Funny that no one ever expects ‘god’ to cure caries or near-sightedness..
Posted: 28 July 2010 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11

Oregon is just plain crazy not to prosecute these idiots and put a stop to this nonsense.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/susan_nielsen/index.ssf/2010/07/faith_healing_in_oregon_a_pict.html

Another couple from the Followers of Christ church in Oregon City stand accused of criminal mistreatment for deliberately withholding medical care from their child. Timothy and Rebecca Wyland of Beavercreek believe in treating sickness with prayer rather than medicine, even when prayer doesn’t work.
Their infant daughter, Alayna, has a serious eye problem, which they chose not to treat. Someone notified authorities and the state intervened, and now the Wylands are trying to regain custody of their daughter.

This (formerly) easily treated hemangioma, could eventually kill their daughter if left untreated…not just destroy the eye. Oregon has a religious exemption law which needs to be repealed. The sentences the parents receive are no deterrents for these loonies.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 July 2010 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4076
Joined  2006-11-28

Makes my jaw hurt from gritting my teeth! But, of course, alternative medicine is harmless, right?  Arrrrgggg!

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 28 July 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
mckenzievmd - 28 July 2010 06:37 PM

Makes my jaw hurt from gritting my teeth! But, of course, alternative medicine is harmless, right?  Arrrrgggg!

No, alternative medicine indicates a lack of trust in ‘god’. Ya gotta get down on yer knees and PRAY!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 July 2010 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

The cure to caries or near-sightedness is in the Old Testament; look for it.  It states in Douchebaggery (14:6-7), “Any true believer whose children suffer of caries or near-sightedness will pray for them and all will be well, if they are true believers.”

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 28 July 2010 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Chudwick - 28 July 2010 08:05 PM

The cure to caries or near-sightedness is in the Old Testament; look for it.  It states in Douchebaggery (14:6-7), “Any true believer whose children suffer of caries or near-sightedness will pray for them and all will be well, if they are true believers.”

Funny, it didn’t mention the dentists and ophthalmologists the fundies use….

Signature 

Posted: 30 July 2010 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

The Bible also says that you can play with snakes and drink poison and go unharmed.  And well we all know how many times the Snake Handlers get bit and killed so…..Yeah.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 01 August 2010 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-01

Your shared link is just made me so sensitive because there is a talk about a little child who have a serious problem. Really Oregon is unexpected thing of God. My research tells me that more than 20 Oregon children have died just because of treatable illnesses and those parents belong to the Followers of Christ church.

Signature 

Genius is an immense capacity for taking trouble

Posted: 12 February 2011 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

If I was that little girl, and grew up to learn that my eye-sight could have been corrected almost guaranteed - as opposed to knowing my parents did absolutely NOTHING to help me, I would disown them.

I think parents should exclude their children from any policies of their religion until the child is old enough to decided for themselves, if they want to partake or not.

Finding out that there could have been a choice that would have changed your life - after the fact? Id be SO mad. SO MAD

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 12 February 2011 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2007-06-20

These are not the “parents” mentioned in the original post above, but another couple of the Followers of Christ Church in Oregon, Dale and Shannon Hickman, charged with second-degree manslaughter in the faith-healing death of their newborn son.

Please notice that Shannon is wearing glasses!

FollowersofChristChurchMembersShannonandDaleHickman.jpg

So when this adult’s eyes go bad, it’s OK for her to get medical treatment resulting in glasses.  But when the poor baby Alayna May Wyland from the original post has eye problems, oh no, no medical treatment for the baby!  Let god fix the problem!  It’s beyond hypocrisy.  It’s child abuse!

Another thing to watch for in faith healing stories like these (besides the “parents” wearing glasses), is if you see them talk on TV, watch their mouths to see if they have any fillings in their teeth.  I’ve noticed it in the past.

Signature 

There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation.

—James Madison

Posted: 12 February 2011 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2011-02-05

Anyone ever seen this?

Why won’t God heal amputees?

Signature 

“Ah! How cheerfully we consign ourselves to Perdition!”
-Melville-

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”
-Pynchon-

Posted: 12 February 2011 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Great link smile

*bookmarked*

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 12 February 2011 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2011-01-17

I’ve wondered lately why no one ever reports hauntings by missing limbs and organs?

“Sheila lay half asleep in her bed, thinking of the diarama she had to help her son with the next day. Suddenly, the bed frame shook, rousing her violently. She sat bolt upright, thinking her 30 pound cat might be trying to get on the bed. She peered over the side, and lifted the bed skirt. There, oozing its way out from under her bed, and glowing a sickly, supernatural green, was the twenty pounds of fat she’d had liposuctioned out of her ass two years previously. It shimmered its revengeful intent at her. Sheila screamed and threw a Jenny Craig Weight loss brochure at it, but it just came at at her.”

Signature 

“You can tell me that it’s gospel but I know that it’s only church.”

Tom Waits

“I take a simple view of life. It is keep your eyes open and get on with it.”

Laurence Sterne