Absolutely impossible... 4
Total Votes: 38
You must be a logged-in member to vote
UFO/ET… How sceptic are you ?
Posted: 23 December 2011 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Intelligent life evolving upon another planet and somehow developing interstellar travel and visiting our planet, with the government successfully covering it up is not impossible, but it is highly unlikely.

Responding to an old post, but what the hell.

As vast as the universe is, I think it would be more incredible is intelligent life DIDN’T evolve somewhere. It happened here so one cannot make the case that it’s impossible.

Whether or not any of these people can or even had reason to try and come here is another matter. Personally, I don’t think there’s any way the government could cover it up if they had. For one thing, they would have to have ET’s co-operation to do this, and ET would is not likely to have a lot of reason to play ball with this if they don’t want to.

For another, there’s always going to be somebody around who’s going to spill the beans, if for no other reason then to serve a personal agenda or “The People’s Right To Knw.”

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 26 December 2011 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2011-09-13
AdrX - 04 August 2010 12:55 PM

How would you rate the possibility that some of the reported UFO sightings
might be real ET vehicles and or that some of the ET abductions might be
real ET abductions ?

The probability is so small I’m temped to say less than zero.

Posted: 15 January 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-01-10

UFOs are 100% real. Last Summer I was with a companion and we both saw an orb—a spot of light—high in the clear, blue skies. It hovered for a couple of minutes and then took off at an incredible acceleration that surpassed any craft I’ve witnessed. It made no noise and left no contrail. It looked like someone was reflecting the sun’s light through a piece of glass onto the sky like if it were a screen instead of an atmosphere. Were ETs driving it? I don’t know but suspect that if they are they come from another universe. Not our universe. They are from another dimension.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 15 January 2012 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05
LuckyBezel - 15 January 2012 09:27 AM

UFOs are 100% real. Last Summer I was with a companion and we both saw an orb—a spot of light—high in the clear, blue skies. It hovered for a couple of minutes and then took off at an incredible acceleration that surpassed any craft I’ve witnessed. It made no noise and left no contrail. It looked like someone was reflecting the sun’s light through a piece of glass onto the sky like if it were a screen instead of an atmosphere. Were ETs driving it? I don’t know but suspect that if they are they come from another universe. Not our universe. They are from another dimension.

That would be an Iridium flare, and I hope your comments were meant to be snarky*. Nothing extra dimensional here, just a special class of man-made satellite.

*Edit: After reading some of your posts I realize you were not trying to be funny, you actually believe things you do not understand have extraterrestrial, even extra dimensional, origin. You see a simple reflection off a satellite and decide to believe in a fantasy. I find that very sad.

[ Edited: 15 January 2012 10:05 AM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 15 January 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-10
DarronS - 15 January 2012 09:59 AM

That would be an Iridium flare, and I hope your comments were meant to be snarky*. Nothing extra dimensional here, just a special class of man-made satellite.

*Edit: After reading some of your posts I realize you were not trying to be funny, you actually believe things you do not understand have extraterrestrial, even extra dimensional, origin. You see a simple reflection off a satellite and decide to believe in a fantasy. I find that very sad.

If you find that very sad then you have a problem with your emotions which prevents your intellect from seeing things that are above your head.

I remarked that it hovered for a couple of minutes and then took off at a super high rate of a acceleration. Is that the behavior of an Iridium flare? At 4:00 P.M. on a clear summer day?

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

But you exemplify the multitudes. They simply are not ready emotionally to accept that life exists outside this world.

I am.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 15 January 2012 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-01-10
LuckyBezel - 15 January 2012 10:19 AM
DarronS - 15 January 2012 09:59 AM

If you find that very sad then you have a problem with your emotions which prevents your intellect from seeing things that are above your head.

I remarked that it hovered for a couple of minutes and then took off at a super high rate of a acceleration. Is that the behavior of an Iridium flare? At 4:00 P.M. on a clear summer day?

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

But you exemplify the multitudes. They simply are not ready emotionally to accept that life exists outside this world.

I am.

It looked like someone was reflecting the sun’s light through a piece of glass onto the sky

I meant it looked like someone was reflecting the sun’s light through a small mirror from the ground onto the sky.

grin

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 15 January 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Luckybezel, if they were from a different universe in different dimensions, don’t you think the god of our universe would be pissed off by creatures of a different god from their universe sneaking into ours?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 January 2012 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  2188
Joined  2007-04-26

UFO’s are absolutely real. There are plenty of objects in the sky that people through ignorance, lack of information, insufficient lighting, extreme distance, undisciplined imagination or too much alcohol could not identify. On the other hand if you are implying that they are ships manned by extraterrestrial beings we can unequivocally say that there is no evidence to support that conclusion.

