6 of 6
Burning the Koran
Posted: 22 September 2010 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
domokato - 22 September 2010 11:21 AM
Gnostikosis - 22 September 2010 09:22 AM

What I heard today was the Pastor didn’t agree with Obama but felt he couldn’t stand up against the pressure the administration was applying.

I call BS on him. What pressure? Appeals to reason and national security?

(Personally, I would appeal to not being a hypocritical douche)

Whether true or not in this specific incident I think it is reasonable to suggest that powerful people can apply pressure without it being physical! I’m not even American and I think it would be quite daunting to go up against Clinton & Obama in what would probably amount to a war of words.

Keke

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 22 September 2010 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I imagine what really happened was that he started getting a LOT of death threats from ‘outraged’ muslims, and is trying to placate them while saving face. After all, the woman who suggested a simple ‘draw Muhammed day’ is still in hiding from death threats. He is just foisting off the blame.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 22 September 2010 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, I think he has too much ego to be frightened of death threats.  More likely, he expected to get a whole batch of positive publicity and contributions from the anti-moslem press and citizens.  He wasn’t expecting the much greater negative publicity he got, and the fact that his website was closed by the supplier.  I believe that’s why he backed off.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 September 2010 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
Kyuuketsuki UK - 22 September 2010 12:37 PM

I think it is reasonable to suggest that powerful people can apply pressure without it being physical!
I’m not even American and I think it would be quite daunting to go up against Clinton & Obama in what would probably amount to a war of words.

Keke

Oh, give me a break, that’s exactly what he is/was looking for.

[ Edited: 22 September 2010 08:24 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 22 September 2010 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2008-02-24
citizenschallenge.pm - 22 September 2010 08:05 PM
Kyuuketsuki UK - 22 September 2010 12:37 PM

I think it is reasonable to suggest that powerful people can apply pressure without it being physical!
I’m not even American and I think it would be quite daunting to go up against Clinton & Obama in what would probably amount to a war of words.

Keke

Oh, give me a break, that’s exactly what he is/was looking for.

It IS daunting to go up against people like that (hell it’s daunting enough to go up against my far more verbally able wife let alone someone backed by the entire US state machinery) and that was my only point.

Keke

Signature 

Kekerusey

“Keye’ung lu nì‘aw tì‘eyng mìkìfkey lekye’ung”
(Insanity, the only answer in a world insane!)

Atheists’s Heaven *** “Science, Just Science” Campaign *** Geekanology UK

Posted: 06 October 2010 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  352
Joined  2008-04-24
DarronS - 08 September 2010 06:33 PM

As I understand Supreme Court rulings (which admittedly is not much) speech that inspires violence is not protected. Also, the guy does not have a burn permit. With any luck the local police will arrest this idiot before he starts another jihad.Then the local DA can proceed with treason charges. Does treason still carry the death penalty?

Dude, you can’t be serious.  The 1st Amendment is precisely to protect unpopular speech (and expressions thereof).  The resulting “violence” isn’t the measure of whether or not it’s protected.  MLK’s marches incited violence (which in turn, inspired people to more closely look at the racist behavior that caused that violence). 

Your supplication to Islam, through political correctness, is exactly what they are aiming at.  So now, the only standard is “they might be violent” if we do this? (X)???

I’ve thought, what if I took a picture of someone burning the Koran, and posted it saying “This is a good thing”...should I be arrested?  Should I be murdered?  How about a fatwa, like on someone who say, writes a book that criticizes Islam? 

All of you (liberal) secular humanists are missing the point.  THERE IS NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT ISLAM except for your reaction to it.  If this was a guy burning a bible or an American flag, or dipping the “piss christ” you not only wouldn’t care, you’d be supporting him. 

Listen closely to those that have fled Islam (and have warrants on their heads), the extremists are banking on you doing exactly what you are doing.  Bit by bit, they are achieving their goal of banning what they call ‘defamation’ of Islam. 

Darron, when they win over a guy like you, on this issue, we are doomed.  Every time we turn around, now and in the future, it will be “but this will be a recruiting tool for Al-Queda”...“oh, don’t do that, that will really piss off young muslim men”, etc etc etc.  So we live our lives based on what “Islam” might “do” to us?  (not to mention, what “islam” in foreign countries, people outside of this nation, think of us?).

It has already started, but you watch, in the coming years…eventually it will be “how DARE a judge say we cannot lash our daughter for being in a car with a man who was not her brother at 10 a.m.”  Coming soon to Detroit, Patterson, NJ, etc (soon to be “no go” zones).

F#%K ! ! !  wake up my liberal friends.  wake up

Signature 

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick (Democrat):

“It’s a free country; I wish it weren’t, but it’s a free country.” when speaking of a rally on the Capitol.

Posted: 06 October 2010 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  4621
Joined  2007-10-05

Ulsterscots, after posting that I thought about it and you are right. I succumbed to group think. As much as I abhor this idiot’s idea of burning the Koran, he has the right to do so under our Constitution. We have to protect offensive speech or we risk losing all our rights to free speech.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 08 October 2010 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  2289
Joined  2007-07-05

Let’s burn physics books on 9/11/11.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

6 of 6