Total Posts:  152
Joined  2010-05-27

“In my experience, most liberals want power and don’t give a damn about truth.”

Do I want power?

Posted: 15 August 2010 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  472
Joined  2007-06-08

Very good interview Chris.  This is exactly the kind of examination and critique of social rationality that I hope CFI continues to bring to a dialogue.

Posted: 16 August 2010 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2009-05-28

As I said, I hear very little of Beck and I haven’t been able to hear Limbaugh in years. But conservatives are people like William F. Buckley, Russell Kirk, Barry Goldwater, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, George Will, and many others of that sort. Liberals, of course, pick less classy, less intellectual, and more entertainment and popular culture-youth oriented examples and make them a straw man. Myself, when I think of the liberal attitude toward truth, I think of Bill Clinton, not to mention the thugs I knew in the New Left movement in the late 60’s, the same types that entirely populate the current administration.

Posted: 16 August 2010 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-07-05

Frankly I don’t see why politics shouldn’t be covered on PoI. What Glenn Beck does is what PoI talks about, because he’s an icon of irrationality, just like Ken Ham or Sylvia Browne or Andrew Wakefield or Deepak Chopra.

And Mooney’s question wasn’t “Why isn’t irrational leftist talk radio as big as irrational conservative talk radio?” but “Why isn’t liberal talk radio as big as conservative talk radio?” No modifiers. Looking at our current level of political discourse, I think a disinterested observor would have to conclude that conservatives are responsible for the lion’s share of irrational thinking, or at least are much more visible.

Posted: 16 August 2010 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

According to my dad, who listens to a lot of talk radio, they have tried launching left wing talk radio shows, but they never take hold.  The audience is just too intrinsically conservative.

[ Edited: 16 August 2010 02:14 PM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 16 August 2010 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I finally listened to the interview (good job Chris!), and it’s scarier than I thought! It makes me frightened for the future of our country.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 August 2010 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-09-03

Listened to it this morning.

I really liked the Deborah Blum Poisoner’s Handbook interview and I bought the book—am reading it now.  Would very much like more interviews like that one.

This topic on the other hand dragged for me.  I had no interest in Glenn Beck and have never watched or listened to his show. 

It seemed at points that rather than disputing facts, Zaitchik was too often digging up personal stuff like Beck calling someone up and saying over-the-top inconsiderate things, or pointing out that over the years people who get to know him think he’s a jerk.

Posted: 16 August 2010 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jackson - 16 August 2010 03:48 PM

Listened to it this morning.

I really liked the Deborah Blum Poisoner’s Handbook interview and I bought the book—am reading it now.  Would very much like more interviews like that one.

I read the book after listening to the interview. I was a great, though provoking book.

This topic on the other hand dragged for me.  I had no interest in Glenn Beck and have never watched or listened to his show. 

It seemed at points that rather than disputing facts, Zaitchik was too often digging up personal stuff like Beck calling someone up and saying over-the-top inconsiderate things, or pointing out that over the years people who get to know him think he’s a jerk.

Unfortunately, that jerk is out in the real world, affecting our country and lives. I’m not sure what we can do to counter him, I hope The Peter Principle comes into play soon in the same way it worked to topple McCarthy.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 August 2010 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2007-06-08
rg21 - 15 August 2010 07:19 PM

Conservatives in general want the truth. In my experience, most liberals want power and don’t give a damn about truth.

Really?  In my experience it’s been the opposite.

Posted: 16 August 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

In my experience it’s been a mixture of the two.

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2007-06-08
Dead Monky - 16 August 2010 05:30 PM

In my experience it’s been a mixture of the two.

Seems way more one-sided to me.  I think that was a point in the podcast too.

Posted: 16 August 2010 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-08-02

I’d say it is more of a mixture too.  For every ignorant conservative, I could show you an ignorant liberal.

Posted: 16 August 2010 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Indeed.  Ignoring the faults and corruption among your own group is just as dangerous as ignoring that from from outside it.

Signature 

Posted: 16 August 2010 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-08-16

Being new here and not knowing what to expect, I find exactly what I predicted-politics is not easily argued without someone calling another poster “stupid” and one side and the other declaring their “truths” superior to their oppositions “truths”. All I have read reminds me of a religious argument. Are both sides willing to admit that their judgement is just as clouded as their oppositions?  I counted about 10 logical fallacies in the first page alone. Logical fallacies used to accuse others of logical fallacies. Nice work folks. Guess I should have lurked for a few more weeks until this garbage fell off the forum. 

I count myself a Bob Price/Brian Dunning style conservative. I listen to Beck every morning on my way to work. Is he right? No. His “retcon” of the USA’s founding fathers religious beliefs makes me sick to my stomach. I get the same feeling when I watch Oberlund or Maddow spout their garbage about social justice. I watch them every night thanks to my liberal chemistry teacher wife. 

Now, my most earnest wish is that skepticism stays as apolitical as possible.  I have voted libertarian for 24 years. I am as political as anyone. Can we please point our refined intellects at the degradation of science education or the advance of the “new” ID movement and other topics?  Politics and intellect really don’t mix well. Thank you for reading this.

Posted: 16 August 2010 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
templarboy - 16 August 2010 09:50 PM

Being new here and not knowing what to expect, I find exactly what I predicted-politics is not easily argued without someone calling another poster “stupid” and one side and the other declaring their “truths” superior to their oppositions “truths”. All I have read reminds me of a religious argument. Are both sides willing to admit that their judgement is just as clouded as their oppositions?  I counted about 10 logical fallacies in the first page alone. Logical fallacies used to accuse others of logical fallacies. Nice work folks. Guess I should have lurked for a few more weeks until this garbage fell off the forum.

I’m glad you could look at a small sampling of the forum and extrapolate to the entire forum. grin We certainly wouldn’t want to keep someone here who didn’t feel they belonged. I’m sure the rest of the forum will be just as uninteresting and full of logical fallacies. It couldn’t possibly be a case of anomalous bickering among members (half of them new). Of course as the only libertarian here…(not)
BTW, I listen to Brian Dunning’s podcast too, libertarians aren’t his only fans. wink
Thanks for reading!

Signature 

2 of 7