SPOCK
Posted: 15 September 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

Is he the role-model for this forum?  If so, get me outta here. 
If not him, who is it (factual or fictional person)?

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 15 September 2010 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Hubert Farnsworth?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 15 September 2010 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07

I kind of think only kids/young adults need role models.

Any role model held is likely the result of false impressions.

Posted: 15 September 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Gnos is correct.  I think intelligent adults can recognize characteristics they like in a wide variety of people and possibly try to develop them to an extent.  Of course, they may have characteristics they may not like so they can ignore or reject them.  Spock, S. Hawkings, George Carlin, Kathrine Hepburn, Leonardo da Vinci, Franz Schubert, are just a few of the famous people (or characters) I admire.  There are a great many others who are not famous, but their names would be meaningless here.

There is a much larger reservoir of people and characters with behaviors I don’t care for.  I’m not going to list them, but in a momentary glance at an above post, I misread it for a second and that brought to mind one of them; a character I enjoyed thoroughly, but who had a terrible or tragic flaw - Humbert Humbert.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 15 September 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-01-03

GEEZ, general aspiration, is that better?  If a person were to encapsulate everything this forum hopes to achieve/become, then who would that be? 

I’m curious and perhaps looking for some wit.

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 15 September 2010 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I have no idea, and I certainly wouldn’t want to embody (encapsulate???) the views of some of the people here.  I don’t think most of us are hoping to find role models to emulate or to whom to aspire.  Rather, by reading the ideas of others and posting ours, we have to analyze our own thinking and we can hope, to clarify our views (seldom to change them). 

“. . .Some wit”????  Well the surest way to kill humor, for example, is at a party to say, “I want you to meet John.  He’s one of the funniest people I know.  Say something funny, John.”

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2010 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-01-03

This may be jumping the gun a bit (due to a lack of data), but I was genuinely worried this forum was simply full of “Spocks” - people with no human qualities and only reason to guide them.  If that were the case, I would run away as fast as possible.  I like occasionally saying “f**k it” and doing it anyway, even though it is not rational.

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2010 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I think most of us tend to have a number of different facets to our personalities.  Since many of us are in fields that require logical thinking, that Spockian facet does show at times.  However, some of us are wise-asses who kid around, although usually quietly.  Sorry if you’ve missed it.  While I have no qualms about profanity in real life, dependent on the group I’m in at the time, the rules here suggest we hold it down.  So, I would never tell another member to go f**k himself.  Rather, I’d be more sophisticated and suggest that he consider self-copulation.  I would never say that something you said pi**ed me off.  Instead, I’d be more genteel and say you micturated me off.  If this is too urbane for you, I don’t know what to say.  LOL

Occam

Note that in the interests of succinctness I did say wise-asses rather than sagacious gluteous maximi.

Signature 

Posted: 15 September 2010 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 15 September 2010 09:38 PM

Note that in the interests of succinctness I did say wise-asses rather than sagacious gluteous maximi.

Occam

Occam!  You nearly made me exude in my galligaskins… big surprise

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 September 2010 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05
Chudwick - 15 September 2010 05:19 PM

This may be jumping the gun a bit (due to a lack of data), but I was genuinely worried this forum was simply full of “Spocks” - people with no human qualities and only reason to guide them.  If that were the case, I would run away as fast as possible.  I like occasionally saying “f**k it” and doing it anyway, even though it is not rational.

Mr Chudwick, your agonizer please.

psik

PS - Just in case you are too far out of touch with alternate sci-fi realities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE6-vxzboZw

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

‹‹ Muse      Ollie Klubershturf ››