you to obey—the different religions sort of contradict one another and the Referee won’t explain the rules - this sounds even worse than the World Cup…

Posted: 11 July 2010 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2010-07-04

Hell, even the same religion often contradicts itself numerous times.  Logical coherence is not a strong point of religion.

Posted: 12 July 2010 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Jackson - 10 July 2010 07:28 PM

Um—is this a philosophical point or do you think it’s true that there is a God who reads our thoughts…

Based on what we are currently able to do I think it is possible. The idea only seems supernatural as long as someone doesn’t understand the mechanics.

Um—I only put on twitter what I want to put on twitter—I don’t think this is a good analogy—-

The point is to derive what is possible from what we’ve been able to achieve. Our current abilities would seem supernatural to people 100 years ago. I suspect what life is capable of in the future would seem supernatural to many today. They are already able to study the physiology of the brain to decipher images that a person is seeing fairly accurately. 

Um—what about animals and extra terrrestrials— do we mean every sentient being in the universe…

I don’t know, if so, it would be a natural process. One we simply don’t understand the mechanics of yet.

Given convincing evidence even Richard Dawkins would gladly believe—what commandments does God expect you to obey—

I don’t know that there are any such commandments, however I think the evident intent is for life to learn to survive.

the different religions sort of contradict one another and the Referee won’t explain the rules - this sounds even worse than the World Cup…

People make all of the social rules so what do you expect? Morality, good and evil are self determined. IMO if there were a God the only rules provided are the physical constraints of the universe.

4 of 4

‹‹ The Case for God      Bernie and Gnostikosis ››