It has nothing to do with a lack of willingness to accept the existence of alien beings. I for one would be ecstatic to learn that they exist and in fact I think the odds that we are the only intelligent species in the universe are infinitesimally small. Claiming that they have somehow overcome the immense technical hurdles to interstellar travel and after doing so have decided to do nothing but play peek a boo with us for 60 years is quite another thing though.  As Carl Sagan said extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Fuzzy photos, grainy videos and unverifiable stories do not qualify as extraordinary evidence.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 15 January 2012 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

And as Neil Tyson said, the ‘U’ stands for unidentified! You can’t then identify it as an alien spacecraft. Because that’s just stupid. (OK, I added the last part)  smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 14 March 2012 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2012-03-14

I think it is actually quite likely there is life outside our earth only on the basis of sheer numbers of stars. What it is and if it can travel on an interstellar basis is really just subjective at best.

Posted: 15 March 2012 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-03-15

I was always enchanted by such ideas. I would read whatever material I could on the subject, and many times was certain that extraterrestrial life has visited us.

But, I have no hard evidence to support such a thing. It’s a possibility, yes, but perhaps not a probability.

A major turn off for me with the extraterrestrial hypothesis was that so many people I met who shared similar views, also believed in far more extreme ones: 9/11 conspiracies, moon landing hoax, David Icke theories, Zackaria Sitchen (spelling?) theories, and blind faith that aliens were somehow involved with building the pyramids. This was far too radical for me. 

I was primarily interested in strange events such as the Phoenix Lights back in the 90s, the Bentwaters base incident, and interesting stories from airforce pilots from various countries: USA, England, France, Russia, etc. There is weird stuff going on in the sky, there’s videos and photographs of them, but its a leap to say it’s extraterrestrials piloting them. What I had noticed with many “believers” was that they weren’t really interested in investigating these events to find the cause; their mind was already made up that ETs were involved. And that wasn’t the kind of thinking I was willing to engage myself in.

But examining my life has led to some interesting conclusions about not only belief in ETs, but belief in everything.
The first time I had ever heard of “UFOs” or Alien Abductions, etc, was a show that came on when I was young. I was watching it with my father and right away he dismissed it. They hadn’t even aired anything yet! Just said the word “UFO” and my father instantly said it was military aircraft that people were misidentifying. This started a strange urge to prove my father wrong; I’m not sure why this is, a trait of my personality perhaps. But I always thought how awesome it would be if I could actually prove to my father that Aliens were real, and were coming here. I think this contributed to my solid conviction as a teenager that such things were a reality and that the Government was hiding EBEs in Area 51. I wonder how many believers-and not just about UFOs-have had a similar situation. Conviction to prove one person wrong, I think, can mature into a firmly held belief which won’t listen to alternative logic since the original goal was only to prove someone wrong.

Also, it’s appropriate to look at the effects of our cultural lexicon. Words like “UFO” “Cover-up” “Incident” “Contact” “Experience” “Visitor” all are very powerful because of cultural devices. We instantly conjure pictures in our mind when we hear this, and some people are willing to accept such mental images and stimulations as facts. A working title for a novel I’ve been working on has the word “Roswell” in it. Now the story takes place hundreds of years after the “Roswell” incident, and doesn’t deal with the famous event at all, but uses the name to conjure up suspicion and excitement, and I think it works quite well.

Signature 

experimental ambient composer
science fiction and fantasy writer
microtonal and fretless guitarist
http://www.ericjackonarts.com
http://www.microtonalist.com
http://www.ericjackson.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/ericjackson
http://www.youtube.com/ericjacksonarts

Posted: 15 March 2012 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

DSound, welcome and few words of advice. The color blue is reserved for moderators, you might want to change your links to another color. And I see this is your second post…we tend to look askance at newbies who post a lot of links—we get a LOT of spammers here,—until we ‘know’ you.. grin

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 March 2012 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
macgyver - 15 January 2012 01:12 PM

UFO’s are absolutely real. There are plenty of objects in the sky that people through ignorance, lack of information, insufficient lighting, extreme distance, undisciplined imagination or too much alcohol could not identify.

...... or perhaps because something totally weird and unprecedented is happening?

I’ve described my own UFO sighting elsewhere on this forum; but, briefly, a green, glowing disc, full-moon size, moving fairly quickly across a completely clear blue sky, and finally disappearing behind a mountain ridge about half a mile away. Not a toy balloon, not a frisbee, not Venus or a meteor or re-entering space debris or a hot-air balloon or a helicopter or a flight of geese or a hallucination; just a genuinely unidentified flying .... something. I hesitate to even call it an “object” in the ordinary sense. A very rare form of ball lightning? - unlikely, in a clear cloudless blue sky. Glowing sphere of plasma?? - how generated, from what source?? Alien spacecraft?? Something breaking through from a parallel Universe?? None of the “conventional” explanations seem to fit, so…. Idunno. I just don’t know.

