1 of 6
Burning the Koran
Posted: 07 September 2010 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07

From the Dove Outreach Center….

“On 9/11/10 we are burning Korans to raise awareness and warn. In a sense it is neither an act of love nor of hate. We see, as we state in the Ten Reasons below, that Islam is a danger. We are using this act to warn about the teaching and ideology of Islam, which we do hate as it is hateful. We do not hate any people, however. We love, as God loves, all the people in the world and we want them to come to a knowledge of the truth. To warn of danger and harm is a loving act. God is love and truth. If you know the truth it can set you free. The world is in bondage to the massive grip of the lies of Islam. These are:”

I don’t want to link the site. You can search it out for yourself if so inclined.

[ Edited: 07 September 2010 09:48 AM by Gnostikosis ]

Posted: 07 September 2010 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Those people are counterproductive douchebags.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 07 September 2010 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  152
Joined  2010-05-27

That was my first reaction too.  But it is interesting to contrast ones opinion on this with ones opinion on the south park drawing of Muhammad (and subsequent censoring).  I concluded what we really needed was a “Burn all Symbols” day.  Burn it all in one big fire, every national flag, every sacred religious symbol or text, every symbol of human division.  Get it all together and burn it at once!

Posted: 07 September 2010 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

That would go over well.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
qutsemnie - 07 September 2010 10:46 AM

That was my first reaction too.  But it is interesting to contrast ones opinion on this with ones opinion on the south park drawing of Muhammad (and subsequent censoring).  I concluded what we really needed was a “Burn all Symbols” day.  Burn it all in one big fire, every national flag, every sacred religious symbol or text, every symbol of human division.  Get it all together and burn it at once!

I could support that. The draw a Mohammed day was completely different. It was not meant to demean. It was just to show how silly the prohibition is. If I were to draw a picture on a public place of someone I know named Mohammed, they would have to deface it, because it MIGHT be the prohibited figure of ‘allah’. And it is only prohibited in certain cultures, it is not enforced in all islamic countries, and some countries have very elaborate and beautiful pictures of ‘Mohammed’. Just another reason for them to fight amongst themselves. Specifically burn korans, that is just inflaming rhetoric and accomplishes nothing.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 September 2010 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-10-05
Dead Monky - 07 September 2010 09:38 AM

Those people are counterproductive douchebags.

Yep. General Petraeus agrees.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 07 September 2010 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I’ve read a bit about that.  And about how the growing anti-Muslim xenophobia in this country is doing nothing but helping al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups recruit new members.  Oh well.  Rationality isn’t exactly a human strong suit.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2010 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07

Heard the Rev on the radio saying this is partly a response to the Mosque at “ground zero”. Guy’s in Florida stirring up trouble.

Small group I suppose however now it’s got media attention so represents America to the most of the Middle East?

I watch these things happening and “fear” the direction the world seems to insist in heading.

Eventually the insane minority will sweep up even the sane in their fear and wars and nothing much can be done except watch and comment… and hope my prediction wrong.

Have we really progressed that much in the last 2000 years? When push comes to shove, how civil will people be?

Religion, religion… I have no interest in it’s authority however the world seems driven by it.

Posted: 07 September 2010 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

We’re always on the brink of collapse.  Or at least everyone thinks we are.

Signature 

Posted: 07 September 2010 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-10-05
Gnostikosis - 07 September 2010 02:38 PM

Heard the Rev on the radio saying this is partly a response to the Mosque at “ground zero”. Guy’s in Florida stirring up trouble…

Religion, religion… I have no interest in it’s authority however the world seems driven by it.

I agree with your take on religion, and the religious/Tea Partiers keep calling it a “Mosque at Ground Zero” when it is neither. Couldn’t stir up emotions if they told the truth, though.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 07 September 2010 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

Burning Muslim holy books, come on!  More harm has been done under the name of Christianity than burning paper.  Just chill out!

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 07 September 2010 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Gnostikosis - 07 September 2010 02:38 PM

Heard the Rev on the radio saying this is partly a response to the Mosque at “ground zero”. Guy’s in Florida stirring up trouble.

I would hazard a guess that the good Rev has never even been to NYC, and doesn’t actually know how close, or far the planned community center would be from the ‘hallowed ground’. Do they suppose that there were no muslim victims in the WTC?...of course not, someone called all of them the day before and warned them not to go to work!  Why would they think the strip club in view of ‘ground zero’  would be more ‘respectful’ than a community center in a shuttered boarded up block of buildings.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 07 September 2010 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

Come on, if they were just going to do that as their own protest they wouldn’t have publicized it at all.  In reality, this has nothing to do with christianity or islam.  It’s all about some sleazy minister hoping to get a ton of contributions to his website and possibly pick up more members to his presently only 80 member tiny church.

I’ll bet that because of all the negative press, he’ll claim that they prayed and got the word of god that they shouldn’t do it.  But, you can be damned sure he won’t return the contributions.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 September 2010 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 07 September 2010 08:23 PM

I’ll bet that because of all the negative press, he’ll claim that they prayed and got the word of god that they shouldn’t do it.

I’m not sure he has that amount of self preservation

But, you can be damned sure he won’t return the contributions.
Occam

All for the goodness of god, of course! vampire

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2010 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting Asanta: 

I’m not sure he has that amount of self preservation

I think either the police or fire chief notified him that without a burning or fire permit, any uncontrolled burning, regardless of fuel, is illegal.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 September 2010 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Maybe they should just hit the books with their shoes. Who needs fire?

1 of 6