Remembering Robert Ingersoll
Posted: 11 August 2006 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2006-08-01

Saw this blog, and wanted to share…

Happy Birthday, Robert Ingersoll!

[quote:4ba2143ac0] As far as most people are concerned, the 11th of August has no special significance. But atheists, freethinkers and skeptics everywhere should recognize it as a very special and significant date indeed. For on this day, we commemorate the birth of the most famous freethinker that most Americans have never heard of, the most fearless and possibly the most eloquent defender of nonbelief in our nation’s great and storied history - the illustrious Robert Green Ingersoll.[/quote:4ba2143ac0]

Signature 

"Always minimize both actual and potential suffering; always maximize both actual and potential happiness."
~ Ebon Musings: The Atheism Pages ~

Posted: 12 August 2006 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Thanks for noting that, Stillwaters. I didn’t know a thing about Ingersoll until reading about him in Susan Jacoby’s marvelous book Freethinkers. Subsequently I’ve read several of his works and enjoyed them all.

Happy (belated) birthday to Robert Ingersoll. Wish there were another like him alive today!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 12 August 2006 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

I also would like to wish Robert Ingersoll a belated Happy Birthday.
Bob

Posted: 18 August 2006 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2005-06-28

I also would like to wish Robert Ingersoll a belated Happy Birthday.
I am about to read Freethinkers, i guess i will like reading it alot, sounds like ofcoarse.

Signature 

Fighting the evil belief that there is a god(s).

Posted: 19 August 2006 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

Famous for standing in a pulpit in a church with his ubiquitous watch in hand shouting out something like: “If there is a God let him strike me dead in the next 30 seconds” and then he’d stand there holding the watch while the seconds counted down.

Funny things one remembers from childhood, I recall my mother not letting me learn about him and Bertrand Russell and one more person who was a sort of body builder and atheist, married a bunch of times, whose name I can’t recall.

Anyone remember that person?
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)