“Climate Skeptics - the good, the bad and the ugly”  ~  the Skeptic Magazine article
Posted: 28 June 2010 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
Jackson - 26 June 2010 09:49 AM

I was in Barnes and Noble this morning buying magazines for the beach safari next week and I noticed that Skeptic magazine has Climate Skeptics for cover issue…  if you guys have looked at it and have comments could you start a separate thread with critiques & accolades (i.e. do you recommend the issue)
Might be helpful to CC for his essay ..main reason to post it here…
Jackson

Well, I decided to contribute and actually purchased a copy of that magazine.  Pretty good issue, lots of interesting stuff.
Incidentally the July/August issue of The Humanist also features “The Climate of Denial - Culture of Belief” on its cover and includes three interesting stories. 
http://www.thehumanist.org/

But, I’ll admit to being a little miffed that all four of the articles drown on - why are these guys paid by the word, and allowed to rattle on with a hundred words to tell 60/70 words worth of story?  OK maybe I am just jealous, still sure seems like a lot of fluff could have been eliminated, leaving behind even better (more readable) articles.  But, OK that said all four articles were interesting and worth reading.

Climate Skeptics v. Climate Deniers (I’m guestimating it weighed in bit under 4000 words) actually has a fun interesting approach to distinguishing and exploring the differences between a honest Skeptic and the Denialist.

Below are the section headings David Brin used.
- Who is an Expert?
- The News I Need from the Weather Report
- A little Humility
- Is it Really Close to 100%?

- The Young Guns of Science
  Points out that post-docs and junior professors “are always on the lookout for chinks and holes in the current paradigm, where they can go to topple Nobel laureates and make a name for themselves.”  This is important because “the Denier narrative is that every single young atmospheric scientist is corrupt or a gelded coward.  Not a few, or some, or even most…but every last one of them.  Only that can explain why none of them have “come out.”

- Who are the More Likely Conspirators
- The Tobacco Connection
- The 1% Precautionary Principle

“Denialists demand that no rash measures be taken, until there is proof of danger”  “In other words, this reasoning alone shifts the burden of proof onto the shoulders of those urging action, a burden that cannot be met even with 99% scientific consensus.”
    This “... Precautionary Principle holds that some kinds of danger call for preventive action, even if the peril in question has not yet been proven.  This principle is not just a lefty nostrum.  It was put forward most insistently by that icon of the neocon right, (former VP Dick)...”

- The Role of Propaganda Media
- Why it’s Hard to Get the Scientist to Answer
- What’s a Sincere Skeptic to Do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m sorry I don’t have more time to play with this, but gotta run.  Anyone else out there read David Brin’s article?

[ Edited: 28 June 2010 12:05 PM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 29 June 2010 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  258
Joined  2010-02-28

Have not seen it - I’m in Oz, but would love to read.

Is it online?

Signature 

http://watchingthedeniers.wordpress.com/

Posted: 29 June 2010 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I received the new Skeptical Inquirer in the mail today. There is an article titled Climate Wars Follow-up and one titled Our Disinformation Culture, that caught my attention. I’ll let you know if they are any good.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 June 2010 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

The Humanist articles can be read on line:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

America’s Addiction to Belief
by Brian Trent
From conspiracy theories to blind allegiances, irrationality is the new American zeitgeist.

Defending Climate Science Today
by Stuart Jordan
Post-Climategate: putting the contrarians in the hot seat

Spoil the Earth, Spare the Child: Freeman Dyson’s Inconvenient Climate Views
by Phillip F. Schewe

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 30 June 2010 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Great! Thanks for the links. I’ll bookmark them!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…