Realcimate offers an explanation of the greenhouse effect:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2010/07/a-simple-recipe-for-ghe/

[ Edited: 06 July 2010 09:00 AM by jimn ]

Posted: 06 July 2010 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05

Oooo!  Void, Medium, Luna!  WOW!

That article is more in the style of IMPRESS people with science so they BELIEVE.

If they weren’t taught about conduction, convection and radiation in grade school do you think most people over 30 are going to get it now?

Where were the SCIENTISTS talking about the aerodynamics of cars 30 years ago?

The RELIGION of SCIENCE must be stamped out.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 06 July 2010 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09

What the hell are you talking about psikeyhackr?

What was so off putting about that article and its attempt at a another detailed (yet keeping it simple) explanation of the mechanism of GHGs, sun and the physics of Earth’s greenhouse effect.  Especially when we got so many clowns out there pretending to prove that atmospheric CO2 content is meaningless - why not another attempt at explaining it?

Oh, and pray tell what is this “religion of science?”

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 06 July 2010 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

Don’t fret over him, CC. With any luck the moderators will step in and do something to stop him from hijacking threads with his hysterical rants.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 06 July 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Come on Darron, every show need a Barney Fife.  LOL

Occam

(Ref. for the older of us.)
Wordpad

Posted: 06 July 2010 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

As long as he keeps his bullet in his pocket I’m OK with that.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 07 July 2010 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
DarronS - 06 July 2010 04:51 PM

As long as he keeps his bullet in his pocket I’m OK with that.

That’s funny I forgot all about the bullet in the pocket rule   rolleyes

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 07 July 2010 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

The what?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 07 July 2010 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
Dead Monky - 07 July 2010 02:09 PM

The what?

See the Wikipedia article on Barney Fife.

One major comedic source is Barney’s lack of ability with a firearm. After numerous misfires (usually a Colt or Smith & Wesson M&P .38 caliber revolver), Andy restricts Barney to carrying only a single bullet in his shirt pocket, “in case of an emergency.” The bullet always seems to find its way back into the pistol, where, predictably, it is accidentally discharged. The accidental discharge of Barney’s pistol becomes a running gag: Barney gives a lecture on gun safety and either shoots the floor through his holster, or assuming the safety latch is on, causes the gun to fire!

You have to watch the reruns to fully appreciate Don Knotts’ comic genius.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Ah.  Now I know.  I could never really stomach The Andy Griffith Show.  When it comes to old, black and white stuff to watch I’m a Three Stooges guy all the way.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

The Marx brothers or Laurel and Hardy, OK because their humor was clever.  The Three Stooges, ugh.  I hated them even when I was a kid, because they were all about hurting each other.

Occam

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

You just fail to grasp the subtle nuances of the eye poke and nose tweak.  Really though, the Stooges had a fair amount of social commentary in their shorts.  Especially in You Nazty Spy! which thoroughly mocked Hitler and the Third Reich when most everyone else in the US was still neutral.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

The Three Stooges were funny when I was five years old, but Groucho Marx had the best one-liners of all time.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2010 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree that “You Nazty Spy” came out a few months before “The Great Dictator” but Chaplin did an even better job of destroying the Hitler mystique.

Early in WWII, my friends and I, as pre-teens, used to love going to Marx Brothers films, new and reruns, and memorizing the one-liners.  We had a whole vocabulary of them and managed to use them constantly in conversation, much to the distress of our mothers.  smile

Occam
Wordpad

Posted: 08 July 2010 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05
citizenschallenge - 06 July 2010 08:43 AM

What the hell are you talking about psikeyhackr?

What was so off putting about that article and its attempt at a another detailed (yet keeping it simple) explanation of the mechanism of GHGs, sun and the physics of Earth’s greenhouse effect.  Especially when we got so many clowns out there pretending to prove that atmospheric CO2 content is meaningless - why not another attempt at explaining it?

Oh, and pray tell what is this “religion of science?”

At the very beginning the article says this:

there certainly remains a problem in communicating the science to the public.

But later it has this:

The energy flowing from the sun is intercepted by the earth with energy density described by the ‘solar constant‘ (S0=1366W/m2), and the amount of energy intercepted is the product between this flux density and the earth’s disc (minus the reflected light due to the planet’s albedo: A ~0.3). The average heat loss is given by the product of earth’s surface and its black body radiation:

S0/4 (1-A) = σT4,

where σ=5.67 x 10-8W/(m2 K4) is the Stefan-Boltzman constant. This gives a value of 255K, known as the emission temperature.

Figure 3 shows a comparison between observed surface temperature and calculated emission temperature for the planets in the solar system, based on the balance between energy from the sun and heat loss due to black body emission. In these simple calculations, the greenhouse effect is neglected, and the black body radiation can be derived from Planck’s law. The calculations agree quite well with the observations for most of the objects in our solar system, except for Venus which is known to harbour a strong GHE and has a hotter surface than Mercury despite being about twice as far away from the sun.

Now do you really expect that to get anything across to the public?  No, the vast majority of the public won’t even look at articles like this.

So the scientists can lament being ineffective while saying things insucha way as to make themselves ineffective.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 08 July 2010 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
psikeyhackr - 08 July 2010 08:41 AM

Now do you really expect that to get anything across to the public?  No, the vast majority of the public won’t even look at articles like this.

So the scientists can lament being ineffective while saying things insucha way as to make themselves ineffective.

psik

Good point I think. The ability to communicate to the level of your intended audience is almost an art form. The Greeks created a whole school of study about it.

Religious leaders and politicians excel at it. Scientists probably not so much.

They used Al Gore which was effective among those who saw him as a trustworthy individual.

1 of 2