2 of 3
Looking For Some Advice
Posted: 08 July 2010 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Yes, gentle use, no lifting heavy boxes or pushing cars! cool smirk Sorry, rest doesn’t mean STOP all use! Just don’t overdo it!

Okay, I get it.  You know, it’s felt pretty good for the last few days.

I’m Canadian.  Wanna get married? smile

Nah, I’m good.  I’m not sure I could bring myself to consider citizenship in a country founded by a duck, a beaver, and a moose.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 08 July 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 08 July 2010 03:14 PM

Yes, gentle use, no lifting heavy boxes or pushing cars! cool smirk Sorry, rest doesn’t mean STOP all use! Just don’t overdo it!

Okay, I get it.  You know, it’s felt pretty good for the last few days.

I’m Canadian.  Wanna get married? smile

Nah, I’m good. 

Sorry to hear about your arm.  The health thing is so crucial for us poor guys.  I wish I had some real advice, beyond a few anecdotes I’ll share - all I really got is a big internet hug of commiseration (Axegrrl I send one your way too, just because you’re a girl and I like girls smile Besides, I hear, you don’t want to tangle with Jade wink ).  A couple months back I had another nightmare few days - one morning literally on the floor immobilized by muscle spasms - initiating three nights moved out of my room and sleeping on the living room floor, because I couldn’t negotiate the four foot platform of my bed.  But, with the help of a good chiropractor (though I did first visit a total loser C) a couple sessions and a refocusing on stretching (yes, I’ve kept meaning to write about it in that other thread, but…) I’m up and physically healthy enough to spend the last couple days on a steep roof in 90° temps.

But, DM your situation sounds spooky because it’s in the shoulder joint - lot’s of shit going on there.  My experiences have been with carpel tunnel - and quite frankly sometimes on some jobs the muscles swell and pinch blood supply especially for someone with low blood pressure already.  Back in earlier days I had periods of waking up and my right arm being literally dead, paralyzed.  If that ain’t weird, pick up your arm and watch it drop like a rock.

But, solutions, had to do with learning never to sleep with my arms behind my head (really constricts some important vessels up there.).  Being ergonomically more responsible in the way I worked and tossing out the superduper framing hammer for something weighted more realistic for my size.  Nothing is “fixed” but I’m getting some good mileage out of it.  Are your issues activity related - are you putting stresses on that shoulder that might be handled differently?

Have you tried Epson Salt soaks?  Although that’s a muscle thing.  But, I have been amazed by them on more than one occasion.

Good luck bro

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus is not formed by scientists !
The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 08 July 2010 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

How to get cheap licensed massage:

- Find the massage school nearest you - there is usually a trade school or technical school offering massage therapy training. These places often allow students who have passed all training but need practice X number of hours in order to get licensed by the state, to practice on the public for free or greatly discounted rate (our local one is $30 an hour rather than $80 or so I pay my regular girl). The trainees operate under the school’s massage license during this time.

- Instead of a full hour long full-body massage, ask for an appointment for a “chair massage” for 30 minutes, at half the price. This is great for you since the only parts you’ll want to focus on are neck, shoulders, and back. Skip the arms and legs and save half the money. They have a special angled comfy chair you lean forward in with a cut-out for your face and a comfy towel.

- Offer cash for a discount. Many licensed massage therapists hate “filing paperwork” (cough cough declaring taxes cough cough) and will give a nice discount for cash instead of a check or credit card. Of course this will not work with a large spa or massage place, but for a solo massage therapist or one or two person operation this is very common.

Good luck and I hope these tips save you some money.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 09 July 2010 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I’m up and physically healthy enough to spend the last couple days on a steep roof in 90° temps.

Roofer I take it?  My dad did that off and on throughout his twenties and thirties.  Having watching, and helped him, roof you have my sympathies.

Back in earlier days I had periods of waking up and my right arm being literally dead, paralyzed.  If that ain’t weird, pick up your arm and watch it drop like a rock.

My first reaction would probably be panic because I’d likely assume I’d had a stroke.

But, solutions, had to do with learning never to sleep with my arms behind my head (really constricts some important vessels up there.).  Being ergonomically more responsible in the way I worked and tossing out the superduper framing hammer for something weighted more realistic for my size.  Nothing is “fixed” but I’m getting some good mileage out of it.  Are your issues activity related - are you putting stresses on that shoulder that might be handled differently?

Sleeping with my arm over my head actually seems to help my shoulder.  Or at least it keeps it from stiffening up as bad the next day.  But as far as I know my shoulder problems aren’t activity related.  I don’t really anything that puts undo strain on my shoulder or overworks it.  As near as I can figure I hurt my shoulder several years ago when I was staying at my grandparents’ house.  I think I got my arm caught between the slats in the headboard while I was sleeping and rolled over.  That’s the only idea I really have.

Have you tried Epson Salt soaks?  Although that’s a muscle thing.  But, I have been amazed by them on more than one occasion.

I know they help with foot problems my mom’s had.  I just can’t figure out how to soak my shoulder without submerging everything but my head or lying awkwardly in the tub.  Maybe I’ll think on it a little.

Good luck and I hope these tips save you some money.

Thanks.  And I’ll have to look into that.  Do you if any of those schools offer happy endings?  wink

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2010 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

Epsom Salt per se doesn’t do much for you, it is the temperature. Moist heat is the way to go, followed by ice, 20 min of each.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 July 2010 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Thanks.  The Epsom Salt thing always felt gross anyway.  Like soaking in the ocean.

