4 of 11
Another topic idea: Chris Mooney (does not) owe the world an apology
Posted: 12 July 2010 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11

Brennan makes a good point. Chris’ blog is not the local park where he has to abide by the local ordinances when he visits. His blog is his ‘home’ and he gets to make the rules, even if it is a silly rule that no one is allowed with flowered shirts. You have the right to vote by not ‘visiting’. What he does on his blog is his business as long as it is legal, and we have no right to tell him how to run it. Ophelia, I am sure you are a very nice person, and your comments were very polite. Darron, I know you are a rational person. But it is Chis’ blog, just vote with your feet and don’t visit there.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 July 2010 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-02-11

Darron, thanks for you “higher standards.” Exercising them, are you ready to back down from this statement too?

“It does seem rahter pertinent, though, that you did not ban the sock puppets for trashing her for asking questions.”

What sock puppets? There were no sock puppets (that we know of) on our blog at the time your referring to. The sock puppets that everyone has been referring to and that were recently outed (“bilbo,” “milton c,” etc) all appeared later.

Were you aware of the timing of events here? Did you look into this? If not, how can you make this claim so confidently?

chris

Posted: 12 July 2010 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  4751
Joined  2007-10-05
CMooney - 12 July 2010 05:18 PM

Darron, thanks for you “higher standards.” Exercising them, are you ready to back down from this statement too?

“It does seem rather pertinent, though, that you did not ban the sock puppets for trashing her for asking questions.”

What sock puppets? There were no sock puppets (that we know of) on our blog at the time your referring to. The sock puppets that everyone has been referring to and that were recently outed (“bilbo,” “milton c,” etc) all appeared later.

Were you aware of the timing of events here? Did you look into this? If not, how can you make this claim so confidently?

chris

Yes Chris, I am ready to back down from those comments. I just read your post at The Intersection on why you banned Ophelia Benson. I was wrong to step into that scuffle, especially with only one possibly prejudiced witness to back my belief. I just tried to post this at your blog, but apparently you have, with valid reason, blocked me from posting, so I will put it here.

Chris, I owe you an apology for one of my comments at CFI. I would have posted this on the Ophelia Benson thread, but comments are closed. After reading your side of the story I realize I had no right to question why you banned Ophelia here. I regret doing so and will be more open minded in the future.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 12 July 2010 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-11

So the thread that began “Chris Mooney owes the world an apology” ends with Chris Mooney getting an apology.

Thank you, Darron, for being so gracious.

chris

Posted: 12 July 2010 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-11

Darron,

I’ve also unbanned you from the blog, if you’re willing to take this spirit over there and participate.

chris

Posted: 12 July 2010 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Thank you, Chris. I promise to play nice in your house.

Next time you are in Austin I’ll buy you a drink.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 12 July 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Stephan, I honestly wanted to know Chris’ side of the story. If I just wanted to fan a fire, I wouldn’t have asked him. Now reading his link all the way through, it does seem to be be rather a tempest in a teapot.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 July 2010 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

I still think Chris made a mistake in not verifying the story instead of the story teller, but hey, we all make mistakes, as I have so recently shown. I made the same mistake on this thread that I accused Chris of making on his blog. So much for my higher standards.

Crow does not taste like chicken.  shut eye

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Total Posts:  4072
Joined  2006-11-28

Well Darron, I echo Chris’ acknowledgement of the grace and integrity you show in acknowledging a mistake. I don’t know all the details of the issues, but I can recognize and applaud your maturity.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 12 July 2010 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-02-11

Darron if you are in Austin you should go to Sheril K’s event

http://scienceinthepub.blogspot.com/2010/06/coming-in-july.html

Posted: 12 July 2010 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Thanks for tip, Chris. I haven’t been to the Cactus Cafe in a long time. I think I’ll do that. I am interested in alternative energy and environmental policy too.

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

Hooray!! now everyone is getting along in the playground. grin (Chris, I’m not insinuating any of your rules are silly, just that you have a right to make them!)

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
asanta - 12 July 2010 08:35 PM

Hooray!! now everyone is getting along in the playground. grin

I must say this did not end as, ah, interestingly as the last time I publicly bumped chests with someone. Without going into too much detail let me just say that about six years ago I discovered the secret to world peace: naked women. Men lose all interest in fighting when women get naked and dance around a campfire.

[ Edited: 12 July 2010 09:45 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 12 July 2010 08:49 PM
asanta - 12 July 2010 08:35 PM

Hooray!! now everyone is getting along in the playground. grin

I must say this did not end as, ah, interestingly as the last time I publicly bumped chests with someone. Without going into too much detail let me just say that about six years I ago I discovered the secret to world peace: naked women. Men lose all interest in fighting when women get naked and dance around a campfire.

LOL  LOL

Another topic idea: Chris Mooney (does not) owe the world an apology

grin

[ Edited: 13 July 2010 12:25 AM by asanta ]
 Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2010 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-07-13

Hi Chris, I have two questions.

(1) You say that you gave some private information which clarifies the story to Jean Kazez and TB, two of your ardent supporters. Will you share this information with a neutral, mutually-agreed-upon individual who agrees to keep it private?

(2) Are you responsible for changing the topic of this thread from “Chris Mooney owes the world an apology” to “Chris Mooney (does not) owe the world an apology”?

4 of 11