Little bit late but….
Posted: 01 August 2010 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-07-24

I’ve actually been floating around the CFI for several weeks now, so I don’t know if I’ve missed my window for this topic or not.

Little bit about me:

I live in a small town in Saskatchewan Canada where I work as what can most likely be equivocated to an office manager.  My family was non-religious, and my schools were uninfluenced by it, so I was fortunate enough to be raised without any kind of faith bias.  Growing up I believed that only old people and real nutters took religion seriously, that people today were reasonable and educated, and that religion as a whole was on the decline.  Yet, as I went to university and traveled a bit, I came to the sad realization that this was simply untrue.  Over time, I was exposed to more and more religious foolery and the disturbing refusal of everyday people to, as Sam Harris put it, “call a spade a spade”.  I witnessed the kinds of rationalization and excuse-making that I previously had only seen in parody and satire.  Only these people were apparently quite serious.

So now, after following the issues and fence-sitting for about 5 years, I’ve decided to plant my flag firmly in the anti-theist end of the spectrum.  That is, I don’t just believe that there is no sufficient evidence for a god or gods, I believe that religion is a harmful force that should be done away with altogether.

Of course, I know there would still be crime, suffering, and war if religion was eliminated.  However, religion is a catalyst.  It may not create these issues in all instances, but it does make them burn hotter, faster, and longer.

It is very heartening to me that there are institutions like the CFI dedicated to countering the unreason, dogma, and superstition that still plagues humanity despite all our hard-won progress.

Greetings, everyone!

Posted: 01 August 2010 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Glad to have you here, Hardcore. I’ll add a welcome to the CFI Forum, even if it is a bit late.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 August 2010 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Hardcore.  Glad to have you here.  I don’t know if religion can be done away with all together, at least not in our lifetime, but I do agree with you, it can be harmful, esp the more Fundamngelical kind.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

‹‹ New to the forum      Introducing Yourself ››