I’ve seen several Iridium Flares, and I’ve never seen one that behaved like the sighting LuckyBezel described. Again .... I just don’t know.

I agree with DimensionalSound, that far too many UFO enthusiasts are also into totally bonkers - but nevertheless fascinating, in the same way that a train wreck is fascinating - areas of speculation like moon landing hoaxes, shapeshifting reptilian aliens masquerading as the British royal family, various conspiracy theories - you name it - but that seems to me to be a bit like guilt-by-association. Isaac Newton, for example, spent far more of his time on alchemy, and trying to derive the date of the Apocalypse by decoding hidden messages in the Books of Daniel and Revelations, than he ever spent on physics, but we would be foolish to therefore dismiss his gravitational theory.

It’s unfortunate that the inherent weirdness of the UFO phenomenon means that “serious” researchers are reluctant to touch the subject with a twenty-foot pole, let alone the regulation ten-footer; if just a few scientists, of the calibre of, say, Dr. J. Hynek, were to hold their noses and simply look at such evidence as exists - which is, admittedly, mostly anecdotal - we might end up surprising ourselves.

Theflyingsorcerer.

Posted: 18 March 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05
Theflyingsorcerer - 18 March 2012 10:20 AM

... if just a few scientists, of the calibre of, say, Dr. J. Hynek, were to hold their noses and simply look at such evidence as exists - which is, admittedly, mostly anecdotal - we might end up surprising ourselves.

Italics added. Anecdotal evidence proves nothing. Show me the physical evidence and I’ll pay attention.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 18 March 2012 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
DarronS - 18 March 2012 12:07 PM

Show me the physical evidence and I’ll pay attention.

Don’t ask for much, do you, DarronS?

Seriously, though; I know that anecdotal evidence, by itself, doesn’t prove much (I wouldn’t say it proves nothing;); but nowadays, when virtually everyone has access to Photoshop, photographic evidence doesn’t prove much either. And to many, even non-photoshopped photographs don’t “prove” anything. I read somewhere - I think it was in “Skeptical Inquirer” - someone claiming that a too-sharp photo image was “obviously” a hoax, because, well, because it was too sharp; probably a model. But then of course, if all you have is a photo of a fuzzy blob…. well, it’s just a fuzzy blob, it could be anything…..

I suppose three dents in the ground, at the vertices of an equilateral triangle, where eyewitnesses reported seeing a grounded UFO, don’t prove anything either; could have been just places where deer were resting. Elevated scintillometer readings or scorched tree trunks or broken twigs at such places, don’t prove anything either. Just coincidence. Sound recordings; too easy to fake. Conjunctivitis or sudden, inexplicable cases of sunburn, as reported by many close-encounterers and attested to by doctors; still no good? Radar returns? Gun camera videos?

I suppose what you really want, DarronS, is an actual piece of an actual flying saucer. But then, If I gave you a chunk of aluminum-magnesium-vanadium alloy, claiming it came from a saucer - I still can’t prove it, can I? I could have had a friendly foundryman cast it for me. Or, I’m actually a pretty sharp machinist, and I have my own home machine shop; I could very easily have made it myself.

I read somewhere that Carl Sagan once said - I don’t have the actual reference available to me at the moment - that he’d accept a specimen of material as of extraterrestrial manufacture if it contained elements not known on Earth. And I thought to myself - now, c’mon, Carl; you’re supposed to be an astronomer; don’t you know that it’s been shown spectroscopically that the same elements are distributed throughout the Universe? What are you talking about?

Even the greatest of us can say daft things at times.

So you see our problem, don’t you, DarronS? Nothing that we can possibly “show you”, will you accept as “evidence”. So it’s not too surprising that some of us who choose to treat the UFO phenomenon as an interesting field of study rather than just something to be quickly debunked and then ignored, get terribly frustrated at times when people claiming to be “skeptics” sneer at us and call us deluded, ignorant, uninformed, overly imaginative or drunk. Thanks, macgyver.

This thread asks the question, “how sceptic are you?” I would have to answer that I’m extremely sceptical, or skeptical, depending on which side of the Atlantic Ocean I happen to be on. I “believe” virtually nothing that I hear, and very little that I read. In particular, I believe nothing told to me by political, military and corporate spokesparrots, since lying seems to be a prime requirement for anyone in such positions. I suspect a great deal. I tend to trust my own observations over what other people tell me. And I’m extremely skeptical of overly facile pseudoexplanations of odd occurrences from people who weren’t there - what I call “armchair debunkery”.

I really like our friend macgyver’s signature: “For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,..... and just plain wrong.”

Theflyingsorcerer.

6 of 8