2 of 2
Some things…
Posted: 13 August 2006 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Jim brings up an excellent point. In saying that there are ethical absolutes, I am not saying that these absolutes are decided by majority vote. I am not saying they are easy to find. I am not even saying that we can always tell what they are!

But it’s just a cop-out to say that ‘anything goes’, ethically speaking. That is clearly false.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 28 October 2006 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2006-04-07

No Doug, not absolutes but contextual morals and provisional. As Quentin Smith notes:” So even if morality is not intrinsic to reality, but is created by humans, the mere fact that it is inter-subjectively valid for all humans, it applies to all humans, that’s a sufficeiently strong sese of objectivity to motivate and give humans reason t behave in a moral manner.” The word is objective, not absolute. We are ever learning how better to do morals. I think that we are actually in agreement! :idea:

Signature 

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism.He might be wrong!His cognitive defects might impact his posting. Logic is the bane of theists.‘Religion is mythinformation.“Reason saves, not that fanatic Galilean!
  ’ Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate purpose.”

2 of 2