“When a sampling of non-Christians were asked to rate eleven groups in terms of respect, they rated evangelicals tenth.  Only prostitutes ranked lower
Posted: 17 August 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Man, this article is just chock full of fun facts.

“There are more than twice as many atheists and nonbelievers as there are evangelical Christians.”
“One study showed that wives in traditional, male-dominated marriages were three times more likely to be beaten than wives in egalitarian marriages.”
“While evangelical women make up at least 3.5% of the population, they make up about 20% of the women who get abortions.”

[ Edited: 17 August 2010 07:52 PM by Dead Monky ]
 Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 17 August 2010 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

That’s okay, right after ‘god’ bites the dust, homeopathy and acupuncture will be elevated to godlike positions in people’s lives. China and Japan are traditionally pretty godless, but they still have many superstitious beliefs.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 August 2010 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28
Dead Monky - 17 August 2010 07:40 PM

Link

Man, this article is just chock full of fun facts.

“There are more than twice as many atheists and nonbelievers as there are evangelical Christians.”
“One study showed that wives in traditional, male-dominated marriages were three times more likely to be beaten than wives in egalitarian marriages.”
“While evangelical women make up at least 3.5% of the population, they make up about 20% of the women who get abortions.”

looks like the US might be starting to join the rest of the developed world.

Posted: 18 August 2010 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Too bad atheists are still the most hated minority in the country, huh?

Signature 

Posted: 19 August 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2010-08-14
Dead Monky - 18 August 2010 11:28 AM

Too bad atheists are still the most hated minority in the country, huh?

I’m not sure they are quite the ‘most hated’. I think the gay community and the ethnic minority communities probably have some claim there. Whatever animosity there is for the non believers in the US it hasn’t spilled over in to frequent violence.

Posted: 19 August 2010 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  5166
Joined  2010-06-16

Bettervalue, did you even check the link, D_M listed?  Your statement indicates that you disagree with the polling data.
What basis do you have for that?  What evidence can you present for your comment?  Could you check the link, find the
flaws in their polling method and state them for us?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 August 2010 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2010-08-14
Occam. - 19 August 2010 05:36 PM

Bettervalue, did you even check the link, D_M listed?  Your statement indicates that you disagree with the polling data.
What basis do you have for that?  What evidence can you present for your comment?  Could you check the link, find the
flaws in their polling method and state them for us?

Occam

This is heading for a very silly exchange. So yes I did visit the link not that any of it was novel to me, ‘the God delusion’ if I remember correctly references several such polls. I’m not trying to claim a monopoly for any minority group as ‘the most hated’ which is why I posted in the first place as I oppose that type of behaviour. And it is unfortunate that people prejudice against any minority group including atheists. Yes polls can be used invariably as an indicator and we can glean certain trends. We do have lots of other data such as the record of physical violence against ethnic minorities or homosexuals. Its usually not useful to make broad conclusive statements regarding the polls.
Just as a side point ‘hate’ is going to have some sort of subjective appraisal. I don’t constitute not wanting an atheist president as ‘hate’ or not looking favourably on atheism as hate. I do consider repeated events of battering, stabbing and killing a person for their sexuality to be almost certainly motivated by hate. 

In response to the flaws in the polling method don’t be silly your a grown up do your own thinking raspberry - see how that works?

Posted: 20 August 2010 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2009-01-28
bettervalue - 19 August 2010 07:00 PM

[ And it is unfortunate that people prejudice against any minority group including atheists. Yes polls can be used invariably as an indicator and we can glean certain trends. We do have lots of other data such as the record of physical violence against ethnic minorities or homosexuals. Its usually not useful to make broad conclusive statements regarding the polls.
Just as a side point ‘hate’ is going to have some sort of subjective appraisal. I don’t constitute not wanting an atheist president as ‘hate’ or not looking favourably on atheism as hate. I do consider repeated events of battering, stabbing and killing a person for their sexuality to be almost certainly motivated by hate. 

anti-atheist prejudice - “hate”, call it what you will - doesn’t usually escalate into actual physical violence, but is also more likely to be implicit and ingrained in the mainstream.  it is much more socially accepted still to think that atheists are immoral or un-american.  public attitudes toward atheists have never been over 50% favorable - despite increasing acceptance of other minority groups.

more info on anti atheist discrimination

[ Edited: 20 August 2010 09:25 AM by skuld ]

Posted: 20 August 2010 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

People may not get as violent toward atheists simply because they haven’t been linked to sex yet.  Black men will run off with your white women, or some such bullshit.  And gay men are just waiting to sneak up behind you and bugger you in the supermarket.  Figure out a way to negatively link atheists to sex and violence may ensue.  Of course, I’m just ‘theorizing’ here, by which I mean talking out my ass, so make of it what you will.

Signature 

Posted: 20 August 2010 11:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5166
Joined  2010-06-16

How about - atheist men have a special power to cause wives to have very hot affairs with them?  If that gets spread around, three things will happen:  1) Married males will try to keep their wives away from any guy who is an atheist; 2) Women will be seeking out atheist guys; 3) A great many guys who were formerly christian will be claiming they are atheists.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 August 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2009-01-28
Occam. - 20 August 2010 11:44 PM

How about - atheist men have a special power to cause wives to have very hot affairs with them?  If that gets spread around, three things will happen:  1) Married males will try to keep their wives away from any guy who is an atheist; 2) Women will be seeking out atheist guys; 3) A great many guys who were formerly christian will be claiming they are atheists.  LOL

Occam

lol funny.  the way i see it, anti-atheist discrimination typically is based on two “rationales”:  1) atheism is fundamentally immoral and will corrup your children; and 2) atheism = communism and/or is just plain un-american.

Posted: 21 August 2010 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

atheism = communism and/or is just plain un-american

That may be closer to the truth than you think.  It’s basically why we have “Under God” on our money and in the Pledge of Allegiance.

BTW, that was pretty good, Occam.

Signature