1 of 2
Gluten-Free Is The Latest Fad Diet
Posted: 17 September 2010 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Once again, large groups of people are showcasing their stupidity by flying to the Evil Food Component stars in a rocket ship made of crazy on an engine fueled by ignorance.  But yeah.  Touted as the newest evil little gremlin in our food, gluten is being cut from the diets of thousands of Americans.  Mostly because Gwyneth Paltrow (America’s favorite crazy-pantsed hippie celebrity) blathers on about it and how bad gluten is for you and blah blah blah crazy talk blah.  Oh, and because Chelsey Clinton ordered a gluten-free cake for her wedding.  Why?  I don’t know.  To spite her body or something.  Who knows?

So, does this gluten-free crap have any actual effects?  Well, according to the G-free, or Gree, people it does!  It gives you energy and helps you lose weight.  “My god!” you say.  “Really?”  No, not really.  They’re just cutting out an important and ready source of protein.  Because screw it.  Right?

I know one person who eats gluten-free.  But that’s because she has celiac disease.  So she, you know, needs to.  Medically.  As told to her by her doctor.  Just like the other less than 1% of the population with celiac.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 21 September 2010 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

Yeah I have a friend whose child has celiac disease. Really badly. They discovered it because when he was weaned and moved to solid foods, he suddenly stopped growing. They added vitamins and liquid supplements (like “ensure” drink for kids) but the doctors just couldn’t figure out what was wrong. The baby was having bowel trouble too, so they switched him from milk to lactose free, thinking it was lactose intolerance. Nothing worked, and the baby was still tiny and passed the mark when he should have been speaking - but was silent. He was anemic and had diarrhea. Finally the doctors did an intestinal biopsy (had to be sedated for it) and confirmed celiac disease, very severe. Now on a gluten free diet, the kid is doing better, gained weight, and working with therapists (speech, etc.) to try to catch up with his age group. Hopefully no permanent damage was done and he’ll be well in a couple years when kindergarten starts. But that first year or two without proper nutrition being absorbed really took a toll on the poor little guy.

There are severe cases like this, and then there is the “allergy of the month club” people who say “oh wheat makes me bloated” etc. They read it in a women’s magazine and declare themselves afflicted. That is silly.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 21 September 2010 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I feel sorry for her child, celiac disease is difficult to diagnose, unless the doctor has it on his or her radar. It is not common and mimics a lot of other problems. People I know with a celiac child, usually know of no one else in the family with that problem, making it even more difficult to suspect. Life is MUCH easier after diagnosis. Too bad it has become the fad du jour. There is an upside though, it has never been easier to find gluten free products.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 23 September 2010 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

There was this health food store I use to frequent that had gluten bread.  I loved it and it didn’t cause me to gain any weight.  It was like any other bread, IMO, and tasted great.  Then again, I love breads too.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 September 2010 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Most bread has gluten in it.  It’s actually harder to find bread without gluten than with.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2010 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Dead Monky - 26 September 2010 02:17 PM

Most bread has gluten in it.  It’s actually harder to find bread without gluten than with.

You have to find one made with a gluten free flour. I think rice flour is gluten free.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 September 2010 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

According to Wiki chickpeas, rice, corn, and potatoes are gluten free.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-06-03
Dead Monky - 26 September 2010 02:56 PM

According to Wiki chickpeas, rice, corn, and potatoes are gluten free.

But then there is the competing diet fad, the CORN ALLERGY! I suppose those people will just have to go on the Atkins meat diet.  LOL

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 26 September 2010 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2008-04-11

That is sad, because I know someone with a true corn allergy that was diagnosed about 30 years ago. It has now joined radio waves as an allergy fad. Where were all of the radio wave ‘allergies’ when we all had TVs and transistor radios which received the channels thru air waves? Back then we called it progress. I was changed to a ‘smart’ electric meter that transmits data via radio waves. So far, studies has shown them to be extremely accurate. A local congressman wants the meters removed until they have been proved not to be a ‘health hazard’. I’m more concerned that they are not hackproof, but no one else seems to be addressing that point.

Signature 

Posted: 26 September 2010 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-06-03

My “smart” electric company meter (that gives a reading whenever a utility company truck drives by) had some kind of misfire and I received a $750 electric bill. My bills are usually $250. I’m not concerned about health hazards from “radio waves” I’m concerned about financial hazards! LOL  It took a couple of weeks for them to send someone out to replace the “smart” meter and credit my bill.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2010 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Lousy EMF fearmongerers.  Christ, people will freak out over anything.  If they can’t figure it out in five minutes it must be evil and causing cancer or boiling our innards or something.  Ugh.

Signature 

Posted: 27 September 2010 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Jules - 26 September 2010 07:37 PM

My “smart” electric company meter (that gives a reading whenever a utility company truck drives by) had some kind of misfire and I received a $750 electric bill. My bills are usually $250. I’m not concerned about health hazards from “radio waves” I’m concerned about financial hazards! LOL  It took a couple of weeks for them to send someone out to replace the “smart” meter and credit my bill.  smile

OUCH!! I guess I don’t have that problem because the streets in my neighborhood are too hilly and narrow for large trucks to use. I’ll see what happens when the next good sized earthquake hits.

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2010 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26

How would I be able to sit without my glutens?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 September 2010 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Write4U - 28 September 2010 03:49 AM

Wary carefully! tongue rolleye

Signature 

Posted: 28 September 2010 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5975
Joined  2009-02-26
asanta - 28 September 2010 05:09 AM
Write4U - 28 September 2010 03:49 AM

Wary carefully! tongue rolleye

And plenty of soft pillows. Hummm, do doughnuts have gluten? gulp

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 06 February 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2011-02-05

In Boulder we have entire gluten-free restaurants, as well as breweries that serve gluten-free beer. Don’t even bother trying it. It is terrible.

Signature 

“Ah! How cheerfully we consign ourselves to Perdition!”
-Melville-

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”
-Pynchon-

1 of 2