Signature 

Posted: 11 July 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
asanta - 09 July 2010 11:35 PM

Epsom Salt per se doesn’t do much for you, it is the temperature. Moist heat is the way to go, followed by ice, 20 min of each.

asanta, will my fading years hold nothing but the shattering of one icon after another?  hmmm

A)  When I did the Epson Salt soaks they surely did seem to do more than just a jacuzzi.
B)  Also, I was under the impression that those mineral ions actually cross the skin barrier and do nice things inside.
I’m curious to hear a little more on this topic

As for the sea water thing, that’s cool - just don’t send me any of that Gulf of Mexico water.  But, I’ll admit being a shower guy myself - the biggest hassle to the soaks is that I actually have to spend time scrubbing out my neglected bath tub, before I dare soak in it.  And yes soaking in a tub isn’t that comfortable, but at the time I was so hurting it didn’t much matter, and it really did help.

Signature 

The Anthropogenic Global Warming Consensus IS formed by the data being gathered !

Posted: 11 July 2010 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 09 July 2010 02:41 PM

Roofer I take it? 

I’m a carpenter (not a magician) - done it all from foundations to roofs - and a couple weeks back I plumbed a new bathroom for my daughter - Happiness is turning on the water and having no leaks   grin
an allusion to some people’s expectations for their old homes

Back in earlier days I had periods of waking up and my right arm being literally dead, paralyzed.  If that ain’t weird, pick up your arm and watch it drop like a rock.

My first reaction would probably be panic because I’d likely assume I’d had a stroke.

I probably did think something along those lines - it was spooky, in my mid/late twenties and it felt like I was already heading down the slippery slope to invalid status.  Fortunately, the body has an amazing way of healing itself -

And I’ll have to look into that.  Do you if any of those schools offer happy endings?  wink

Sure, the heavenly host will await your final breath, with choral robe and song book in hand - no more pain or fear - just singing songs of praise and submission to the great one.
Don’t that sound wonderful - what more can you hope for - all the pain & grief you suffer here on Earth will only make that eternity that much more blissful once it arrives.  tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I’m a carpenter (not a magician) - done it all from foundations to roofs - and a couple weeks back I plumbed a new bathroom for my daughter

It’s kind of nice, I’ve manage to pick up a pretty broad base of home repair knowledge.  My uncle is a carpenter, my grandfather is a master electrician, my dad is a machine repairman, my step-dad is a master plumber, and every car I’ve ever owned has been a piece of shit so I know how to fix those too.  Hell, if I can’t fix it, someone else in my family can.

Happiness is turning on the water and having no leaks

Amen to that, brother.  Oh, and the hot water works.  Can’t forget that.

an allusion to some people’s expectations for their old homes

What?  You mean everything won’t work perfectly in that 150-year-old house I just bought?  Well that is just unacceptable.  tongue wink

Sure, the heavenly host will await your final breath, with choral robe and song book in hand - no more pain or fear - just singing songs of praise and submission to the great one.
Don’t that sound wonderful - what more can you hope for - all the pain & grief you suffer here on Earth will only make that eternity that much more blissful once it arrives.

Right, and I’ll get 72 virgins while I’m at it.

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
citizenschallenge - 11 July 2010 07:49 AM
asanta - 09 July 2010 11:35 PM

asanta, will my fading years hold nothing but the shattering of one icon after another?  hmmm

Sorry!

A)  When I did the Epson Salt soaks they surely did seem to do more than just a jacuzzi.
B)  Also, I was under the impression that those mineral ions actually cross the skin barrier and do nice things inside.

It feels good, but it doesn’t get very deep. It is just soothing,the moist heat is effective component.  Soaks are great for topical skin irritations, like Burrow’s solution for athlete’s foot and ingrown toe-nail infections (it is a weak bleach solution), bicarbonate of soda, or Oatmeal for minor burns and itches. I have a moist heat, reusable microwavable pack for muscle aches and sprains.

[ Edited: 12 July 2010 02:00 PM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 July 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

Our skin is pretty effective at preventing mineral flow across it.  Otherwise, when we go into the ocean or worse Salt Lake, we’d have all the water sucked out of us or become pickled in brine. 

Occam

Posted: 12 July 2010 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Pickled human?  There may be a market for that.

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2010 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Occam - 12 July 2010 01:54 PM

Our skin is pretty effective at preventing mineral flow across it.  Otherwise, when we go into the ocean or worse Salt Lake, we’d have all the water sucked out of us or become pickled in brine. 

Occam

“pretty effective,” but not totally eh?
Spending all day in brine does do a number on one’s skin.
Not that I’m denying what you and asanta say, but I gotta wonder . . .

there’s more going on . . . i think

Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2010 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2008-08-09
Dead Monky - 12 July 2010 10:43 AM

Right, and I’ll get 72 virgins while I’m at it.

Have you every seen Robin Williams, Live on Broadway?
He talking about the Muslim martyr entering heaven anticipating his reward only to walk into a mugging:
“That’s 72 Virginians you sob!”

(Also if you like click Golf, he gives the finest history of the sport’s conception I’ve ever heard

[ Edited: 22 July 2010 09:49 AM by citizenschallenge ]
 Signature 

Posted: 22 July 2010 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26

Sounds a lot like a rotator cuff issue I had several years ago. Got to the point that just the movements needed to get a shirt or a jacket on would leave me groaning in pain. Lost a lot of range of motion. Luckily it didn’t require surgery, just a year layoff from the gym and lots of physical therapy (mostly stretching and massage of the area).

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

2 of 3