Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 08 September 2010 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 08 September 2010 09:16 AM

Maybe they should just hit the books with their shoes. Who needs fire?

As long as they know to hit with the soles of the shoes! They can get more mileage out of it..they can reuse the same korans day after day after day!! This ‘minister’ has been disavowed/disowned by his own children, who say he was kicked out of his last church for stealing from the till.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 September 2010 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
asanta - 08 September 2010 01:34 PM
George - 08 September 2010 09:16 AM

Maybe they should just hit the books with their shoes. Who needs fire?

As long as they know to hit with the soles of the shoes! They can get more mileage out of it..they can reuse the same korans day after day after day!! This ‘minister’ has been disavowed/disowned by his own children, who say he was kicked out of his last church for stealing from the till.

That’s okay Asanta… Gawd told him to do it, so all is well. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 08 September 2010 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

What amazes me is that everyone is focused on the wrong things - separation of church and state, or First Amendment rights.  A much easier way to handle this is to recognize that his threat has already put both U.S soldiers and U.S. civilians in grave danger.  As such he should immediately be locked up for treason.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2010 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

As I understand Supreme Court rulings (which admittedly is not much) speech that inspires violence is not protected. Also, the guy does not have a burn permit. With any luck the local police will arrest this idiot before he starts another jihad.Then the local DA can proceed with treason charges. Does treason still carry the death penalty?

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 08 September 2010 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I can see it now….put the idiot behind bars and ‘prove’ Obama is a muslim! All of the quackpot loonie teapotters will then rally behind him and make him their hero/martyr/saint!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 September 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It can be the local police chief who arrests him, or if he had any cojones, the Republican governor of Florida could order it.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 08 September 2010 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
One thing that makes me mad/sad/frustrated/enraged is that, yet again, ALL of this comes down to people who attempt to justify their promises of violence by the mere fact that they’re ‘offended’.

I, of course, realize that practically speaking, we must treat it as a ‘given’, but I can’t tell you how much I HATE the fact that we have to.  Yes, we could easily supply a valid explanation as to why such a reaction isn’t justifiable and shouldn’t be tolerated…....but ‘reasoning’ is basically irrelevant here, isn’t it?

Sad, sad…....

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 09 September 2010 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
Axegrrl - 08 September 2010 11:20 PM

`
One thing that makes me mad/sad/frustrated/enraged is that, yet again, ALL of this comes down to people who attempt to justify their promises of violence by the mere fact that they’re ‘offended’.

I, of course, realize that practically speaking, we must treat it as a ‘given’, but I can’t tell you how much I HATE the fact that we have to.  Yes, we could easily supply a valid explanation as to why such a reaction isn’t justifiable and shouldn’t be tolerated…....but ‘reasoning’ is basically irrelevant here, isn’t it?

Sad, sad…....

`

I was thinking the same thing. Someone burning a book has no affect on me. I couldn’t care less. However people are taught through religion to take offense at the event and we have to deal with the reality of that.

I would like to be the first to preach tolerance, however a religion (any religion) that teaches people to be offended by what someone else does which does no direct real harm to them? To the point of being willing to kill and destroy property?

So we abandon the principle of free speech because of the reaction caused by religious teachings? I mean how much of our principles do we abandon to pacify the religiously offended?

Jones is an idiot however in the US he has a right to burn the Koran. Do we continue to support free speech whatever the cost or do we let religion continue to dictate what is right and wrong?

Posted: 09 September 2010 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2010-06-07
DarronS - 08 September 2010 06:33 PM

As I understand Supreme Court rulings (which admittedly is not much) speech that inspires violence is not protected. Also, the guy does not have a burn permit. With any luck the local police will arrest this idiot before he starts another jihad.Then the local DA can proceed with treason charges. Does treason still carry the death penalty?

So if Christians go on a rampage killing abortion doctors because of a pro-choice speech?

Posted: 09 September 2010 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05
Gnostikosis - 09 September 2010 09:49 AM

So if Christians go on a rampage killing abortion doctors because of a pro-choice speech?

I used the wrong word above. I should have used “advocates” instead of “inspires.”

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 09 September 2010 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-06-07
DarronS - 09 September 2010 10:05 AM
Gnostikosis - 09 September 2010 09:49 AM

I used the wrong word above. I should have used “advocates” instead of “inspires.”

A religious leader that advocates(promotes?) violence.

This preacher says he does not advocate violence. According to him it is a protest against the violence of 9/11.

He is not advocating violence. The individual Islamic leaders are. Which are in another country and we can’t prosecute.

He personally is not telling anyone to commit violence. However his actions will cause others to.

The exception to free speech example is yelling “fire” in a crowded theater. There maybe an argument there.

However, if in equating Islam to a crowded theater scenario then any radical religious teachings can be used as a limiting factor to free speech. Religion gains power that can be used against free speech.

Posted: 09 September 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

Hey, did anyone see Jon Stewart’s take on this last night?  He was spot-on, as usual.

Daily Show from 9.08

Posted: 09 September 2010 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  4576
Joined  2008-08-14

Exactly Gnostikosis. I say let him burn them. Are we all supposed to cower and restrict our demonstrative applications because of “a possible violent backlash” from religious extremists?
So if muslim initiated violence happens after this preachers demonstration we can blame the preacher not the whacko suicide murderers who know no boundaries?
Should I stop eating pork chops now?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 09 September 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Sam Harris needs to hurry up with the invention of his moralmeter to tell us if the pastor should be allowed to burn the books. In the meantime I am with Vyazma: let him burn them.

2 of 6