Adam Savage - Skeptic (Confirmed)
Posted: 09 July 2010 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Adam Savage is an artist, actor, educator, special effects designer and co-host of the Discovery Channel’s TV show Mythbusters.

Adam has a diverse background in animation and design, and for almost two decades he has concentrated on the special effects industry for film, theater and television.

A prominent skeptic and atheist, Adam lectures in science education and is a strong promoter of critical thinking.

Karen Stollznow spoke with Adam in Las Vegas at The Amaz!ng Meeting, the annual conference of the James Randi Educational Foundation.

In this conversation, Adam spoke about his identification as a skeptic and atheist, and his work to promote science and skepticism to the public. He talked about his experiences on Mythbusters; why the show appeals to skeptics, and how he applies skepticism to his experiments.

Adam talks about testing pseudoscience and the paranormal, how myths and legends develop, and how the public reacts when their cherished myths are busted.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/adam_savage_skeptic_confirmed/

Posted: 10 July 2010 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

I love Mythbusters. 

I remember reading an article in which Adam said he would like to use the show to debunk ID and Creationism, but that the producers probably wouldn’t allow it.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 10 July 2010 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 10 July 2010 11:04 AM

I love Mythbusters. 

I remember reading an article in which Adam said he would like to use the show to debunk ID and Creationism, but that the producers probably wouldn’t allow it.

While I would love that episode, I’d bet it would probably be the end of the show.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 10 July 2010 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4623
Joined  2007-10-05

I just listened to this episode, and must say it is the most enjoyable PoI I have heard since DJ left. Excellent job Karen and Adam.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 10 July 2010 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Can’t wait to listen to the podcast! I’ve been a fan of the show since it’s beginning.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 July 2010 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28
asanta - 10 July 2010 05:58 PM

Can’t wait to listen to the podcast! I’ve been a fan of the show since it’s beginning.

me too.  not in the least because of their creative application of scientific method.  one of the few programs on tv that actually encourages skeptical thinking.

Posted: 16 July 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
skuld - 16 July 2010 09:13 AM
asanta - 10 July 2010 05:58 PM

me too.  not in the least because of their creative application of scientific method.  one of the few programs on tv that actually encourages skeptical thinking.

What about (the original) Scooby-Do? (Yes, I’m serious. Mostly… wink)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 16 July 2010 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Scooby Doo promoted skepticism and marijuana use.  Why do I hate that show again?

Oh right, Shaggy’s a hippie.  I hate hippies.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2010 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 16 July 2010 02:14 PM

Scooby Doo promoted skepticism and marijuana use.  Why do I hate that show again?

Oh right, Shaggy’s a hippie.  I hate hippies.

Rut row, red runkee is rang-ree.

Hey man… What’s with all the negative waves, man? We, like need, to connect with the cosmic consciousness and peace out man. Want a flower?

<ducks>

cheese

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2010 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Hhhiiiipppiiiieee…...*growls and reaches for gun*

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2010 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  403
Joined  2007-08-26
DarronS - 10 July 2010 02:42 PM

I just listened to this episode, and must say it is the most enjoyable PoI I have heard since DJ left. Excellent job Karen and Adam.

I’d second that. A good, fun, freewheeling show.

Signature 

—————————————————
http://www.StephenJGallagher.com
http://StephenJGallagher.blogspot.com

Posted: 17 July 2010 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I just listened to the podcast. Thanks, it was great to hear Adam’s views on so many subjects and know that they are no where near running out of ideas for the show!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 July 2010 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

First show I’ve listened to. It was great! Love Mythbusters.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye