2 of 3
I would love a scientist’s clinical hypothesis on the haunting experiences I lived through.
Posted: 12 July 2010 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-07-10
DarronS - 12 July 2010 09:44 PM
TinaC - 12 July 2010 09:18 PM

A. Fine you are skeptical, and you have terrible taste in music. I had no idea who you were talking about. I doubt his methodology, or ability to run video software efficiently. smileBut I’ll try anything do you have his numberl?

Here is the contact information for CFI.

And I have impeccable taste in music.

Thanks, is this the sort of thing they do? Or is he the one to contact concerning parameters for obtaining evidence?

While I highly approve of the secular separation goals, I wasn’t aware the site was so political. I chose it because something in the tag made me think a hand full of advanced level science teachers with time to talk theory and propose experimentation would be here.

Posted: 13 July 2010 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
TinaC - 12 July 2010 05:50 PM

A few nights my blankets kept coming off, or my face would be brushed or poked. The worst was when I would realize I was readjusting my legs because I was sliding into the invisibly depressed side of the bed.

This is very similar to what happened to the girl on the show I previously mentioned, especially the depressed bed part. If I remember correctly, someone joined her to observe the situation, and he started having similar hallucinations as well.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 13 July 2010 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

A few nights my blankets kept coming off, or my face would be brushed or poked. The worst was when I would realize I was readjusting my legs because I was sliding into the invisibly depressed side of the bed.

I have some of that.  I kick the blankets off in my sleep and throw my pillow on the floor sometimes.  I get bruised too.  But that’s because my girlfriend rolls around a lot in her sleep and kicks and elbows me sometimes.  And I used to roll into a depression, but that mattress was old and shitty and in a landfill somewhere now.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 17 July 2010 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03
TinaC - 12 July 2010 10:12 PM
DarronS - 12 July 2010 09:44 PM

A. Fine you are skeptical, and you have terrible taste in music. I had no idea who you were talking about. I doubt his methodology, or ability to run video software efficiently. smileBut I’ll try anything do you have his numberl?

Here is the contact information for CFI.

And I have impeccable taste in music.

Thanks, is this the sort of thing they do? Or is he the one to contact concerning parameters for obtaining evidence?

While I highly approve of the secular separation goals, I wasn’t aware the site was so political. I chose it because something in the tag made me think a hand full of advanced level science teachers with time to talk theory and propose experimentation would be here.

I agree 100% with those who recommended Joe Nickell.  Another explanation is that someone is pulling a hoax on you (although this doesn’t fully fit your explanation). 
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/viewthread/6718/
The reason to get some experienced like Joe is that they know what to look for.

Posted: 20 July 2010 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

The leaking gas pipe idea may be on the right track. Hire a qualified home inspector to check the house, let them know you’ve been feeling unwell in the house. May be that low levels of radon, carbon monoxide, or other things are building up enough to cause symptoms, but not enough to cause such severe sickness that people suspect it.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 20 July 2010 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

TinaC, just to clarify: I think that most of us concede that what you describe you are experiencing is what your senses are actually telling you.  The goal here is to rule out mundane causes for hallucinations before drawing any other conclusions.

Here’s one mundane observation: houses creak at night quite commonly.  It’s caused by thermal expansion.  The house heats up during the day, some parts expand different than others to a slight degree, and at night, they cool down and shrink at slightly different rates, causing some parts of the house to creak.  Patterns of different parts of the house creaking in order can even repeat from night to night, because heat will leave the house in a similar manner from night to night.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 06 August 2010 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

B. define empirical evidence. Pleeeeeeeease. This is the argument that has been running around for years. Paranormal societies present skeptics with evidence you scoff with any number of often far more ridiculous rationalizations. The only logical conclusion is to define the evidence you will accept so I don’t waste my time. Your lack of experience and belief (or theory) is not my concern.

Empirical evidence would be something you can show someone else, for example a photograph of one of your gnomes, or audio recordings of the noises you hear at night.  That wouldn’t necessarily be “proof”, but it would be someplace to start.

Yours does sound like a very intriguing case, but I go along with the consensus.  There is no way we can make any kind of judgment solely based on what you tell us.  We would have to actually visit your house and see this for ourselves.  It sounds right up Joe Nickel’s alley, or Ben Radford’s.

Posted: 14 November 2010 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-10-17

Your experiences would be considered normal by people in Iceland.  They believe in elves or “Huldufólk” (Hidden Folk).  Road construction projects have been altered so as not go through area believed to be homes of Huldufólk.

