Hey from Kansas
Posted: 03 August 2006 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-08-01

Just joined this forum, but have been listening to Point of Inquiry podcasts since the beginning. Of all the podcasts I listen to, POI is one of the best.

I now live in Kansas, and, yes, there are atheists in KS. We actually have a secular humanist group, The Heartland Humanists, out here, although I am not a member ... yet. I’ve been thinking of joining, but haven’t acted on it yet. After listening to Lauren’s latest commentary, I’ve been giving it more thought again.

The latest news from Kansas is our primary election that we just had on Tuesday. As you probably know, we got overloaded on our school board with creationists, and they ended up changing the science standards to suit their wishes. On Tuesday, two of the four creationist spots were defeated. So now the count sits at 6-4 in favor of the pro-science group. We may be able to pick up one or two more seats when we have the general election. We can only hope! But at the very least, the board is now a majority of pro-science people that will do the right thing. So, good news from the prairie land.

Signature 

"Always minimize both actual and potential suffering; always maximize both actual and potential happiness."
~ Ebon Musings: The Atheism Pages ~

Posted: 03 August 2006 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Hi Stillwaters,

Yes, we’ve been reading about the difficulties you’re having in Kansas ... glad to hear there may be some light at the end of that tunnel. Although I do guess it will be an ongoing struggle for awhile.

And welcome!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 03 August 2006 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Re: Hey from Kansas

[quote author=“Stillwaters”]Just joined this forum, but have been listening to Point of Inquiry podcasts since the beginning. Of all the podcasts I listen to, POI is one of the best.

I now live in Kansas, and, yes, there are atheists in KS. We actually have a secular humanist group, The Heartland Humanists, out here, although I am not a member ... yet. I’ve been thinking of joining, but haven’t acted on it yet. After listening to Lauren’s latest commentary, I’ve been giving it more thought again.

The latest news from Kansas is our primary election that we just had on Tuesday. As you probably know, we got overloaded on our school board with creationists, and they ended up changing the science standards to suit their wishes. On Tuesday, two of the four creationist spots were defeated. So now the count sits at 6-4 in favor of the pro-science group. We may be able to pick up one or two more seats when we have the general election. We can only hope! But at the very least, the board is now a majority of pro-science people that will do the right thing. So, good news from the prairie land.”

Welcome Stillwaters!
I heard the good news about the two creationists losing their seats to pro-evolutionists. I hope more of them are replaced.
Good to have you with us.
Bob

Posted: 04 August 2006 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-01

Thanks, Doug & Bob,

Even though I’m happy with the outcome of the elections (i.e. the anti-science group losing at least two seats), I’m still disappointed with the turnout. It was reported that only something like 12-15% of the voters turned out to actually vote. This election could have gone either way if only more people would have actually given a damn about it.

It’s somewhat depressing when there’s so many people who don’t care. At least for the fundamentalists, one thing you can say is that they care about the issues, and do something about it. This election was a perfect opportunity for the moderates/liberals to express their feelings about the issues, and we get a 12% turn out. Pathetic, really.

Ideally, I would have liked to see the conservatives get creamed in the elections, with all of them losing their seats, but I have to settle with all relatively close races, and only 2 out of 4 actually losing. My hopes for this world seem to grow smaller every year. Of course, I’m realistic and know I’m living in Kansas, the reddest of the red states.

Signature 

"Always minimize both actual and potential suffering; always maximize both actual and potential happiness."

Posted: 04 August 2006 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

Is Kansas really reddest? I thought that dubious honor belonged to Utah ...

:?

That said, yes, election turnouts are often depressing. Part of the problem, I’m afraid, are apathetic or extremist liberals who think they’re doing a service by turning up their nose at the only liberal candidate who has a chance of winning. I think that’s called cutting off your nose to spite your face ...

Of course, the other part of the problem in this case is that very few citizens give a damn about science. They weren’t taught it competently, and don’t understand what it is or means. So when it comes time to do something, they shrug.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 04 August 2006 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

Doug & Stilwaters,
I remember an Ethical Culture leader speaking about how so many liberals don’t bother to vote because they they are under the impression that there is very little difference between the Republicans and the Democrats. He said in his address that that may be so but there is a difference.
I remember Paul Kurtz saying that it’s too bad that we have to vote for the lesser of two evils but that is what we have to do. And he is absolutely right.

Bob

Posted: 04 August 2006 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-03-31

Welcome Stillwater! I’m just a few hours north of you in Lincoln, Nebraska! Are you a part of any like-minded communities in your area? If so, we should compare notes! I’m trying to get some things started here.

Nebraska isn’t quite as red as Kansas, but it’s definitely bad enough to force most liberals and progressives to vote in the republican primaries just to have some sort of effect on the outcome.

Posted: 05 August 2006 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

Hi Still,

As you may notice from my name, I’m a Kansan.  I still say I live in Kansas even though I moved to KC, MO last year.  I am 50 feet from Kansas and I work in Kansas, so that counts.

Where in KS are you?  I’m interested in joining a group here as well. 

Jayhox

Posted: 05 August 2006 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-03-31

Hello Jay!  I haven’t visited KSC very often, but I might make a trip down there now and then. If you’d like, I could let you know when I’ll be in the area and perhaps we could plan a lunch or something to discuss where we are with building our Midwest CFI communities!

Posted: 06 August 2006 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

Arkaro,

Please do.  I’d be interested in seeing what’s happening.  In the Skeptical Inquirer, there’s a Kansas City contact for a local group; I’ve written twice (snail mail- there wasn’t an e-mail address), but have gotten no response.  I’m assuming it’s inactive.

PM me anytime.

Posted: 06 August 2006 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-08-01

Hi Arkaro and Jayhox,

The humanist community mainly based in KCMO would be The Community of Reason . The one based mainly in KS, I’m guessing Overland Park, is The Heartland Humanists . I’ll let you check out their websites for more info. fyi - Heartland Humanists just changed their website quite a bit recently. From their old website, the membership dues were $100 annually, payable quarterly, if desired. I don’t know if their dues are still the same or not. Community of Reason just reduced their membership dues to $30 annually to attract more members. You should be able to find contact email addresses on those sites, also.

I live just outside of Johnson County, on the south side. But I do work in KCMO. And I don’t belong to either of these groups, although, like I said, I’ve been thinking about it more lately.

I’m thinking there was another group, but can’t remember their name right now. Maybe that’s the one that you mailed to, and isn’t active anymore. I’m sure neither group is very big, considering it’s the conservative prairieland. So, either one would more than welcome any new members, I’m sure.

Also, The Heartland Humanists have a radio program, called “the Voice of Reason”. It’s on KKFI, 90.1 FM, each week from 6 - 7:00 PM on Wednesday. I don’t think you can get their signal in Lincoln, but it’s all over the KC metro area.

Signature