2 of 3
The first frightening thing you learned about the universe
Posted: 24 June 2010 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
Stormy Fairweather - 24 June 2010 05:15 PM

Gavity works by bending space.

If you travel in a straight line in curved space, then it is the curvature of that which will dictate your path.

Mathematicly, the earth travels in a straight line.

Kinda why inertia does not throw matter off the planet as in travels at 36 000 kph in what amounts to a doughnut track.

OK, I won’t quarrel with that.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 25 June 2010 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
DarronS - 24 June 2010 05:42 PM
Stormy Fairweather - 24 June 2010 05:15 PM

Gavity works by bending space.

If you travel in a straight line in curved space, then it is the curvature of that which will dictate your path.

Mathematically, the earth travels in a straight line.

Kinda why inertia does not throw matter off the planet as in travels at 36 000 kph in what amounts to a doughnut track.

OK, I won’t quarrel with that.

That was good - I wonder how many drink bets Stormy has won with that one.  grin

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 25 June 2010 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05
citizenschallenge - 25 June 2010 07:22 AM

That was good - I wonder how many drink bets Stormy has won with that one.  grin

I owe him a shot of his favorite beverage.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 25 June 2010 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

When I was four or five years old, I had the old idea in my mind that the universe was mostly stable.  The stars and the Sun stayed in their place, the Earth rotated to make the Sun looks like it moves, and the other planets orbit the Sun.

Then I found out that everything was moving, and thought that was frightening… how could the objects avoid colliding!  I didn’t learn that they were in stable orbits and so very far apart until later.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 27 June 2010 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-26

1) The sun “blowing up” and expanding past the earth’s orbit, thus sautéing us.
2) It’s more than just likely that there’s no “point” to all of this, that we are simply emergent phenomena of chemistries that made copies of themselves.

Posted: 27 June 2010 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
DarronS - 24 June 2010 04:32 AM

I don’t find anything actually frightening about the universe, but one thing makes me melancholy: the odds are overwhelming that we will never contact an alien civilization.

I’m still thinking about the “first” thing—I think that the universe didn’t frighten me when I was little…

but the MOST frightening thing about the universe to me now is that we MIGHT contact an alien civilization ‘bigger than us’.

Cue the Wings’ Live and Let Die
http://www.lyrics007.com/Wings Lyrics/Live And Let Die Lyrics.html

Posted: 27 June 2010 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-06-22
Jackson - 27 June 2010 10:39 AM
DarronS - 24 June 2010 04:32 AM

I don’t find anything actually frightening about the universe, but one thing makes me melancholy: the odds are overwhelming that we will never contact an alien civilization.

I’m still thinking about the “first” thing—I think that the universe didn’t frighten me when I was little…

but the MOST frightening thing about the universe to me now is that we MIGHT contact an alien civilization ‘bigger than us’.

Cue the Wings’ Live and Let Die
http://www.lyrics007.com/Wings Lyrics/Live And Let Die Lyrics.html

Hopefully, they’ll be both bigger and kinder.  Maybe WE would be the barbaric ones.

Posted: 27 June 2010 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-06-27

That People are Apes.

Posted: 29 June 2010 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2007-12-10

Entropy

Signature 

Dan

Posted: 29 June 2010 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Some Guy - 29 June 2010 06:05 PM

Entropy

WHY?

Because it introduced the reality of “FINITE”-NESS?

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 29 June 2010 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
mig - 27 June 2010 06:00 PM

That People are Apes.

Yea, and I saw yu Mama man and she ugly bro…
(don’t believe me?  Check it out! ... she ugly man…)

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2010 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
steveg144 - 24 June 2010 06:12 AM

Perhaps the thing that terrified (terrifies) me the most about the universe is the theory, which I read about just a few months ago, that the whole universe is actually a 2-dimensional construct, and what
we experience is just one vast hologram. Disturbing, deeply disturbing.

Hmmm,
I had a weird ‘thought connection’ earlier, that may have started here…

Since I totally reject the above notion ~ and personally relate most of our (suicidal) current world problems to people’s inherent confinement to their limited 2-dimensional perspective of the world around them.

What if:
God is Fractals

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I sort of agree with Some Guy.  I didn’t get frightened when I first learned about entropy, but I certainly got P.O.ed.  I didn’t believe it at first and thought very hard to try to come up with some way of disproving the 2nd law (OK, so as a kid I wasn’t a wise ass. Rather, I was a smart ass.).  It took a while, but it really helped me restructure my concept of the universe and reality.

Occam

Posted: 30 June 2010 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Entropy didn’t/doesn’t scare me, nor does the fact that before it dies, our sun will swallow the earth. It is just the shear space that goes on and on while physicists debate the size and shape of the universe!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 June 2010 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I can’t really say that anything that I’ve ever learned about universe scares me. If I ever felt fear, it was probably because I didn’t understand something. I thought it was very scary, for example, that we are on a collision path with Andromeda, until I learned from Philip Plait that we are actually merging with another galaxy at this moment and that doesn’t seem to be going too bad, does it? I learned that spaces between stars are too great to cause stars to collide with each other when galaxies are merging. Ignorance is not bliss, at least not to me.

2 of 3