2 of 2
Tom Quinn - O Sweet Jesus
Posted: 29 July 2010 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Hardcore - 29 July 2010 06:23 AM

————-P.S.  Was it just me, or did the whole CFI website gets sucked into a black hole for a few days?

It did. And for hours before it happened, no one could post anything other than private messages.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 July 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I couldn’t even log in.  I thought I’d been banned.  Anyone know what happened?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 30 July 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Dead Monky - 30 July 2010 12:30 PM

I couldn’t even log in.  I thought I’d been banned.  Anyone know what happened?

Sounds like the start of a new thread!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 July 2010 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-07-24

Agreed.  As interesting as the “blackout” was (I, too, would like to know the cause), it’s really not relevant to the topic of Tom Quinn’s interview.

Asanta created a thread where people can voice their thoughts here.

*Updated with address of Asanta’s merged thread.  Sorry, didn’t see it right away.*

[ Edited: 02 August 2010 05:55 PM by Hardcore ]

Posted: 30 July 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Hardcore - 30 July 2010 03:10 PM

Agreed.  As interesting as the “blackout” was (I, too, would like to know the cause), it’s really not relevant to the topic of Tom Quinn’s interview.

I created a thread where people can voice their thoughts here.

LOL Unless mine has been deleted, I created one earlier in the general forum!

Signature 

Posted: 03 August 2010 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-03

“Toe Rag??” Ouch! That’s kinda harsh coming from a kindred spirit. In the Point of Inquiry interview, my criticism of atheists sometimes coming off like fundamentalists was a criticism of style rather than substance. I do not put both on the same level; atheists have a credibility (reason) which fundamentalists (wishful thinkers) do not. I was talking about the approach to criticism. One reason I wrote “What Do You Do with a Chocolate Jesus?” as a humorous book is because, too often, I’ve heard non-believers rail away at religion with righteous indignation and fury, and it’s a turn-off. I’ve been guilty of it myself. It’s obnoxious, even when I agree with every word they say. It immediately backs everyone into their defensive corners. I think humor helps pry open more minds than vitriol—people will hear you out. If done right, humor can disarm, and can keep a sense of good will even as we deconstruct deeply felt beliefs. Let’s not find adversaries where there are none. We agree on the God question. Ain’t that a beautiful thing?—TQ

Signature 

Thomas Quinn
Los Angeles

Posted: 03 August 2010 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-24

Sorry, I admit I misunderstood your intention.  My reaction was probably harsher than was warranted because I have heard statements like that before (almost verbatim) from apologists and accommodationalists; some of whom claim to be atheists or skeptics as if it gives them some kind of street cred when dealing with us *see rg21 earlier in the thread*.

Surely, you must agree that a certain amount of the “righteous indignation and fury” you speak of (which I am guilty of in my posts) is sometimes appropriate.  As you rightly mention, it is not the passion or vehemence with which an argument is delivered that really matters.  It is the information being conveyed and whether it is fact or fiction.

The main problem I had with your statement is the implication that the more outspoken anti-religionists have somehow been rude, angry, or obnoxious on average.  You make it sound like they’re simply screaming at theists without really saying anything.  This is a common myth perpetuated by the religious and their sympathizers when they want to demean the character of a speaker rather than counter their arguments.  With the exception of “less restrained” forum posters like myself, I have experienced the exact opposite of your inference.  Anybody I have witnessed publicly speak out against religion has been incredibly restrained, polite, and patient considering what they are discussing and who they are discussing it with.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, it seemed a bit to me like you were propping yourself up as the “good cop”, while relegating the others to the role of “bad cop”, in order to ingratiate yourself with the religious.  This kind of disingenuous opportunism is in very bad taste and I have seen it done many times before.  If this was not your intention then I apologize.

[ Edited: 03 August 2010 03:46 PM by Hardcore ]

Posted: 03 August 2010 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-03

No sweat. I’m not trying to be a “good cop” so much as an affable smart ass. (It’s a fine line to walk.) Believe me, the book doesn’t take prisoners when it comes to superstitions, higher powers, church history, or “eternal truths.” There’s plenty of fodder for the cause. I’m just trying to weigh in on all this in a way that will lure them in and entertain them rather than berate. But I’d never ask you to, ah, curb your enthusiasm. Passion counts. Skeptics need evangelists, too!

Signature 

Thomas Quinn
Los Angeles

Posted: 03 August 2010 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-24

Fair enough.

La-dee-da…..making the message longer….yippee!

2 of 2