This probably is not very helpful information.

[ Edited: 14 November 2010 06:50 PM by Tradition Of Progress ]
 Signature 

I Don’t Want My Country Back, I Want My Country Forward

Posted: 14 November 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Yet another good example of countries that are basically atheist, continuing to have other superstitious beliefs. Even if we were to get rid of all religions (an impossibility) we would still have superstitions.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 November 2010 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

Did Tina ever contact Nickel or Radford about this?  How about an update?

Posted: 15 November 2010 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
advocatus - 15 November 2010 08:32 AM

Did Tina ever contact Nickel or Radford about this?  How about an update?

I doubt it. We haven’t heard from her in four months. I got the feeling she was looking for justification for her beliefs, not rational inquiry.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 15 November 2010 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-10-17

Well, in that case then maybe the information about Icelanders believing in “Huldufólk” might be useful to her after all.  She could go to Iceland and make money as a medium. 

Of course this is not the best time of the year to go there.  The number of hours of daylight are very few, and soon there will be days when there is no sunlight at all.  It can be rather depressing.  Then again, maybe that makes for a greater market for those who can see and communicate with “Huldufólk”.

Signature 

I Don’t Want My Country Back, I Want My Country Forward

Posted: 15 November 2010 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Tradition Of Progress - 15 November 2010 06:31 PM

Well, in that case then maybe the information about Icelanders believing in “Huldufólk” might be useful to her after all.  She could go to Iceland and make money as a medium. 

Of course this is not the best time of the year to go there.  The number of hours of daylight are very few, and soon there will be days when there is no sunlight at all.  It can be rather depressing.  Then again, maybe that makes for a greater market for those who can see and communicate with “Huldufólk”.

LOL Create a need and fill it!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 November 2010 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Jules - 20 July 2010 05:32 AM

The leaking gas pipe idea may be on the right track. Hire a qualified home inspector to check the house, let them know you’ve been feeling unwell in the house.

Take a bottle of Windex ~ spray it along all the pipe joints ~ if any of it starts bubbling. . .
Get The Pro!  A.S.P.!   shock

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 18 November 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2010-11-18
DarronS - 12 July 2010 06:39 PM

I have hesitated posting my thoughts on this, but you asked “What does a true scientific skeptic expect from me?” so I will answer you.

You are suffering from hallucinations. Frankly, you need to see a psychiatrist.

Unfortunately this is the type of answer your going to get here. The idea of there being something in our world like you write about is such a foreign concept here that right away they assume you’re pathological or trying to hoax someone. The very idea that this is possible you could never get them to accept unless they were beat over the head with it and they actually experienced it themselves. Then of course they still wouldn’t believe it and would themselves go to a psychiatrist. If there something in your brain that says these things are “totally impossible”, then the getting an unbiased investigation would be “totally impossible”, and the investigation would be more to make things right in their world, make you look foolish and prove these things do not exist. As opposed to conduct an investigation to the best of the investigators ability find out what exactly is going on in your house, in the most unbiased, unassuming way possible. From what I read and see even Joe Nickels has bias. He is starting from the assumption that what you saw is just so totally impossible that the only thing that would change his mind would be him being taken up into the mothership itself while he holds two video cameras. On the other end of the spectrum if you told a priest about it he would tell you that you have demonic forces in your house.
The fact that your brother was seeing the same thing as you were is a good bet that Hallucinations aren’t your problem, that is assuming that everything you wrote is exactly what happened anyway.

I wish you were in the NY/NJ area I’d love to speak with you further. I’m a retired 23 year police detective. I now work with a bunch of investigators that try to the best of our ability to start from neutral territory and do an investigation and try to find out whats going on by investigating the facts that are present. Of course that doesn’t mean we would come to the conclusion that Bilbo Baggins and family are invading your home or that it was swamp gas reflecting off of Venus or some other ridiculous thing.
ch
I belong to some web paranormal sites to keep up on what’s going on in paranormal circles, and I come here to keep myself grounded in the real world. I’ve found out to no big surprise that there are extremists in both camps that I find horrifyingly close minded; people that just ignore things right in front of them that the average Joe would find perplexing.

I wish you luck in your fact finding, I hope everything works to make you more comfortable in the house. Feel free to contact me if you have a need.

[ Edited: 18 November 2010 11:39 AM by Ibby14 ]
 Signature 

Skeptics are always good, but Debunkers serve no purpose.

2 of 3